Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help please?

for_serious

Lairian
Keano has had messy poo's for about a little over a month now. I put him on antibiotics just in case a few weeks ago, and there have been no changes in food. Still the same. I think the culprit may be the dog food when no one is looking, which my mom buys that is not good at all. I've been monitoring him very closely and his poops are still messy on his bottom, but solid. I've been wiping him and his bum has gotten a bit raw. He has a little sore that I'm worried will get infected. It's hard to clean the area without hurting him more :( How can I help him heal and what is the problem with this stool?? Any advice would help me sleep at night!!

ranalashae

Banned
Did you just get him? Nala had pretty loose stools for a while after I brought her home. Once she adjusted it got better and I no longer had to get up in the middle of the night to wipe her off! Sorry that's probably not much help. Hope it gets better, and maybe someone else on here has some good advice for you!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cheap dry dog food isn't a good kitty food even if the kitty disagrees. Neither is cheap kitty food for that matter.

For his sore little bum, try wiping it with hypoallergenic baby wipes and then rubbing a little bit of coconut oil on it to moisturize.

If you search this forum for diarrhea you'll find lots of threads and a ton of info. Good luck!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just dab some coconut oil if they have a sore bum... Then wait to see if they clean themselves, if not I gently wipe, comes off much easier and usually they clean themselves because the coconut oil smells yummy :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had to change my dog from free feeding to scheduled feeding that way there's no chance she'll get into the dog food. If you totally rule out the dog food and kitty is still having a problem, have your vet do a poop work up to make sure all is ok internally.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with using the coconut oil for a short-term solution...if it keeps happening I would go to the vet and have them do a work-up to make sure things are working ok on the inside. Hope he feels better soon!

for_serious

Lairian
I did the fecal test, nothing found. Vet said sometimes they can't see it. When he was on antibiotics he got better. That's what makes me think it's something intestinal. Does it make sense for him to have an allergy to food, or bad reaction and his bowl movements be inconsistent? or wouldn't they always be runny if it was the food??

pooner

Banned
Has the vet suggested probiotics? Pooner has probiotic put on his food daily and it really has helped his poo issues. Although sometimes he sneaks human food from the sink or a plate if we aren't looking at we can always tell cause his poo starts to have issues...little stinker!

for_serious

Lairian
I've switched him to a Wellness Core indoor variety, just in case it is the food. He's on his second round of antibiotics now. His stool is solid, but wet? He also has very bad gas. I hope he doesn't revert back to the runs when the antibiotics are up, like last time. If it was worms, wouldn't the stool sample have caught it? What else could it be?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There are a few parasites that are hard to catch on a fecal exam. There are a lot of threads here under Health and Nutrition that might help.

I'm trying to brainstorm with you, but can you help refresh my memory?
Keano wasn't having any stool issues until a month+ ago, right? What was he eating before it started? What was his general health like?

Sphynx can have sensitive systems that get unbalanced easily. Food changes need to proceed very, very slowly. Just because a food meets with approval on one end, there is no guarantee how it will effect the other.

There are also a number of high quality foods that are high in fruits and veggies, not to mention some protein sources, that are "too rich" for some GI tracts. Some members have had great sucess with pumpkin, yogurt, and probiotics.

I know this is frustrating for the both of you, but try to hang in there. It sounds like his seesaw system is leveling out a bit with solid-ish poops. See how he does when he goes off the antibiotics. Maybe the new food you have switched him is helping and you don't know it. Good luck.

for_serious

Lairian
I'm trying to brainstorm with you, but can you help refresh my memory?
Keano wasn't having any stool issues until a month+ ago, right? What was he eating before it started? What was his general health like?

Sphynx can have sensitive systems that get unbalanced easily. Food changes need to proceed very, very slowly. Just because a food meets with approval on one end, there is no guarantee how it will effect the other.

There are also a number of high quality foods that are high in fruits and veggies, not to mention some protein sources, that are "too rich" for some GI tracts. Some members have had great sucess with pumpkin, yogurt, and probiotics.
He has been having issues since the beginning of December. I haven't changed his food since the beginning of the summer. He was eating Taste of the Wild and he was doing fine. If it was the food, I don't understand why he would react out of no where. I have been gradually changing the food over just in case. Otherwise, he was doing fine, he's still running around and playing and eat a lot. But a LOT of gas.

I did think of something last night though. My mom let in two stray kittens out of the cold a month or so ago, because she wanted to find them homes. As soon as I got home I freaked out and quarantined them, but it might have been too late? What could he have picked up from them? And if something, why didn't the antibiotics work the first time around?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this, it is so frustrating. I've been staying home as much as possible with him to make sure he's doing okay and trying to write my thesis for my honours program all at the same time. I'm so scared for him to go off the antibiotics, because the last time he had so much acid in his stool that it managed to burn his bottom. I had to stay home and make sure I wiped him every time he left the bathroom before starting him with a second round of antibiotics.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
He has been having issues since the beginning of December. I haven't changed his food since the beginning of the summer. He was eating Taste of the Wild and he was doing fine. If it was the food, I don't understand why he would react out of no where. I have been gradually changing the food over just in case. Otherwise, he was doing fine, he's still running around and playing and eat a lot. But a LOT of gas.

I did think of something last night though. My mom let in two stray kittens out of the cold a month or so ago, because she wanted to find them homes. As soon as I got home I freaked out and quarantined them, but it might have been too late? What could he have picked up from them? And if something, why didn't the antibiotics work the first time around?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this, it is so frustrating. I've been staying home as much as possible with him to make sure he's doing okay and trying to write my thesis for my honours program all at the same time. I'm so scared for him to go off the antibiotics, because the last time he had so much acid in his stool that it managed to burn his bottom. I had to stay home and make sure I wiped him every time he left the bathroom before starting him with a second round of antibiotics.

Which flavor Taste of the Wild? Could the manufacturer have quietly changed the formulation? Have you tried a grain free limited ingredient food?