Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP! My kitten already hates me

LurchTheCat

Lairian
I adopted Lurch one month ago and he’s four months old. Before we adopted him, we prepared, or “catified” the apartment and he seemed to love it here immediately, and he would cuddle us every night. We have another cat of the same age, she is a haired cat with the sweetest behavior, she’s attached at our hip. They get along really well but she plays too rough for him.

Lately, lurch will bite us when we try to pet him during the day, but he will cuddle us so much at night. I think our haired cat taught him to bite, and now he uses it every chance he gets, especially when he’s overstimulated (which we are always looking out for).

At this point the biting issue is out of control. I’ve tried absolutely everything that I could and I don’t know what else to do.

PS, he has is own spaces in the house where he can be away from our other cat, but he honestly loves her and I know she’s not causing him much anxiety during play, but she definitely takes it too far sometimes (biting him too rough).

I attached a photo of them cuddling.

Any advice on the biting would be highly appreciated!!

Attachments

• DDF2B95B-40B7-4F2E-A952-8E3B4882CBD0.jpeg
    DDF2B95B-40B7-4F2E-A952-8E3B4882CBD0.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LurchTheCat , awhh.. hugs..they are precious together.

Is he Neutered? I ask because my Toby was a terror! switching tail, flying the dresser to bite. etc. flat out growling and huffing. I named him Toby terror.
I kept redirecting with a stern AH and gave him time outs . I had to scruff him he was so bad. got him neutered, his hormones settled and his nickname is now "TobyLove" mushy mushy loving boy. this is him now when I tell him "Toby Love," Toby kisses"

Attachments

• toby kisses.jpeg
    toby kisses.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 45

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was going to ask about neuter as well. He’s only 4 months, and some want to wait fir 6 months. But usually a neuter fixes most behavior issues.

Outside of that, my response is always to react with exaggeration when bitten. I make a loud yelping sound and it usually startles them. They figure it out pretty quick. This is what I would do as long as it doesn’t stress them. If they are high anxiety it can drive them away from you.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

LurchTheCat

Lairian
@LurchTheCat , awhh.. hugs..they are precious together.

Is he Neutered? I ask because my Toby was a terror! switching tail, flying the dresser to bite. etc. flat out growling and huffing. I named him Toby terror.
I kept redirecting with a stern AH and gave him time outs . I had to scruff him he was so bad. got him neutered, his hormones settled and his nickname is now "TobyLove" mushy mushy loving boy. this is him now when I tell him "Toby Love," Toby kisses"

Toby is so adorable!! Was he ever an anxious cat when he was biting? Lurch seems anxious- every time I see him walk into a room, his tail is down. But he he has enough tall spots to perch on so he’s not always forced to be on the ground.

You brought up a great point about neutering! He is not yet neutered but I’ve made his appointment for next month, and my other kitten too. Hopefully that does help like you say. I’m sure my cats are raging with hormones being four months old.

Thank you!

LurchTheCat

Lairian
I was going to ask about neuter as well. He’s only 4 months, and some want to wait fir 6 months. But usually a neuter fixes most behavior issues.

Outside of that, my response is always to react with exaggeration when bitten. I make a loud yelping sound and it usually startles them. They figure it out pretty quick. This is what I would do as long as it doesn’t stress them. If they are high anxiety it can drive them away from you.

Thank you! I’ve made both their appointments to get fixed next month.

Lurch seems like an anxious boy, but if I yelp or wiggle him off me when he bites then he will come back at me even harder.

I don’t pet him as much as anymore, only when he’s tired and can handle it, hopefully he will forget about wanting to bite me all together.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think he’ll calm down after a neuter, and as he ages past the kitty stage it will get better too

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LurchTheCat , Toby was a tail twitching growling biting Terror. he is like a different cat now.
I have my vet mark chart. NO Ketamine.
I also confirm ahead of time the anesthesia that will be used. mine uses isoflurane/propofol., and the after care instructions. he had no cone and boys bounce back quick. for females some have used a soft cone.

on a side note: I also learned years ago here in group on spay surgeries to ask if it is abdominal or a flank incision spay.

hugs n head smooches. keep us updated on neuter day!

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I too removed the cone from my boy after his surgery It was stressing him out so much. He calmed down immediately. I just made him wear onesies, little leggings on a tshirt to try prevent him for licking and it worked like a bomb.
Please take not on what the ladies say about anesthesia. As mine came back a demon from hell after surgery it lasted for 10 hours.
My boy is so docile now 1 and a half months later ❤️

Back