Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! Possible felv symptoms

amhoneyliz

Lairian
Hi everybody. I was wondering if anybpdy could shed some light on some issues my baby is having. She has some back leg twitching where she lifts her leg and shakes while she walks. She also will shake her head after visciously pawing at her eyes or ears. She has wattery eyes and shows her third eyelid often. Shes excessively oily and her teeth are stained brownish black? Her stomach is swollen an has a few lumps on it as well. She is a new adoption i found on craigslist and i made an appoitnment for her tomorrow but im panicking til then. She also has some slight sneezing. Please help!!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@amhoneyliz I am sorry to hear your baby is ill. With so many symptoms it is hard to even suggest what might me the issue. Just be sure if you have other cats keep them separated until the vet clears your newest baby.
Be sure to bring a poop sample to your appt. If you can video tape any of the symptoms like shaking, scratching etc do so and show your vet. Often they do not exhibit all of the issues at the vets. Positive thoughts are sent your way and please update us.

Patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Back leg twitching.. not sure.. did you check her paw and nails for any issues?

Shaking her head and eye/ear scratching.. does she have a lot of wax build up in her ears? Could she have a yeast/bacterial infection?

Watery eyes, sneezing and 3rd eyelid... could be a URI or something like herpes.

Excessively oily ... well some sphynx are more oily than others :) maybe she hasn't had a bath in a while?

Brown teeth are common in a kitten.. from suckling on mom... what age is she?

Not sure about swollen stomach with lumps.. was she spayed recently?

I would definitely get her into the vet soon.. poor mite. I am glad you are taking her in tomorrow.

I wouldn't panic tho, FeLV is quite extreme and her symptoms don't make me think of that.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@amhoneyliz , so glad you adopted /saved the baby off Craigslist and getting her to the vet ASAP-

What is your girls name? Can you post a pic? How old is she? We love pics!

I will share my experience with my Sphynx's rear leg shaking /twitching - please please have have vet rule out HCM/ F.A.T.E
That can lead to "saddle thrombosis embolisms-" that I saw in my baby with rear leg shaking I thought was litter stuck or sore nail etc-

You described things that my ^yoda cat^ had - every case is different and i am not a vet - and I will be honest:

My original ^ Yoda Cat^ in my Avatar had health issues-she was bought buy my fiancée as a bday gift surprise -unknowing from a baaaad breeder that disappeared --

Bottom line : she was a year old when he bought her "such a deal for 800 " she told him and had a third party meet him in a parking lot - red flags everywhere- my fiancée just wanted to make me happy with a Sphynx baby-

I learned she had severe HCM when I went to spay her- she came to me sneezing, runny eyes , third eye lid, pot belly-
She started twitching/ shaking her rear leg as she walked ever so slightly from time to time like she had a piece of scotch tape stuck on her foot . She did this once in awhile- Original vet never mentioned to watch for FATE..

Then months later she did a rear leg shake and she screamed the most guttural yowl and went paralyzed from the waist down-lost her bowels- go stoned cold - rushed to vet- she a saddle thrombosis embolism (Known as F.A.T.E)

She survived and was placed on a strict aspirin therapy regimen treatment plan to clear clots - (aspirin is a huge no no for cats!) but it was a possible treatment for FATE according to my vet if done properly and strictly)

The second embolism episode started with a rear leg shake - as soon as I saw the shake I knew and followed my vets instructions - Wrapped her in a blanket to keep her warm - half hour later she bounced back like nothing happened- no more paralysis and went and ate and played-

She had a few other episodes and I followed my vets instructions- Ultimately she passed just shy of 3 yrs old-

**I share this not to cause alarm but you asked to shed some light /help- I wish someone would have told me what to look for to rule out certain health conditions.. That rear leg shaking can be a sign of - I never knew about HCM and the F.A.T.E connection

***Please please discuss the leg shaking with the vet - it was like she had something stuck on her rear foot she was trying to shake off - it did not go full blown for the first year I had her.

This by no means is meant to diagnosis or alarm but rather as something to be aware of that sphynx can have and to discuss with your vet during her health check-

Video taping is an excellent idea!

I am soo glad this baby girl found her angel in you -

Sending positive thoughts that it is nothing serious and all goes well at the vet!

Sounds like possibly already mentioned URI , dirty ears, maybe needs to be fecal tested for worms- all things many of us have had with our babies and they get treated with meds and have happy healthy lives!

Please keep us posted!

Give her head kisses from me

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As always some brilliant advice there . Hope you soon get to the bottom of it . We filmed my little girl recently when she exhibited strange head movement s. It was helpful as typically, at the vets it didnt happen . Get well soon

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@amhoneyliz , so glad you adopted /saved the baby off Craigslist and getting her to the vet ASAP-

I will share my experience with my Sphynx's rear leg shaking /twitching - please please have have vet rule out HCM/ F.A.T.E
That can lead to "saddle thrombosis embolisms-" that I saw in my baby with rear leg shaking I thought was litter stuck or sore nail etc-

You described things that my ^yoda cat^ had - every case is different and i am not a vet - and I will be honest:

My original ^ Yoda Cat^ in my Avatar had health issues-she was bought buy my fiancée as a bday gift surprise -unknowing from a baaaad breeder that disappeared --

Bottom line : she was a year old when he bought her "such a deal for 800 " she told him and had a third party meet him in a parking lot - red flags everywhere- my fiancée just wanted to make me happy with a Sphynx baby-

I learned she had severe HCM when I went to spay her- she came to me sneezing, runny eyes , third eye lid, pot belly-
She started twitching/ shaking her rear leg as she walked ever so slightly from time to time like she had a piece of scotch tape stuck on her foot . She did this once in awhile- Original vet never mentioned to watch for FATE..

Then months later she did a rear leg shake and she screamed the most guttural yowl and went paralyzed from the waist down-lost her bowels- go stoned cold - rushed to vet- she a saddle thrombosis embolism (Known as F.A.T.E)

She survived and was placed on a strict aspirin therapy regimen treatment plan to clear clots - (aspirin is a huge no no for cats!) but it was a possible treatment for FATE according to my vet if done properly and strictly)

The second embolism episode started with a rear leg shake - as soon as I saw the shake I knew and followed my vets instructions - Wrapped her in a blanket to keep her warm - half hour later she bounced back like nothing happened- no more paralysis and went and ate and played-

She had a few other episodes and I followed my vets instructions- Ultimately she passed just shy of 3 yrs old-

**I share this not to cause alarm but you asked to shed some light /help- I wish someone would have told me what to look for to rule out certain health conditions.. That rear leg shaking can be a sign of - I never knew about HCM and the F.A.T.E connection

***Please please discuss the leg shaking with the vet - it was like she had something stuck on her rear foot she was trying to shake off - it did not go full blown for the first year I had her.

This by no means is meant to diagnosis or alarm but rather as something to be aware of that sphynx can have and to discuss with your vet during her health check-

Sending positive thoughts that it is nothing serious and all goes well at the vet!

Sounds like possibly already mentioned URI , dirty ears, maybe needs to be fecal tested for worms- all things many of us have had with our babies and they get treated with meds and have happy healthy lives!

Please keep us posted!

You are amazing :)

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Please keep us posted!

You are amazing :)

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i was asking the whole time what URI is i guess its the Cat flue/ sneeze which get vaccinated with RCP vaccine.

The symptoms of your cat sounds like that. My little bo got it a few weeks ago too. the shacking legs can be frome ears but could be an infetion with calici virus ( which isn´t rare at that cat flue). By very weak cats it can made the limpung cat syndrome ore worst.

Go to vet let make a smear for nose, eyes and mouth, check the ears becaus its often a combination of viruses and bactarials. lets check the blood too if maybe there is an enzophalitis.

amhoneyliz

Lairian
I just got back from taking her to the vet. Unfortunately after an ultrasound they discovered the wall as of her heart have thickened an she does have heart disease. She will be going in next week for blood tests as well. She also has a bacterial infection which lead to the excessive oil and eye infection. She's also considered obese due to getting easily winded while being active. This poor baby has been through hell and back and I just can not fathom that someone would rather make a quick buck than be concerned about an animals well being.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It was not the news you wanted, but oh how lucky your baby is to be loved by some one who is going to give them the best care possible. Hopefully your vet can get her feeling better fast and they can start meds to help slow down the progression of heart disease. Please continue to update us.

Patti

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im really sorry to hear that the news was not great. Hang on in there , although whatever happened in her past may be haunting her shes now with the right person and getting the love and care she deserves.You can only try your best x

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i´m sorry to here about your little sweetheart. but try to find out how bad the heart is. my caprica got HCM ( heartmuscle get thicker ,too) but a mild one. she get atenolol and she feeling fine. she also get Catflue with age of 5-6 month .... there is always light on the horizon. But try to know everything you can to give her the best treatment and chance of a good normal life.... its possible with all that problems. Don´t try to think the worst if there is hope, both are handlebar.

Back