Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP! question about Sphynx in MD!!!

Marinka

Lairian
Hi everyone! So here I am with money for my maybe future FIRST Sphynx cat, the cat I already met ones and the breeder that willing to hold her for me but all that with a big BUT because me and my husband moving to a new place in a few weeks, we have a Chihuahua puppy 1 year old and Im getting my first job in few weeks too. To say we are confused is to say nothing. I need your suggestions and advices guys. I dont know what to do. Ian said I make a decision and he finally agreed to get a cat, but he is telling me all these facts that really do make sense. First of our dog is freaking out when he is alone, because we lived in husband's parents house there are always someone to either baby sit him or when he is by himself and we tell everyone DO NOT LET HIM OUT, he needs to learn to be by himself no one listens, every one feel sorry for him, now we have a dog that basically can not be alone, second if we'll get a cat and I will go work (not sure if it'll be part time yet) cat and a dog will be on their own. Knowing from experience Jack and other cats in this house, they dont hang out with each other, cats are ignoring Jack, so Jack is upset and keep freaking out. As for kitty, she will have to stay with Jack, for some time at home, with new people, new dog..Also I keep thinking what if they wont like each other, what if she will get hurt, her skin is open, ect. I already cried today, I want her SO bad!!! I called the breeder, she said cat is great with dogs (I remember when i came take pics heard few dogs barking).
ONE THING that I didnt like is that in her ad on hoobly she wrote that cat is fixed already, but i was talking to her and told me she will give me a phone number where I could spayed her with discount etc. I was like .."hmm...thats weird" and then she tells me that for her it will cost $200 to fix her.:Woo: Anws. The fact is cat is stunning, I loved her, I will have money by the end of next week and I will have a deposit this Sunday, I really COULD get her, but all this stuff and all at ones makes my head explode! What should we do? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks for your time. I probably make you guys sick with all my threads and all this stuff :Sweat:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You never make us sick Marinka. We can't really make the decisions for you but just from experience, cats and dogs do and can co exist. It will take time for them to get along well together but it will be worth it in the end.
Sounds like your dog may have a touch of seperation anxiety (doesnt like to be alone) and I honestly think a companion is the right idea.
We got Snuffie a little Sphynx and I've noticed a small difference in how she acts when we get home. She doesnt meow at the door anymore when we leave and she isn't attacking us when we come home anymore.

Bella07

Banned
I wish I could give you some wonderful advice, but I have no idea how to help you! Just remember to follow your heart, and go with your gut. This Sphynx will be apart of your life for several years to come. Once you bring her home, you are making a commitment to keep her, and love her forever. If you feel that you are up to that challenge, then by all means welcome her to your home! Good Luck :ThumbsUp:

Marinka

Lairian
You never make us sick Marinka. We can't really make the decisions for you but just from experience, cats and dogs do and can co exist. It will take time for them to get along well together but it will be worth it in the end.
Sounds like your dog may have a touch of seperation anxiety (doesnt like to be alone) and I honestly think a companion is the right idea.
We got Snuffie a little Sphynx and I've noticed a small difference in how she acts when we get home. She doesnt meow at the door anymore when we leave and she isn't attacking us when we come home anymore.

He def needs a friend now, since we are moving and he will have to stay home alone more often. I really will be worried about her. She will be in a new home, with new dog, new people us...I just never had experience with adoption a cat (adult) so Im afraid she will hate us or will get upset or smt like that. BUt I know my hear is telling me to get her because I know I will be so happy and I will be loving her more than anything, I know she will be happy with us.

Marinka

Lairian
I wish I could give you some wonderful advice, but I have no idea how to help you! Just remember to follow your heart, and go with your gut. This Sphynx will be apart of your life for several years to come. Once you bring her home, you are making a commitment to keep her, and love her forever. If you feel that you are up to that challenge, then by all means welcome her to your home! Good Luck :ThumbsUp:

Thank you Bella07! I know I have love and Im def up to challenge especially the one Ive been dreaming of for so long :)

fezmarie73

Lairian
Marinka,

My boyfriend has a chihuahua that he found as a stray. the little guy is a senior, and we recently found him hiding under the platform at the rail station during a very heavy rainstorm. We named him DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit), since that was where he was found. He has a vet appointment next Tuesday. We think he may have a broken and badly healed leg, or possibly some hip dysplasia. He is very sensitive in his hind quarters.

When my kitty, Ducky, first met the dog, he arched his back as high as he could! He never hissed, though. Once he got over his initial apprehension, he followed DART everywhere around my loft! He was just curious, and never tried to play with the old guy, just followed and sniffed. DART is very conscious about his hind quarters. He bared teeth a little, but for the most part, the two got along fine. I would imagine that if you get a kitten to go with your young dog, they will bond quickly once they get to know each other. The "getting to know" part is what takes time, and you should make sure that you stay with them during this phase until you know how they'll react.

It may take time, but dogs and cats can be great friends. And it really sounds like Jack needs a companion to keep him company and play with him. Know this, above all else: you have time. You don't ever want to make a snap decision. You will find a good kitten whether it is now or whether it's 4 years from now. But make certain you are making the best decision for the entire family: you, your husband, Jack, and your new kitten. Let your heart and your mind decide what is best for all of you.

Marinka

Lairian
Marinka,

My boyfriend has a chihuahua that he found as a stray. the little guy is a senior, and we recently found him hiding under the platform at the rail station during a very heavy rainstorm. We named him DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit), since that was where he was found. He has a vet appointment next Tuesday. We think he may have a broken and badly healed leg, or possibly some hip dysplasia. He is very sensitive in his hind quarters.

When my kitty, Ducky, first met the dog, he arched his back as high as he could! He never hissed, though. Once he got over his initial apprehension, he followed DART everywhere around my loft! He was just curious, and never tried to play with the old guy, just followed and sniffed. DART is very conscious about his hind quarters. He bared teeth a little, but for the most part, the two got along fine. I would imagine that if you get a kitten to go with your young dog, they will bond quickly once they get to know each other. The "getting to know" part is what takes time, and you should make sure that you stay with them during this phase until you know how they'll react.

It may take time, but dogs and cats can be great friends. And it really sounds like Jack needs a companion to keep him company and play with him. Know this, above all else: you have time. You don't ever want to make a snap decision. You will find a good kitten whether it is now or whether it's 4 years from now. But make certain you are making the best decision for the entire family: you, your husband, Jack, and your new kitten. Let your heart and your mind decide what is best for all of you.

Aww You have such a touchy story, I hope he will be ok and hope there is nothing very serious with his leg. Fingers crossed for your DART!

And thank you so much for your advice! It makes me think and I def have time and have to make the right decision for everyone.