Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! Pimple breakout? Sneezing? Don't know what to do!

Sanctuarie

Lairian
ok - so my beautiful baby boy - is now covered in pimples? zits? I don't know what to call them? All over his body, sporatically head to toe - didn't eat anything differently... no change in cat litter, etc...?
They came to kind of a head - then like scabbed over, and are just now starting to go away... it's been about 3 weeks... they're still there - but yes, going away.
This has appened a couple times before, and same thing, lasted about about 3-4 weeks, and went away. - BUT - The different thing this time, is he is sneezing. He has never eally sneezed before! And now I would say he is sneezing about 4-6 times a day (that I hear him)...
But he doesn't have red eyes, no discharge out of his eyes or nose, no fever, and no change in his behaviour - so help!
Anyone know whats going on with my baby boy?
He is a male, appx 1.5 yrs old, fixed, the only animal in the house, rarely goes outside except for car rides, and is basically treated like a spoiled rotten little child :)
Pampered beyond belief and gets whatever he wants most of the time!
His dies it is just straight dry food, I used to give him about 1-2 cans a week, but every time he would get terrible diarrhea, so I spoke to my breeder & she said to stop.
He also used to get filthy dirty, so I was bathing him once a week. She said to stop that, the more I washed him, the more oil he would produce & dirtier he would get... and heck if she wasn't right. I barely have to bathe him once a month now - he stays amazingly clean & odor free!!
(except for his breath, OMG - LOL )
But now this sneezing thing with the terrible breakout... I am going to try & send some close-ups of the sores - if anyone can shed some light, would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!
Jackie & Guido
p.s. ive never posted this before, i hop im doing it right!!​

Attachments

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Jackie & Guido,

Welcome to the Lair! Sorry I don't have any advice on the breakouts but maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

Hope your baby feels better soon!

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Abby gets "pimply" if I don't bathe her every 2 weeks. Never had a problem with sneezing. BTW, welcome aboard the Lair!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome. You have a sweety. I am not an expert but one of my kitties got bumps and sneezed with coughing. The vet gave her steroids to clear up the "dermatitis" (bumps) and antibiotics for the sneezes and cough. She would get this every so often. My vet said she was just getting hay fever like we do.:Smile:

susi794

Staff member
This sounds and looks like contact dermatitis and an allergic reaction--Boo just got treated for the same thing--sneezing, red bumps all over, but Boo also had a bacterial infection of his ears--came on over night practically--he got an antibiotic and a steroid shot and some ear drops--good as new now. See your vet.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would also say to see the vet. This could be some kind of infection and needs to be cleared up. Also a thought a sphynx could look clean after a month and yes they do need some of their oil but after too much dirt and dust from everyday sphynx things like cat litter and things around the house stick to the sphynx oil and clog the pores, this gives a result of pimple like bumps and left untreated could get a bit infected and red and swollen.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yup - sounds like a vet is in order. I agree with the others. I understand your concept of not bathing your sphynx so often but I would atleast give him a bath once every 2 to 3 weeks while maintaining nails and ears weekly.
He is a gorgeous kitty by the way and welcome to the lair. Keep us posted on what your vet says.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. I agree with the others about seeing your vet. Since Sphynx have no hair to protect their skin sometimes simple things can cause irritation, not to mention fighting off an infection somewhere else can cause a secondary rash.

Good luck. Hope your boys feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi! My new Sphynx kitten also has tiny bumps that scab over & go away, plus a runny eye, sneezing & cough. She actually arrived like this to me, but had had her veterinary check-up within 10 days of flying. I thought it was stress & adjustment to new food, water, etc. But after alsomst a month, I took her to the vet. He said that she had a URI (no kiddin'!), & she got a shot, & eye ointment & clavamox suspension. I hope it makes her feel better! My vet said that sometimes Sphynx cats can have low immune systems. Does anyone know about that? By the way, your cat is beautiful!:BigSmile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My vet said that sometimes Sphynx cats can have low immune systems. Does anyone know about that?
Your vet is right. Some Sphynx can have a weaker immune system than other Sphynx, just like any other breed of cat. A lot of it depends on genetic lines, balanced nutrition, and good prenatal and kitten care. Glad you got your kitten to a vet. I hope he feels better soon.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Once you have visited your vet ....I would try going back to bathing every 1-2 weeks. I think the pores are getting clogged and then infected. Good luck and keep us posted!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Sanctuarie

Lairian
Thanks to everyone for your inputs!!
He is great now, it cleared up on it's own, and he's been smooooooth ever since!
I really hate bringing him to the vet, I am just so afraid I'm going to walk in right after some animal that had some terrible disease or something, and am just paranoid that he'll pick something up! So I just hate to go to the vet, unless really really neccessary! (and if he hadn't clearaed up, then of course I would have brought him in!)
I do have another problem though.... going to make a new post.

Thanks again to everyone!!!

JacksMom

Banned
I agree. If you think that once a week is not really necessary, then I would try one every other week. I have not had issues with the red bumps, but my guy is only 7 mos old. He does sneeze every so often, but I think it's allergies. I notice he sneezes when he gets inside his pop-up cube my great uncle bought him. Think there's something in the material that he's allergic to. I give Jack a vitamin every other day, but during the winter months, I am giving it to him daily, and also give him a few lysine treats just to help boost his system in the cooler months, and I always give him some lysine treats after a bath/ear/feet cleaning session, just as a preventative.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not convinced those are pimples, the bumps in the first picture looked more like hives. At least they look like the hives I get. If you wanted to test between the two you could find a nice big one and apply a little dab of over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream. If you see a marked improvement in that bump within the next few hours it was a hive. Just put it on one bump though, for a test. Rub it in good and don't let him lick it off. You'd need to consult with your vet about your findings, of course.