Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
We just just got our sphynx kitten last week. When we got her she had a scab on her back that has gotten bigger and is dry, hard and scaly to touch. It seems to be getting bigger. I brought her to the vet and he was not sure what it was. There is only one but it is the weirdest spot. I have gone all over the Internet and cannot find anything.
My cat is not lethargic or acting any way but normal. She is a little purring machine and a lover. I just don't know what the spot is. I have been rubbing coconut oil on it and it does moisturize the spot but it hasn't healed. Please help me identify this so I can help her. Or if it's just a normal healing of sphynx skin that would be great to know as well. I have never had a sphynx before but so happy and in love now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 179

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx Welcome to the lair family! What's your babies name?

Just curious if the vet did a skin scraping to look under microscope for bacteria etc-
Did the vet prescribe any medication ? Antibiotics?
Or consult with his or her colleague?

What area are you in?
I would definitely get a second opinion and perhaps start a thread I'm the looking for a vet
Thread for your area

Also , just a thought - was your kitty microchipped in this location?

I am sure others will chime in
@Catzzzmeow has great advice on skin stuff

Hope you get answers and a vet diagnosis soon
Pawsitive healing vibes sent!
Will be checking in for updates

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
We did not have a scrape. He thought perhaps this could be a reaction to her first vaccine. I will be calling on Monday to see about getting a scape. A great suggestion. It is just so weird! If I still have no answers after a second time I will seek out a second opinion. She is otherwise a very happy healthy kitten in every way possible

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx , Good to follow up with vet and ask ask if a scraping is called for at this point - some kitties do have reactions to shots - I don't know what it is and we can't diagnosis here -

What shots did she have?

I can't wait to see pics of her cute little face!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree get a skin scrape. Usually I would say to try veterycin spray, but I fear that will dry it out even more. It almost looks like a burn. Is your baby licking it? Can you share a few more pics of it so we can see exactly where it is etc? I am hesitant at suggesting because there is only 1 spot, but could be a ring worm infection. It looks different on hairless cats. If you google ringworm infection and look at images, you will see some spots can get quite big. Maybe your vet can let you slip in quick and do a black light test on it. But only 50% show positive for ringworm with the blacklight test, if positive you can avoid the skin scrape. But due to ringworm being contagious, I would not wait just to be safe. You will also see if you read up on ringworm the spots are hard and crusty. Please keep us updated @Luvmisphynx

Patti

Last edited:

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
@Luvmisphynx , Good to follow up with vet and ask ask if a scraping is called for at this point - some kitties do have reactions to shots - I don't know what it is and we can't diagnosis here -

What shots did she have?

I can't wait to see pics of her cute little face!

I was just hoping that perhaps someone had
I agree get a skin scrape. Usually I would say to try veterycin spray, but I fear that will dry it out even more. It almost looks like a burn. Is your baby licking it? Can you share a few more pics of it so we can see exactly where it is etc? I am hesitant at suggesting because there is only 1 spot, but could be a ring worm infection. It looks different on hairless cats. If you google ringworm infection and look at images, you will see some spots can get quite big. Maybe your vet can let you slip in quick and do a black light test on it. But only 50% show positive for ringworm with the blacklight test, if positive you can avoid the skin scrape. But due to ringworm being contagious, I would not wait just to be safe. You will also see if you read up on ringworm the spots are hard and crusty. Please keep us updated @Luvmisphynx

Patti

I know it's not a burn. It has grown and in a way I hope it is ring worm because it is easily cured. Wouldn't ring worm spread and create more spots? Getting skin scrape for sure!!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I am hesitant to say it is, but the crusty hard fits it. It also looks a bit different on hairless cats.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We just just got our sphynx kitten last week. When we got her she had a scab on her back that has gotten bigger and is dry, hard and scaly to touch. It seems to be getting bigger. I brought her to the vet and he was not sure what it was. There is only one but it is the weirdest spot. I have gone all over the Internet and cannot find anything.
My cat is not lethargic or acting any way but normal. She is a little purring machine and a lover. I just don't know what the spot is. I have been rubbing coconut oil on it and it does moisturize the spot but it hasn't healed. Please help me identify this so I can help her. Or if it's just a normal healing of sphynx skin that would be great to know as well. I have never had a sphynx before but so happy and in love now.
That appears to possibly be ring worm, I would confirm it with your vet, be aware that ring worm is contagious and can be transmitted to humans.

Ringworm?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Congratulations with your little girl. I don't have advice to offer but wanted to chime in to welcome you.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi @Luvmisphynx! Wanted to welcome you to Sphynxlair! :)
Hope you get answers at the vet, and we would all love an update.
Congrats on your new addition! Can't wait to see more photos of her!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx , all paws crossed here -
Wow! You are fast into the vet :)
That is one loved baby!

Hopefully they vet can give you answers today
I would want them to rule out ringworm , or staph infection

Thank you for wanting to share an update so we can all learn and grow together here

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
@Luvmisphynx , all paws crossed here -
Wow! You are fast into the vet :)
That is one loved baby!

Hopefully they vet can give you answers today
I would want them to rule out ringworm , or staph infection

Thank you for wanting to share an update so we can all learn and grow together here

It is ringworm! He did a scratch test for definitive but we are starting treatment today. The scratch test takes awhile to wait for results but he wanted to start treatment right away. I have a topical cream, a wash, and an oral medication for her. It will take some time to heal but I am thankful for this community's help in pushing me to get answers right away! Thank you all. The picture of my Jasmine's ringworm is on this thread so people looking can get the reassurance they need to go to their vet and get their sphynx checked out!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Luvmisphynx So glad you were able to get an answer to the issue. Bet the vet was surprised...lol. Many vets can miss ringworm on these naked babies because it is not the typical lose hair kind of spot. I had a hunch it was ringworm due to having dealt with it years ago when we rescued a girl. Our vet missed it too. It wasn't until I got ringworm that we put 2 and 2 together. Our girl's spots were tiny freckles and not a single big one like yours so that is why I just wasn't positive. Did he do the blacklight test too? You might want to let your breeder know of this so she can warn the others who might have gotten the other babies.

Patti

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
@Luvmisphynx So glad you were able to get an answer to the issue. Bet the vet was surprised...lol. Many vets can miss ringworm on these naked babies because it is not the typical lose hair kind of spot. I had a hunch it was ringworm due to having dealt with it years ago when we rescued a girl. Our vet missed it too. It wasn't until I got ringworm that we put 2 and 2 together. Our girl's spots were tiny freckles and not a single big one like yours so that is why I just wasn't positive. Did he do the blacklight test too? You might want to let your breeder know of this so she can warn the others who might have gotten the other babies.

Patti

Patti
He didn't do a black light test. He was pretty positive. You are right about vets not knowing. Ours in the first sphynx in his practice so he is learning too. It's hard not to be upset that he didn't catch it, but no one is perfect. This won't happen again!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx , pawsitive vibes sent for a speedy recovery!

(I was suspecting ringworm too :( ) - glad you got back to the vet ASAP and have a treatment plan-

Sharing the photo with others to learn from is a great contribution to the lair community.
I haven't seen one quite like it and I am sure your vet will be extra diligent in future care-
We all learn and grow together - including vets :)
Healing vibes sent!
Please keep us updated
Would love to see your babies face / name picture :) in an introduction thread :) when you get a chance -
I bet a real cutie!

Btw, if from a breeder, I would be contacting ASAP! You mention she had this when you got her-
Not sure what course you have , contract?

I am saddened a breeder would not have this kitty treated by a vet before sending to a new home :(

So glad she is in the best of love and care now with you!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sending well wishes for quick healing. Glad it'll get resolved.

Yeah, Sphynx can throw our vets for a loop sometimes! On the other hand, without fur, they are much easier to inspect!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Lair and kudos on your fast action on getting her ringworm diagnosed. Hope you can get it cleared and out of environment. Best wishes

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So glad you got it figured it out and started on treatment! Now she can get better.
Sending you hugs and best wishes for quick healing!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx , hello .. Thinking of you amd your girl and sending continued healing vibes!
Hopefully the ringworm is healing amd she is doing great!
Please let us know how she is and looking forward to pics of your girl and journey with us!

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
Wanted to follow up on this with results. With oral meds from the vet (once a day), a cream on the spot twice a day, and some medicated pads and a wash my kitten Jasmine is recovering. It is very slow going but the whole spot has turned black and is getting smaller. The crustiness is gone and it is almost the texture of the rest of her skin. My dr says it takes a long time for these spots to heal. One thing I did change was the bathing. I am not doing the wash he gave me. I did it once and it dried her skin out so much it made it worse. So the other three things combined are sufficient. I will post a photo of the healing spot once I am home.

Back