Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Frankieyates

Lairian
My partner and I got our first sphynx kitten Sid on Saturday. He’s such a snuggly loving baby but he is so so loud. He screams constantly throughout the day while my partner is working (he works from home) but even when he’s in the same room, he doesn’t get any comfort from being close and will continue to scream. It’s almost like he is lost and/or confused. Is it a settling in period? We don’t know what to do, he has toys and I’ve ordered him some interactive ones that roll around on their own for when we are both working. He always has water and food and his tray is always clean. He also has a cosy bed which has one of my blankets and a fluffy jacket of mine that he took a liking to in it. We have tried to let him sleep in our room with us at night but he will not settle and continuously scream. We want him to be as happy as he can be and it breaks my heart to hear him crying like that but we don’t know what to do. It doesn’t sound like he’s in pain or too distressed and he makes the same noise when he’s running around the house trying to find us and figure out which room we are in. When cuddling he will settle for a while but then he will jump off us and carry on. Help!
5A4DD0AF-745E-406F-9E2F-3454580A1624.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
My goodness what a cutie! We have a very vocal crew...3 of ours just like to sing/scream for no reason. It is a social breed and it comes with the territory unless you see an uptick in vocalization which feels out of the norm I would think things are good.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think it is quite normal for kitten to behave that way for a few weeks right after being taken from mom and siblings. It’s all he’s ever known and now he needs time to get used to his new normal.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
Happy Sid gotcha! sooo adorable! how old is he? just remember it is a big new world for him... love, patience and time... we have seen the same question here and then wonderful follow up updates once settled in! agree with @Sheldon13 , hugs n head smooches, you got this..

ps... sometimes it helps to set up a kitty safe room while they settle in... spare bathroom bedroom to get comfy one area of the home at a time.

Frankieyates

Lairian
I think it is quite normal for kitten to behave that way for a few weeks right after being taken from mom and siblings. It’s all he’s ever known and now he needs time to get used to his new normal.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Thank you! I hoped this was the case. My partner is really struggling with his work because he can’t be on the phone to clients while Sid is screaming and it’s a lose lose situation as he won’t settle either way whether he’s in or out of the room. We will keep doing what we’re doing and hope that it works!

Frankieyates

Lairian
Happy Sid gotcha! sooo adorable! how old is he? just remember it is a big new world for him... love, patience and time... we have seen the same question here and then wonderful follow up updates once settled in! agree with @Sheldon13 , hugs n head smooches, you got this..

ps... sometimes it helps to set up a kitty safe room while they settle in... spare bathroom bedroom to get comfy one area of the home at a time.

Thank you! He’s 10 weeks old. I thought/hoped it would just be a new settling in period. He’s getting lots of cuddles whenever possible and we have a small kitchen where his bed, toys, food, water and tray is. We did try him in our bedroom but he wouldn’t settle at all and kept us awake all night. I just want to ensure we are doing the best possible for him!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Frankieyates , awhhhh such a good boy... he will settle more and more... he is young at 10 weeks old, just a baby.. some stay with their mums till 14-16 weeks. he is bonding wonderful! such a little helper! great update! surely we will see more and more each day... hugs n head smooches

Frankieyates

Lairian
@Frankieyates , awhhhh such a good boy... he will settle more and more... he is young at 10 weeks old, just a baby.. some stay with their mums till 14-16 weeks. he is bonding wonderful! such a little helper! great update! surely we will see more and more each day... hugs n head smooches

Oh I didn’t know some stay with mama until that age! He’s such a tiny baby
He seems to be getting extremely attached to me, so he’s building nice bonds there with us both! I will continue to update!

Attachments

• 03806A6E-E43E-4F61-8FD8-0ACF03DE745B.jpeg
    03806A6E-E43E-4F61-8FD8-0ACF03DE745B.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 47

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations with Sid! What a handsome cute he is. Happy to see he’s settling is and already bonding with you. I’m sure he will yell less when he gets used to his new house and family

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awe, what a sweetie! Mine will climb up my back and sit on my shoulders when I am doing stuff and she snuggles on my lap when I’m sitting. Looks like yours might be the same.

Frankieyates

Lairian
Awe, what a sweetie! Mine will climb up my back and sit on my shoulders when I am doing stuff and she snuggles on my lap when I’m sitting. Looks like yours might be the same.

Haha yep that sounds familiar! I was cooking earlier and he kept climbing up my legs to sit on my shoulder! It makes you feel so loved, it’s the sweetest!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Frankieyates be super careful around stove... they are notorious heat seekers, I have to put mine in my bedroom when I used the stove top. another kitty recently burned a paw,.. just be super careful, these babies are monkey cat dog baby all in one for life :) careful with washer dryers too.. always check inside before turning on... they are lightening fast and can hide in the laundry so easy in the machine..

just an fyi :) hugs n head smooches

Frankieyates

Lairian
@Frankieyates be super careful around stove... they are notorious heat seekers, I have to put mine in my bedroom when I used the stove top. another kitty recently burned a paw,.. just be super careful, these babies are monkey cat dog baby all in one for life :) careful with washer dryers too.. always check inside before turning on... they are lightening fast and can hide in the laundry so easy in the machine..

just an fyi :) hugs n head smooches

Oh absolutely, I’d never let him anywhere near the stove! Thank you for the advice :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
lol , baby Sid will have you well trained with his cuteness! yes he is young, many of us have been there with young kitties at some point, go with the flow , just takes a little longer as Kelnym mentioned. hugs n head smooches

Back