Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

newsphynxmommy

Lairian
My poor baby ALWAYS seems to be sick and I can't tell if I am being paranoid or she really does get sick. My breeder was very reputable and I had her checked when I got home. A week later I brought her to the vet since she had weepy eyes and was sneezing a lot. They treated her for an ear infection and gave her antibiotics for a cold. It worked and then a week after that her eye was goopy and half shut so I took her back and the meds they gave me to put on her eye lid worked. Now she is still sneezing and I just came home to find a hard stool that was bloody. I've only had her a month and racked up quite a vet bill. I don't want to run back to the vet right off the bat but I'm so paranoid about her. What should I do?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My poor baby ALWAYS seems to be sick and I can't tell if I am being paranoid or she really does get sick. My breeder was very reputable and I had her checked when I got home. A week later I brought her to the vet since she had weepy eyes and was sneezing a lot. They treated her for an ear infection and gave her antibiotics for a cold. It worked and then a week after that her eye was goopy and half shut so I took her back and the meds they gave me to put on her eye lid worked. Now she is still sneezing and I just came home to find a hard stool that was bloody. I've only had her a month and racked up quite a vet bill. I don't want to run back to the vet right off the bat but I'm so paranoid about her. What should I do?

@newsphynxmommy I have sneezing in my house (five nakeds) since the weather got chilly this winter. I've given three of them an antibiotic injection and nose drops on them and eye ointment on them. It never ends here.

Most cats have herpes and these are the symptoms they can get. Are you using L-Lysine? If you are, increase it when your baby isn't feeling well (sneezing and eye stuff). If you are not, please give it to her...it will help either a lot or a little, but it will help.

I'm curious what eye ointment was used that helped?
I'm also curious about which antibiotic was given orally? Some antibiotics are worthless while others are great.

As far as the blood in the stool: I had that in my house on and off for sooooo long. I practically cried to my vet thinking it was cancer or some other serious illness going on. He kept on telling me it's from their food, but never asked me to change their food because he knew it would be such a long process in my house to switch over.

Well, eventually I switched over. Took me a long time, but I switched from Royal Canin which I swore by to Science Diet Grain Free Chicken canned (it's a loaf type not pieces) and also the dry food as well. Viola! I hardly ever see any blood anymore...almost never. So the vet was right, the blood was from the food.

What food is she eating exactly?
In the meantime, try the L-Lysine or double it if you are already using it.

newsphynxmommy

Lairian
@newsphynxmommy I have sneezing in my house (five nakeds) since the weather got chilly this winter. I've given three of them an antibiotic injection and nose drops on them and eye ointment on them. It never ends here.

Most cats have herpes and these are the symptoms they can get. Are you using L-Lysine? If you are, increase it when your baby isn't feeling well (sneezing and eye stuff). If you are not, please give it to her...it will help either a lot or a little, but it will help.

I'm curious what eye ointment was used that helped?
I'm also curious about which antibiotic was given orally? Some antibiotics are worthless while others are great.

As far as the blood in the stool: I had that in my house on and off for sooooo long. I practically cried to my vet thinking it was cancer or some other serious illness going on. He kept on telling me it's from their food, but never asked me to change their food because he knew it would be such a long process in my house to switch over.

Well, eventually I switched over. Took me a long time, but I switched from Royal Canin which I swore by to Science Diet Grain Free Chicken canned (it's a loaf type not pieces) and also the dry food as well. Viola! I hardly ever see any blood anymore...almost never. So the vet was right, the blood was from the food.

What food is she eating exactly?
In the meantime, try the L-Lysine or double it if you are already using it.
Omg it feels so good to know its not just me! Hopefully your babies get better. I give her blue buffalo. I've heard mixed reviews about it but I asked the vet and he said that it's not a bad brand. I don't give her wet food so I think the bloody stool may be from lack of moisture in her diet but that's only a guess. The eye ointment that the vet gave her is used on humans too apparently not exactly sure of the exact brand. That totally worked and her eye opens all the way now but the watering eyes never seems to end. I'm not sure which oral antibiotic she was on but it worked for like 2 weeks and then it started again as soon as she was done. The vet bills are getting obnoxious so I don't want that to always be my first instinct. I def will try the L-lysine everyone on here swears by it so that needs to be my next move. I just feel bad for my poor baby. She doesn't seem to lack energy though and isn't lethargic. That's why I'm not freaking out because she runs around the house chasing my older cat and she is a ball of energy. Thanks for the reply and the help!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would start giving her wet food at least morning and night.
Along with the continued use of dry.
If she continues sneezing and going on, it could be a URI.
It will need to be treated. Does she drink a lot of water?
A must with the Lysine. Please keep us updated.

newsphynxmommy

Lairian
I would start giving her wet food at least morning and night.
Along with the continued use of dry.
If she continues sneezing and going on, it could be a URI.
It will need to be treated. Does she drink a lot of water?
A must with the Lysine. Please keep us updated.
She drinks a lot of water without being promoted. I am planning on going out to get some wet food in the morning and ordering the l-lysine. She is literally the most medicated kitten. Thanks!

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The stress of coming to a new home can often bring these symptoms ahead. My Brienne got a horrible URI when I brought her home. Lysine is awesome. Having communication with your vet is helpful too. Hope she starts feeling better soon.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Omg it feels so good to know its not just me! Hopefully your babies get better. I give her blue buffalo. I've heard mixed reviews about it but I asked the vet and he said that it's not a bad brand. I don't give her wet food so I think the bloody stool may be from lack of moisture in her diet but that's only a guess. The eye ointment that the vet gave her is used on humans too apparently not exactly sure of the exact brand. That totally worked and her eye opens all the way now but the watering eyes never seems to end. I'm not sure which oral antibiotic she was on but it worked for like 2 weeks and then it started again as soon as she was done. The vet bills are getting obnoxious so I don't want that to always be my first instinct. I def will try the L-lysine everyone on here swears by it so that needs to be my next move. I just feel bad for my poor baby. She doesn't seem to lack energy though and isn't lethargic. That's why I'm not freaking out because she runs around the house chasing my older cat and she is a ball of energy. Thanks for the reply and the help!

@newsphynxmommy I have heard bad reviews on Blue Buffalo over the years. The pet shop employees always try to push it on me saying it's a great brand and has good stuff in it! On the other hand, pet owners have repeatedly told me about bloody stools, etc. You couldn't get me to try Blue Buffalo on any of my pets if you paid me!!!!!!!

Your cat should never be on a dry food only diet. It is so much more important for them to have the canned food than the dry food.

Yes, medicines for pets are very often the same as used on humans. I'm just curious as to what meds were given to her. Especially that the eye ointment you used helped, etc. I get my L-Lysine from my vet's office, but many others on here get it from the internet. This is the one I buy all the time:
upload_2016-1-23_8-8-17.png

Please update us and let us know the progress. Best of luck.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello there. Lots of great advice here, but also wish to reiterate...

Lysine is a great regular supplement. 250 mg twice a day for maintenance and 500 mg twice a day when unwell or suspect unwell or during stressful times. Add this to the wet food.

I just buy the largest jar of NOW lysine (L-Lysine 500 mg - 100 Capsules - NOW Foods) and pull the capsules apart. Each capsule contains 500 mg so it's easy to dump in entirely or add only half (the capsules are easy to put back together).

And definitely wet food is preferred over dry although I know many members who add dry to the wet diet too.

Glad you asked questions. The members here are great. Sending you positive vibes.

newsphynxmommy

Lairian
Hello there. Lots of great advice here, but also wish to reiterate...

Lysine is a great regular supplement. 250 mg twice a day for maintenance and 500 mg twice a day when unwell or suspect unwell or during stressful times. Add this to the wet food.

I just buy the largest jar of NOW lysine (L-Lysine 500 mg - 100 Capsules - NOW Foods) and pull the capsules apart. Each capsule contains 500 mg so it's easy to dump in entirely or add only half (the capsules are easy to put back together).

And definitely wet food is preferred over dry although I know many members who add dry to the wet diet too.

Glad you asked questions. The members here are great. Sending you positive vibes.
Thank you! I just went out in the blizzard this morning to start her on some wet food. Do I give her wet food daily or every other day with dry food on the days off?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Admittedly I'm not a commercial wet food feeder (I do raw), but wet daily or twice a day for the lysine. Someone else help me out here :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@newsphynxmommy I give wet (canned) food 2X a day here (breakfast and dinner) and both times I sprinkle the L-Lysine on top. I also mix a spoonful of pumpkin in their wet food. That helps regulate their bowels. Before I ever used 100% Pure Pumpkin in the can by Libby's (not the pumpkin with spices for a pie), I had very loose stools here all the time.
So every single day feed the canned food.
Depending on how dry or moist the canned food is, you can add a little bit of water to moisten it up a bit more.
I used to keep the dry food out all the time, but they can be piggies and two of my nakeds gained too much weight. So now I just give it to them at their bedtime and keep it out for them all night long until I feed them breakfast.

newsphynxmommy

Lairian
@newsphynxmommy I give wet (canned) food 2X a day here (breakfast and dinner) and both times I sprinkle the L-Lysine on top. I also mix a spoonful of pumpkin in their wet food. That helps regulate their bowels. Before I ever used 100% Pure Pumpkin in the can by Libby's (not the pumpkin with spices for a pie), I had very loose stools here all the time.
So every single day feed the canned food.
Depending on how dry or moist the canned food is, you can add a little bit of water to moisten it up a bit more.
I used to keep the dry food out all the time, but they can be piggies and two of my nakeds gained too much weight. So now I just give it to them at their bedtime and keep it out for them all night long until I feed them breakfast.
Awesome thanks for the advice!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@newsphynxmommy , great advice given - and please be careful going out in blizzard weather :)

I use Now brand 100% pure l-lysine I get online or local vitamin store - about $14 for 1 lb
I sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon on wet food in the morning and mix it in -

I feed Dr Tims Chase dry cat food - jack shape kibble -developed by a vet - it has grains yet it has no poo issues for any of my kitties , no recalls and a frequent buyer program at chewy.com ( they have lots of brands in loyalty programs u can call and ask brands) They also have free cases on Tiki cat canned food etc, free shipping over $49 including litter -
And an amazing 100% satisfaction guarantee on everything including food - if it doesn't work for your kitty call them-

I just added into my rotation Acana grain free Grasslands - it's a small flat kibble , no poo or vomiting issues , no recalls and buyer program too- wil likely add Acana Meadowlands into the rotation of treats

( I feed. Kibble as treats instead of regular treats which often loaded with byproduct and icky stuff that can also cause poo issues)

* my first sphynx came to me on Blue Buffao and had nothing but poo issues -
That is when I switched to Dr Tims Chase kibble and never looked back - using it for at least 3 yrs with all 4 sphynx-
You can call or email the vet directly with questions ( had a FB page and is a practicing vet )

I use the Libby's 100% pure pumpkin too- Toby eats a teaspoon as a treat :)
Acana food has l-lysine amd the 11 amino acids as well as pumpkin it why I put it in the rotation

My one kitty came with Terramycin opthalmic oinment just in case I needed it -
Used it maybe 3x when I first got her and no longer need to use it

Please keep us updated :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 22

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
UPDATE: Hey Everyone thanks for all the advice! I started her on wet food and bought some nose relief drops for her to put in her water. Since I've made these changes she has been sooo much better. I'm happy to say she hasn't been sick in weeks! Thanks again

So happy to hear the improvement.
What is "nose relief drops"?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
UPDATE: Hey Everyone thanks for all the advice! I started her on wet food and bought some nose relief drops for her to put in her water. Since I've made these changes she has been sooo much better. I'm happy to say she hasn't been sick in weeks! Thanks again

That is so wonderful. Happy.

Toa and Ross

Staff member

Glad to hear she hasn't been sick in weeks!
She's such an adorable beautiful little girl

Yoda mom

Staff member
awh! So glad Sasha is feeling better!

Head smooches to Sasha and Sophie!
Keep the good news updates and adorable pics coming!

Back