Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! My sphynx has 'scars' all over but I think they're something else!

Is my kitten poorly?

• Total voters

Kirsty

Lairian
I bought a kitten. I now believe from someone who I shouldn't. I noticed scars on the way home but hadn't noticed them in the house. Some were round so assumed ring worm scars and started asking some questions. Vet doesn't have a clue what they are and I'm now led to believe by a few breeders that she may infact be poorly. Can anyone help me out please?!
image.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Kirsty A girl we rescued years ago had ringworm and the scars left did not look anything like that. But we caught ringworm as soon as it showed up, so if your baby had it for quite some time, I would not rule it out. I see bumps/pimples and that is what I would be most concerned with.
I say remain calm and see you vet for the usual wellness check up. Do you have one scheduled yet? If not, try to get one in as soon as possible. These guys have lots of skin/pigmentation variances, so I would not worry yet. Please update us.

patti

Kirsty

Lairian
Thanks for your speedy replies. She is eating loads and playing loads. She was 1.005kg when she had her final jab with her breeder. I bought her 12 days later and took her to the vets on the Monday making it 14 days from her jab. She was 1.008kg she is now 1.400kg so has gained well with us. She was fed a diet of whiskas biscuits with her breeder, here she has raw with Royal canine dry food down at all times. She did see my vet who was totally mythed by the scars and didn't think they looked like scars from siblings. She's fine in herself other than these white circles all over her. Her lumps are healing flea bites which she was covered in when we got her (we picked fleas of her and her siblings whilst there viewing her!) we has our vet worm her and check her over and other than being a little skinny she was happy with her so long as she gained weight which she has. My dream was to show and possibly breed in the future but obviously with these scars I doubt showing is possible (oh and a little chunk out of her ear she must have had taken off by a sibling also!) I'm booking with the vet again in the morning as I spoke to a lady who said I need to check she isn't maybe carrying something (an std) and check it's nothing sinister as to be honest it's a lot of 'scars' on such a tiny baby! I feel the whole 'sphynx baby' experience has been ruined! I worry every time I look at her little marks xxx

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you came to the right place...we all know how wonderful a new baby is, and we will do our best to not let you feel down. Best way to do that is jumping right in and start sharing pics like you are :) Kudos to you!

I did not see any red scabs or anything fresh on the skin that looks festered, so that is a huge plus! You will be surprised how much they change in a year and darken up and skin changes. If truly scarred and not able to show GAGA, don't sweat it, you will know what to look for next time and you will love her even more for educating you for what to look for in the future.

patti

FeyAngel

Lairian
Scars or no, your little girl is a beauty! And it sounds like she has just as beautiful of a personality! I hope everything goes well for you and her. Please keep us posted as to what you find out. And welcome to the Lair by the way! :happy:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just another thing to toss around with your vet - is it vitiligo (loss of pigment)? Are the white patches actually bald, or still covered in the fine hair and just white?

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so glad she's found a loving home with you. You sound like a loving, dedicated sphynx mom wanting only the best for your little one. She couldn't be in better hands. She's a cutie pie! Hope you get some diagnosis from your vet.

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am absolutely no expert but my guess is that's just her coloring. Besides the pink bumps, which must be the flea bites the white areas just look like pigment to me (and cute to boot, if that's hopefully what it is).

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. I couldn't help you at all with what those places are. Good your going to the Vet.
I noticed in your intro, you said you feed raw diet with royal canin dry out at all times.
You can't feed raw and dry like that. You have to time the both, because of digestion rates.
@susi794 and @zoinks can help you with that. I don't feed raw. But, there has to be so much time in between feeding
the two. Let us know what out find out about your baby.

Kirsty

Lairian
Ooh really. I didn't know about the raw and rc needing to be fed certain amount of times. If possible can someone please private message me about this? The white marks don't have hair and don't feel raised or anything. They don't even feel dry? I hope it is just pigment. Her mam was a tortie and her dad a red tabby I don't know if this makes any difference? GAGA has the vets at 4.10 so I will update from work as my partner is taking her xxx

susi794

Staff member
Raw digests much faster than dry food and feeding them at the same time can cause gastric distress. Try to have at least six hours between the two types of food. I have no idea what the skin markings are,but am leaning toward pigmentation?

Kirsty

Lairian
Our vet thinks the markings aren't right and she needs biopsys and scrapings. Her breeder is taking her back to have all the tests done so GAGA won't be staying with us :( I'm gutted! Xxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Hugs)) I send prayers that the breeder does have Gaga tested and gets to the bottom of it so perhaps you can be reunited- please keep us updated-

Kirsty

Lairian
I can't bare to part with her.shes so lovely and has come on so much since we got her. She's gaining weight and happy and if she's sick at least we will take care of her. I suspect her breeder won't! Xxx

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well tell her you'll keep her and pay for the medical expenses? When I got Simba he was ill from a horrible breeder, but I nursed him back to health myself because I refused to send him back there. He is healthy and happy now!

Back