Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

!HELP!Seriously considering buying a 2nd sphynx kitten need others wisdom (please!)..

mia2764

Lairian
Hello my fellow hairless lovers!

I am so in love with Iggy my 1 1/2 year old male sphynx I do not have words to express it! He is the joy of my life and my sons best friend!The icing on the cake? He is %100 toilet trained! Woo Hoo!!!
That said, my son and I are DYING to get another male kitten (all grey this time)..Here are my most pressing questions about the differences/changes/challenges to expect if I choose to take the plunge.

1. Iggy is so incredibly attached to us..
i.e,always by our side,follows us everywhere,is on top of us to cuddle and love the moment we sit/lay down,ect. I fear that this will lessen if he has a feline companion to snuggle and communicate with! What has been you guys's experience in behavior changes when new sphynx was added??
*Note: I am worried because when I take him with me to my moms home on some weekends (she has 3 dogs that he gets along very well with) he tends to run off,hide and prefers to be alone:-( ...Is this a sign he will do the same when given a brother?

2.Iggy is %100 toilet trained..
As Ya'll can imagine I am terrified of "undoing" this magical trait while training my new kitten especially considering I have ONE bathroom and Iggy,although completely accident free,would still ALWAYS choose to go #2 on a rug or towel if I put one in the bathroom on the floor...
Will he adjust or revert to wanting littter?Potentially refusing to re-toilet train now that he's not a kitten and more "set in his ways"??

3.Does the bond change??
He is so needy and completely "stalker" in love with me and my son.Will this bond be less intense when he has "One of his own to cherish? I love our bond and the amazing tricks he does to 'please' me I am probably most terrified to lose this one (ok...who am I kidding?! it's the "my cat doesnt use the toilet anymore that takes 1st place! LOL)

I know you guys all totally get my love and adoration of my sphynx and am counting on all the good bad and ugly experiences/stories/advice from you guys to make this important decision!

Love you all and am so gratefull for this forum....even tho my family makes fun of me for being a "official" cat lady for being on this forum;-)

XOXOXOXO

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Re: !HELP!Seriously considering buying a 2nd sphynx kitten need others wisdom (please

I am so in love with Iggy my 1 1/2 year old male sphynx I do not have words to express it! He is the joy of my life and my sons best friend!The icing on the cake? He is %100 toilet trained! Woo Hoo!!!
That said, my son and I are DYING to get another male kitten (all grey this time)..Here are my most pressing questions about the differences/changes/challenges to expect if I choose to take the plunge.

i.e,always by our side,follows us everywhere,is on top of us to cuddle and love the moment we sit/lay down,ect. I fear that this will lessen if he has a feline companion to snuggle and communicate with! What has been you guys's experience in behavior changes when new sphynx was added??
*Note: I am worried because when I take him with me to my moms home on some weekends (she has 3 dogs that he gets along very well with) he tends to run off,hide and prefers to be alone:-( ...Is this a sign he will do the same when given a brother?

As Ya'll can imagine I am terrified of "undoing" this magical trait while training my new kitten especially considering I have ONE bathroom and Iggy,although completely accident free,would still ALWAYS choose to go #2 on a rug or towel if I put one in the bathroom on the floor...
Will he adjust or revert to wanting littter?Potentially refusing to re-toilet train now that he's not a kitten and more "set in his ways"??

3.Does the bond change??
He is so needy and completely "stalker" in love with me and my son.Will this bond be less intense when he has "One of his own to cherish? I love our bond and the amazing tricks he does to 'please' me I am probably most terrified to lose this one (ok...who am I kidding?! it's the "my cat doesnt use the toilet anymore that takes 1st place! LOL)

I know you guys all totally get my love and adoration of my sphynx and am counting on all the good bad and ugly experiences/stories/advice from you guys to make this important decision!

Love you all and am so gratefull for this forum....even tho my family makes fun of me for being a "official" cat lady for being on this forum;-)

XOXOXOXO

Hi,
Good luck on your decision! It can always be tough at first when bringing home a new kitty or any other pet for that matter. In the beginning it can be stressful on everyone in the home, new kitty, current resident kitty - other pets and the humans of the house hold. See this thread on intros and territory http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/introducing-new-adult-sphynx-cat-sphynx-kitten-into-home-11304/

Usually the love remains the same after the new guy acclimates into the home. As far as litter and toilet trained kitties - just keep in mind, most households require 2 boxes - one per cat. (I guess you were referring to potty train meaning the toilet?) -If so, It's not unheard of for two cats or more to use the toilet. But will most likely take training and patience. You may also want to watch this great video below about the "Politics of litter."

Last edited:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Re: !HELP!Seriously considering buying a 2nd sphynx kitten need others wisdom (please

I'm not going to lie, there was a slight change in Lucifer's behaviour after Samael came home. The first weeks he wasn't cuddly at all because he was so focused on the intruder. After a while he became more himself but still not completely the same. Samael, on the other hand, is very cuddly & velcro!
What you get in return is a playbuddy for Iggy when you're not around and when two sphynx kitties cuddle, it melts your heart. It's also incredibly fun to watch them wrestle and chase each other.

I don't have any experience to share with toilet training (I assume you mean human toilet); we have just added a second box and never (fingers crossed) had any issues!

Good luck on your decision.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I am kinda the more the merrier type so more than one is always going to be at my house. I like two to four cats. Mine really didn't change how they acted toward me when we has added a cat.
I know nothing about toilet training so I can't help you there. I will always use litter.

mia2764

Lairian

THANK YOU!
I am so very tempted to add another joyful baldy to my life,yet the risk scare the crap out of me! And yes I do mean humsn toilet.Iggy uses the toilet and we have never had litter box in home except during the LK training..With on bathroom you can see why I'm concerned! I think if I had a 2nd bathroom my decision would most def be easier.but to rock the boat and potentially lose this luxury really does scare me..Yet I want a grey friens so bad! Ugh!
Please please please keep the comments coming I want to gather and learm as much as I possibly can from you guys and your experiences good and bad.
Don't know what I would do if I didn't have this forum people who don't own a sphynx just don't get it;-)

P.S. I have never owned a cat prior to Iggy,and I had no clue not all cats will use one 'bathroom' that throws a whole new wrench into the mix!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

We are getting a second one may 25. My husband is terrified about it and he had a nightmare that Molly killed the new kitty. I think the introduction for us is going to be the most important part - Molly was spoiled rotten and I stayed home with her for the first 6 months of us having her. Not going to be the same this time. I didn't really worry about any consequences in our decision to get another one. I just wanyed her to have someone to play with when we are not home.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

We're getting our second wrinkly companion on May 2nd. We already have a furry cat, so we know Elvy gets along with other cats.
They use litter pans so I'm afraid I'm no help there.
Good Luck!!!

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I'm sure he'll be fine. They usually do change in the beginning but they get over it eventually. Everyone needs some time to get use to change. As Inflamed said, at least Iggy will have someone to play with when he needs and that will definitely melt your heart. Good luck with your decision!

mia2764

Lairian

yeah I realize it's a bi selfish to almost care more about him needing and wanting us to play/cuddle with opposed to knowing that he will have a companion when alone.but his antics and behaviors to be near us brings sooo much laughter and joy into our day to day lives that I worry.I am the typr that once I get an idea in my head I will do it at all costs.So honestly I'm surprised that I am having a hard time with this choice and am literally going nuts with this.UGH!!!:Sweat:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

3.Does the bond change??

XOXOXOXO

Hi. A year ago in April, I got my first sphynx boy. I've had hairy cats my whole life and I've had dogs and a number of other pets. When I was deciding on Liam (my first sphynx), I already had two dogs and I was wondering if I should get just Liam or Liam and a brother for him at the same time. I tore myself apart, back and forth every day for months trying to make a decision. I've had from two to four cats (hairy ones) in my house at one time, so it wasn't an issue of not knowing how multiple cats would get along.
Ok, so I decided on JUST Liam. I love him to death, but one day SHORTLY after I got him, I felt really bad that he didn't have a brother there for him. Sure, I have the two dogs, but there is a big difference between having one sphynx with two dogs and having two sphynx cats with the dogs! I'll explain:
I landed up getting Liam his brother Grayson (because he IS my gray son, LOL) in September. Same mother and father, just a different litter. I brought Grayson into the room where Liam was for the first time when I brought Grayson home and I opened up the carrier and Grayson came out and Liam LITERALLY ran in place just like a cartoon character! Liam ran for cover under my bed! LOL Within a few minutes, Liam stretched himself and made himself two feet longer than he normally is, LOL and he sniffed Grayson. Within a few hours or less, they were not only ok together, but Liam became the big brother, "the proctector" and even allowed Grayson to lay with him and suck away and knead on him. I KNEW that I had made the right decision then. :)
They play together and make me laugh all the time. They jump up and fly through the air together and most of all love cuddling and keeping each other warm and toasty. (Look at my photo album).
To make a long story short (LOL), our third sphynx boy was born in December (all in 2012). The new baby's name is Simon and he IS also from the same mother and father so they are all true brothers, but from three different litters. They ALL love each other, cuddle, suck, knead and play together. All of them still love me and nothing has changed that I can pinpoint as far as how they or just Liam acts towards me. He still sleeps under the blanket on me or next to me.
I wouldn't change a thing and all I can say is that I am VERY glad that I made those decisions to get Liam a brother and then get Simon as well. I sit and smile and laugh at the three of them all day long as I watch their interaction with each other. Which, again, does not compare to their interactions with my loving, cuddly dogs.
I was interested in "toilet training" one day down the line...once my three boys were big enough not to worry about them falling into the toilet by accident. That's another story and my mind-set isn't ready to try...let alone give it too much serious thought right now.
I have tried a number of different litters out there, from clumping clay litters to Feline Pine Non-Clumping (and even purchased Feline Pine's special litter pan...actually two of them). I do not like clay litters anymore, not that I ever loved them, but will never use clay litter again.
I really liked the Feline Pine non-clumping which was recommeded by my son. But after having a multiple cat household, it became a job and a half for me cleaning out two of these special litter boxes completely every few days...UGH!
Then I even tried Feline Pine Clumping litter and hated it as it really doesn't clump....what a pain in the neck.
Then I tried World's Best clumping litter as my daughter recommended it after she tried it for her cats and really loved it. Well, I'm totally sold now and have to agree that IT IS THE WORLD'S BEST litter. :)
I had hesitated about having multiple sphynx cats as they require bathing, etc. Has NEVER been an issue for me as I make "spa day" here and I take care of them like having an assembly line of sphynx kitties. LOL I've learned quicker ways to clean their ears and nails and it works out just fine here for me.
I know that you love your sphynx sooooo much as do I with my three babies. I actually say that I love them to death. :) I personally wouldn't worry about your sphynx leaving you for a sphynx buddy. I am sure you will land up still having individual play time and cuddle time, etc. But you will also get great joy out of watching the two of them interact. I really don't think that you have to worry about your sphynx eating up his gray brother if you decide to get him a brother. It may take time for everyone to adjust, but that is understandable.
I get the sense that there is a great litter box/toilet bowl issue over your head. I can understand not wanting your sphynx to go backwards after you have achieved the toilet training thing going on. So that is your call, of course.
I just want to add that I was getting tired of cleaning out two litter boxes upstairs and one downstairs for them, so I got rid of the two smaller ones upstairs and found at PetSmart a HUGE litter box that had a compartment to hold the scooper and supplies. So I find it to be convenient now just dealing with one main litter box and the funny thing is that when more than one of them have to use the litter box at the same time, they no longer line up and wait their turn! LOL It's big enough for more than one of them to "go" at the same exact time. :)
Good luck with your decision and please keep up posted. :) :) :)

mia2764

Lairian

GoldHazel,
You are an amazing person for taking time out of your day to melt my heart and make me smile with your story! The minute I read your post I started google searching breeders lol.And yes..you are right when it comes down to it it really does boil down to the sheer terror of having to switch to litter now that I have exerience the "good life" and had to only flush a few times a day.(not to say I am not worried about behavior/connection changes as well,but if it wasn't for the toilet your words would have me driving across two states to get a baby boy brother for myself! oie..
So here I am still teetering back and forth loving every new post I read to help me.I know you guys get it and others just dont!
BTW here's a video link to Iggy using my toilet incase you guys wanna check out what I may lose;-)
You can also just go to you tube and put " Iggy the sphynx uses the toilet" into the search bar he is nude and wearing a blue T-shirt.

XOXO

M

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

GoldHazel,
You are an amazing person for taking time out of your day to melt my heart and make me smile with your story! The minute I read your post I started google searching breeders lol.And yes..you are right when it comes down to it it really does boil down to the sheer terror of having to switch to litter now that I have exerience the "good life" and had to only flush a few times a day.(not to say I am not worried about behavior/connection changes as well,but if it wasn't for the toilet your words would have me driving across two states to get a baby boy brother for myself! oie..
So here I am still teetering back and forth loving every new post I read to help me.I know you guys get it and others just dont!
BTW here's a video link to Iggy using my toilet incase you guys wanna check out what I may lose;-)
You can also just go to you tube and put " Iggy the sphynx uses the toilet" into the search bar he is nude and wearing a blue T-shirt.

XOXO

Aww, what nice words about me. :) I'm blushing.
I enjoyed your video of Iggy going potty. One day I need to take a pic of Liam using the litter box and post it somewhere! He's got the STRANGEST litter box...pooping ritual: He STANDS UP!...and uses just one front paw to help balance himself. LOL The other front paw is bent against his body!
I'm sure that you will be pleasantly surprised and happy if you decide to get Iggy a buddy. Did you contact Iggy's breeder?

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

That was sooooooo cute!! Iggy looks just like my Graddy and I've been wanting to toilet train mine for a while. (Now i cab see it happening) When he does a poo does he ever try to play with 'it' if you don't flush it in time?

mia2764

Lairian

Graddy,
not at all! it is the BEST thing I have ever challenged myself with (LK training) I promise the moment I have a lazy day I will write a detailed post/thread on how I toilet trained him..god knows it is harder then advertised and I learned what is now obvious to me the hard way...It has EVERYTHING to do with you being patient and understanding your cats mind and process and throwing your human logic on the matter out the window! I now believe had I caught on faster he would have been trained even simpler and faster then my process took start to finish,and mine only took a few short months to train completely! I would love to pass on my knowledge and hope many of you can enjoy what I at times thought I would never achieve;-)

P.S
keep the comments and opinions on second cat coming~! Still hoping someone out there got a second one...and toilet trained with ONE bathroom and a already T-trained cat lol (wishful thinking I know!)

XO

rlewis899

Lairian

I bought the LK system and went to their website for tips so I am anxiously awaiting your thoughts and experience on potty training. I know they have a forum for questions so you might want to check there too but I doubt they have many Sphynx. The instructions say you have to go as slow as the slowest kitty so I am thinking you would have to start the LK process all over again. Probably wouldn't bother Liam at all.

I saw where someone have adapted the LK system to a tote because they only had one bathroom. I've wondered if that would be easier for the humans or not.

I have two girls and they were sisters from the same littler, they cuddle together and are such a joy to watch. Most times you will find them cuddled on me. One kitty is great, but two are better. :BigSmile:

gojennings

Lairian

I'm bringing home a 2nd kitten this weekend and I'm a little worried about how the 7-month old sphynx will react. I figure she's still young enough to adapt. Our 14-yo hair cat still hasn't accepted Dobby, and I figure she never will. Too set in her ways... but it's easy to keep them separated, so no worries there.

mia2764

Lairian

If you already got/started LK system follow the directions to the T Make SURE you use a flushable litter that you know you can stick with thru the entire procces from day 1.put the litter/step 1 LK as clost to your toilet as humanly possible(right next to Toilet is ideal) lift it LITERALLY no more then 2 inches a day with a very stable object under the LK..You don't want to have it wobble and set your kitty into any extra stress by having them not trust the LK is safe and secure for them to use.The LK forum helped me tremendously! but don't be scared when you read all the horror stories either just do no more then that for now and I will post a complete how to guide as soon as I have a day off.I really think I figured out a good way and have even helped 2 friend train their adult cats.Definitely not as simple as reading the LK directions but no where near as hard as the LK forum posts make it seem.Good luck!

BTW..Make sure you order the additional "multi cat kit" if you only bought the original LK kit I promise you will need it no matter if you are training one or 5.you can't get this done w/o it!

SarahLovee82

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I started the litter kwitter with my kitten when I first got her home but I am afraid of the whole "getting litter in the toilet thing" with having 2 of them now because they kick it around, I have old plumbing etc. Sad. I really wanted them to do it! LOL

mia2764

Lairian

Sarah!! Don;'t give up !! I have 1 bathroom and did it ans so can you!!
There is litter specifically made for the toilet (flushable) they can kick/paw in as much litter as their lil hearts desire it's meant to go in there! It is messy and long but seems like a very small price to pay when you are never thinking about cleaning a litter box again.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
53263A0F-597C-42C8-B11D-DCA30743BF42.png
250AEE9E-DF86-44E2-BD9E-5D0236977065.png
I have a beautiful 2 year old gray Sphinx w light blue eyes. I’m thinking of rehoming him as I moved into a tiny tiny place. He loves other cats and dogs. He is very affectionate almost to the point of being annoying.. Let me know if u want to chat.

Back