Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP! New Kitty Introduction!!

Pbinky

Banned
I just purchased my second sphynx boy. my first is 9 months and the new guy is 3 months. before i brought home the second kitty (Skinner), the first one (Pbinky) was loving and sweet. Yesterday i brought home Skinner and now everything is crazy. All Pbinky wants to do is pin down Skinner and bite his neck! He isn't drawing blood but it's enough for Skinner to meow and cry. Last night i separated them for bed time. Pbinky slept with me (mommy) and Skinner slept with my husband in the guest bedroom. this morning it's the same thing all over again. Pbinky chewing on the skinners neck. I'm not sure what to do but i think i want to bring back Skinner and get back to life the way it used to be before Skinner. Please help! What should i do???!?!?!?:Sweat:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Pbinky,
Is Pbinky fixed? It sounds like the same situation we had with Leonidas and Max. They just would not get along. I would give it at least a week and just monitor the situation to make sure no one gets hurt. Make sure there nails are clipped also so there is less scratching to the skin. It's a territory thing. Leo and Athena took about a week when they finally became friends. Spend lots of play time with both as much as possible to try to keep them occupied and together at the same time. Its going to be a time thing.
Good luck!
I know exactly how you feel, we just wanted our Leo back!

Pbinky

Banned
Thanks so much for your advice. Yes, Pbinky is fixed and so is Skinner. I have the next 2 weeks off work and i plan to devote it to the both of them. They are not scraching so much as biting. Pbinky is doing all the biting and Skinner just crys and trembles. He's so tiny compared to Pbinky. Right now my husband is in the guest bedroom having a nap with Skinner and i'm hanging out with Pbinky. He seems to be mad at me but still gives me some affection. it's not the same. i even thought about calling the breeder today to maybe bring back Skinner. I really don't want to do that cause i want Pbinky to have a friend when my husband and I are at work. i'm just afraid he's going to kill him! I tried bringing the two boys together again for some play time but Pbinky got too rough again and then i separated them. Is that the right thing to do? Skinner is so terrifed and hasn't relaxed one bit since he got here. He did eat a bit last night but did not want any breakfast. he even vomited twice this morning. just clear fluid came up. I'm so sad for the little guy. i feel like i can't form a proper bond with him because Pbinky won't let me near him. if i go into the room where Skinner is Pbinky will be at the door meowing like crazy. I feel like such a bad mummy. What steps should i follow to integrate them? Sorry for sounding desperate but i kind of feel that way right now. I'm not %100 well, i have a neurological disorder called Trigeminal Neuralgia which causes me a tremoundous amount of pain in my face and scalp. Sleep and relaxation is key to staying reletively comfortable but i'm finding the stress of the past 24 hours a bit overwhelming. i guess i just need some help to make things go smoothly for the boys and their mummy who loves them very much.
thanks for your help and i appreciate any extra help or tips you may be able to offer!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
To properly introduce the cats follow these steps:

1.put one cat one one side of a door and the other cat on the other side. Make them stay there for at least 15 minutes.Doing this will get them used to each others scent and sound.

2.do the same thing as #1 but use a screen door or put the new cat in a carrier for 15 minutes or vice versa if you don't have a screened door. They will be able to see each other and get even more used to each other.Put them there until they dont hiss scratch the screen or give each other the evil eye.If it does not work the first time then keep trying every day.

3.carry each cat to each other and see their reaction to not have somthing between them.If they dont cooperate then move them back to #1 or 2 depending on how mean they are to each other.

4.Put them on the ground together if they fight move back to 1 2 or 3.if they approach each other without fighting then your on the right track.if they run away from each other than go back to 3.
hope this helps
just be patient it does take time, at least a week!:Wink:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, pbinky and welcome to our forum! As my husband said we had just the same problem with Leo and Max, Max needed A home so we took him ( we also have Athena and 2 babies but the are in there own room for now) Leo is 2 and Max 1 neither of them are fixed, they fought so bad scratching and biting but they did draw blood, I think that is the part that you have to look for because if they are truly fighting verse just trying to see what the other is all about, I would keep them away from each other when you are not home but let them be together if you are home (as long as there is no blood!) I know it is hard when your first cat looks at you so sad I felt like I was Cheating on Leo every time Max sat with me! In the end Max went to A new home with one of our members (Silly4lilly and Pete) Petes mom now has her first Sphynx) I think you have A very good chance of yours getting along because the new one is still A baby and the two I had where not, I think that the new one is just being A kitten and your first little guy is just stating that he was there first! Make sure it does not get too rough and keep giving lots of love to them! Best of Luck and please keep us posted!

Pbinky

Banned
Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted on how my boys progress. Thankfully no blood has been drawn! I will give it time and hopefully the boys will get along. As for the steps, i think Pbinky and The Skinner are probably at step 3. Until they start play fighting... i guess it's play fighting since there is no real biting hard?? I do break it up because Skinner cries.
Thanks again everyone, i'm feeling a bit better now!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't have two sphynx's, but I do have a house full of mixed pets. My 1 year old sphynx Meecho does the neck biting thing to our new puppy Suki. She doesn't break the skin but it does make the puppy cry and shake in fear. It's now been a couple months and the biting has definately subsided. Once Meecho got used to Suki they will actually play and kiss together. Now every now and then Meecho gets testy and will grab the neck and bite but it isn't her first reaction anymore. One thing that helped was a spray bottle. Someone on the site gave me that idea. If I saw her start to do it I will simply spray her and she would have second thoughts.

Brooke

Banned
I just purchased my second sphynx boy. my first is 9 months and the new guy is 3 months. before i brought home the second kitty (Skinner), the first one (Pbinky) was loving and sweet. Yesterday i brought home Skinner and now everything is crazy. All Pbinky wants to do is pin down Skinner and bite his neck! He isn't drawing blood but it's enough for Skinner to meow and cry. Last night i separated them for bed time. Pbinky slept with me (mommy) and Skinner slept with my husband in the guest bedroom. this morning it's the same thing all over again. Pbinky chewing on the skinners neck. I'm not sure what to do but i think i want to bring back Skinner and get back to life the way it used to be before Skinner. Please help! What should i do???!?!?!?:Sweat:

I just introduced a new sphynx, Helen, into my home a couple weeks ago. I didn't have the problem with biting that you have, but my boy Walter was not happy that Helen was invading his home. Every time he saw her, he would hiss and swat at her and he was clearly upset with me. He was distant and stayed away from me for a couple of days and I was afraid he wouldn't be the same because Helen was there. Fortunately, Helen wasn't bothered by it so it made everything easier.

The way I got them to be able to be in the same room together without hissing was by sitting on the floor with both of them, giving them equal amounts of love, talking calmly, telling them they were good kitties, and giving them canned food and treats when they were behaving together. Basically rewarding their good behavior. I also had a fuzzy mouse on the end of a string that they both liked to play with, and they were more interested in the toy than attacking each other. I like to say they bonded over toys and treats! It's been a few weeks now since my kitties met, and they are completely comfortable together. They chase each other all over the house and play together constantly. Walter is even more lovable than he was before I brought Helen into the house. They even sleep together now. Walter seems to be a happier cat because he has a playmate - sphynxes crave companionship, so getting Pbinky a friend was a good idea! I wouldn't give up just yet.

The most important element here is going to be time. It will be a gradual adjustment, but I think your kitties will do better over the next couple of weeks. They are surprisingly good at adapting to their environment if you just give them space and time.

Also, our pets are highly effected by our temperament, so do your best to remain calm and reassuring. Your kitties will definitely pick up on that attitude and feel more comfortable!

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
It is to late now but you I would have done the intro slow.
I leave the new cat in the carrier and let them sniff it then the new cat goes in teh bathroom.
I am sure they will get along soon.

Pbinky

Banned
Thanks so much for all the good advice! I just spoke with the breeder and because i just brought Skinner home yesterday he suggested to give him a bath. That way all the scents from the breeder's home and all the other cats like his mom and litter mates will all be washed away. Starting with a clean slate, so to speak. So now i just discovered that Skinner HATES baths. Pbinky tolerates them but doesn't go nuts like Skinner. Anyhow, i managed to bathe him in a centimeter of water but it still did the trick. After that i let Skinner relax a bit in a nice warm towel fresh from the dryer. Then i let the boys play together. This time it lasted 20 minutes before Pbinky was pinning him down a biting his neck. Much better than the last time when he went straight for the neck. It's awful scary to watch my boy, who i thought was so sweet and loving and cuddly turn into such a bully! I know this is going to take time. Good news, Skinner had some dinner tonight. I'm going to let him digest a bit then let the boys play again. My husband and i are so tired. 5 hours of sleep last night...that's all the boys would allow us! Thanks so much again for all the advice, especially about the toys and being on the floor with them. It works for a while and then they chase each other around...but Pbinky eventually catches up to Skinner and tries to "kill" him. That's when mummy steps in to break up the fight. :Surprise:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
sounds like Skinner's got some growing to do. Pbinky better watch out. Skinner could turn out to be a vicious beast when he gets older. I think Pbinky is just playing. Maybe a little rough but playing nonetheless. They're not hissing at each other are they?

Pbinky

Banned
They don't start off hissing but when Pbinky grabs Skinner by the neck Skinner cries out and i've only heard Skinner hiss a couple of times. I hope Pbinky is just playing. It's just scary to watch Pbinky behave that way. My husband and i are on constant guard when the two are together. I'm just hoping this gets better soon! We manged several 20 - 30 minute play sessions with the boys yesterday and Pbinky seems a little less in "killer mode" since i bathed Skinner.
This morning Skinner threw up again. Clear fluid again but he's still running around the house on turbo. Pbinky is upstairs right now sleeping so Skinner has free run of the place. I'm just wondering why he's been throwing up?? Second morning in a row.... :Sweat:

Brooke

Banned
They don't start off hissing but when Pbinky grabs Skinner by the neck Skinner cries out and i've only heard Skinner hiss a couple of times. I hope Pbinky is just playing. It's just scary to watch Pbinky behave that way. My husband and i are on constant guard when the two are together. I'm just hoping this gets better soon! We manged several 20 - 30 minute play sessions with the boys yesterday and Pbinky seems a little less in "killer mode" since i bathed Skinner.
This morning Skinner threw up again. Clear fluid again but he's still running around the house on turbo. Pbinky is upstairs right now sleeping so Skinner has free run of the place. I'm just wondering why he's been throwing up?? Second morning in a row.... :Sweat:

Hopefully the vomiting is just Skinner's nerves. He's got a lot going on right now, but it sounds like you're already making progress :ThumbsUp:. And, it really does sound like Pbinky is just playing, just playing a little too rough.

It's very good that Skinner has some time to check the place out on his own. I have a feeling that once Skinner gets more comfortable with his new home and feels more confident with his surroundings and really begins to form a bond with your family, he'll start to stand up for himself more when Pbinky gets too rough. I have no doubt they'll be great friends! :Laugh:

You might also try switching the blankets on your beds. The blanket you used with Pbinky last night that has his scent on it, trade it out with the blanket your hubby used with Skinner in the other room. That way the cats can get more accustomed to each other's scent.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Speaking of vomiting, Butterball had his first vomit episode since I got him in December 2008. He went from jolly and happy to mean and isolated, then puked, then went back to jolly and happy. This occurred over a 10 minute time frame. Very weird. First and only time he puked. He puked on some newspapers I had next to the litter box. So no cleanup. I've been pretty lucky with vomiting.

I have a friend who's last name is Skinner and I call him Skindog so from now on I shall refer to Skinner as Skindog. Well, I just hope Skindog is just getting used to new food and surroundings. I'd hate it to be more serious. We've had enough sphynx tragedies on the site and it's only six months old! Keep us updated. I think as long as he's holding down food and not vomiting after every meal Skindog should be A-OK.

I just thought of something that is rather tasteless. I probably shouldn't post it but oh well. You have permission to rip me if you are offended. By your description it sounds like they are trying to mate. Maybe Pbinky is gay. hahaha

Brooke

Banned
I just thought of something that is rather tasteless. I probably shouldn't post it but oh well. You have permission to rip me if you are offended. By your description it sounds like they are trying to mate.

Actually, ElGato, you're not that far off. I'd guess Pbinky isn't really trying to mate, but probably trying to establish dominance...the same way that a dog might "hump" another dog. :Wink:

Pbinky

Banned
The boys are actually having a nap together!! It's really sweet! This morning they played for 2 hours before it got rough and now we are on 3 hours and they're napping together!!!! I'm shocked! It's light night a day from yesterday!!! :BigSmile:

Skinner is keeping his food down. He ate all his breakfast this morning so he's fine. I hope he doesn't vomit again first thing tomorrow morning...But he seems well and happy. So is mummy. :Laugh:

Thanks again everyone for all your encouragement, tips and support!!!

Brooke

Banned
YAY!! :Laugh: :ThumbsUp: Good job, Mom!

Now that things have settled down a bit, you can get to the really important stuff - posting some pictures so we can see the little cuties!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
The boys are actually having a nap together!! It's really sweet! This morning they played for 2 hours before it got rough and now we are on 3 hours and they're napping together!!!! I'm shocked! It's light night a day from yesterday!!! :BigSmile:

Skinner is keeping his food down. He ate all his breakfast this morning so he's fine. I hope he doesn't vomit again first thing tomorrow morning...But he seems well and happy. So is mummy. :Laugh:

Thanks again everyone for all your encouragement, tips and support!!!

I bet the look so cute together(hint):Surprise: So very happy they are doing better, before you know it they will best buds!

Pbinky

Banned
The are soooooo cute! Pbinky seems to be a little less of a bully and Skinner is now more comfortable and more confident so he's fighting back more when Pbinky plays with him. it's really sweet! And they cuddle!!! I've never seen anything so adorable!!
I have a few questions still.... at night my husband is still sleeping in the guest bedroom with Skinner and the door is closed. i sleep with Pbinky and he still has the run of the house. I'm off for 2 weeks and don't plan on leaving the house but when i go back to work should i still separate the boys? and if so how? Do i keep Skinner in the bedroom with Pbinky have the free run of the house? And how long do i separate the boys at night? Both my husband and i sleep heavily and wouldn't hear the boys fighting, especially if they are downstairs. I was thinking of waiting until Skinner gets bigger...like in a month from now...?? What do you guys think?

i'm going to post the cutest picture of my boys!! take a look !

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It's soooo good to see they are getting along. I think the neck biting thing is a play thing with a slight aggression to it. Like I've said in my previous posts I have the same issue with my sphynx and whenever I've seen videos of other sphynx's playing they all do it. Makes me wonder if it is just one of their kooky quirks. I think your doing a great job so far and keep up the good work!!! :ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
The are soooooo cute! Pbinky seems to be a little less of a bully and Skinner is now more comfortable and more confident so he's fighting back more when Pbinky plays with him. it's really sweet! And they cuddle!!! I've never seen anything so adorable!!
I have a few questions still.... at night my husband is still sleeping in the guest bedroom with Skinner and the door is closed. i sleep with Pbinky and he still has the run of the house. I'm off for 2 weeks and don't plan on leaving the house but when i go back to work should i still separate the boys? and if so how? Do i keep Skinner in the bedroom with Pbinky have the free run of the house? And how long do i separate the boys at night? Both my husband and i sleep heavily and wouldn't hear the boys fighting, especially if they are downstairs. I was thinking of waiting until Skinner gets bigger...like in a month from now...?? What do you guys think?

i'm going to post the cutest picture of my boys!! take a look !

As quickly as these boys are getting used to each other, I don't think you'll need to wait that long. I think you'll know when its safe to leave them alone together. I bet by the time your 2 weeks are over and you're ready to go back to work, they'll be completely ready to be left on their own.

Why don't you try sleeping with both of them in the same room one night? will you then be able to hear and wake up if there are any problems? The only concern there is if either of them would need to go use the litter box during the night, but it sounds like Pbinky is already used to staying in the room with the door closed.

I honestly think that continuing to separate them might prolong the process of them bonding. It's almost like they have to be reintroduced every day...does that make sense?

Pbinky

Banned
Actually when i sleep with Pbinky our door is always open. My husband and Skinner sleep in the guest room with a litter box and the door closed. I just don't trust Pbinky yet. He is still "snacking" on Skinners neck. I am breaking up the fights but yesterday i did not separate them for the whole day! When it's bed time i'm afraid of having them together. I would not hear them sneak off, perhaps downstairs, where Pbinky can bite him. It is getting better though. This morning i've had to break up numerous "fights". Also, Skinner woke up with a very swollen and watery eye. We have an appointment at 11:15 this morning to see what's going on. He also still has diarrhea. I'm hoping this is from him still being nervous and adjusting to his surroundings.
My goodness this is much more stressful than i thought it would be.

Pbinky

Banned
Looks like Skinner has Conjunctivitis.... oh boy. he has eye cream that i have to give him 3x daily. i'm also starting him on Lysine. my poor boy.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Skinner, I feel for him I get that alot ( can't tell you how many times I have to get new eyeliner:ThumbsDown:) Keep up with the meds and look at the bright side no eyeliner:Laugh:

Back