Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

chadeash

Lairian
Hi,

I have a 5 month old boy. We have recently relocated interstate and my boy has come down with something. He has been in contact with my sisters devonrex cat, who is fully vaccinated and also indoor cat only. When we first moved here (2 weeks ago), he was energetic and played a lot with my sisters cat. The past couple of days he has had very little energy, sleeping most of the day and all night. He seems very lethargic and is not eating as much as he normally would. I am so worried.
I noticed this morning that he has some sores around his mouth too, I thought it was dried food but when I wiped it off it started bleeding. I (stupidly) used human facial wipes to wipe his ears and mouth the other day so I thought that maybe it could be a reaction from this, but still does not explain his extreme lethargy.
I thought it could be cat flu, but he is not sneezing at all. He does seem to have a little more eye goo than usual.

If anyone has any advice on how to care for a sick sphynx or has experienced something similar I would love some information. I can't take him to a vet for a few days until I get paid.

Thanks

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@chadeash force feed him and get plenty of water into him. Does he feel like he's got a fever? Is he using the litter box (and if yes, is his poos softer or loose)? If there is no change really soon, you will have to take him to the vet.

Let us know how he's doing.

chadeash

Lairian
@GoldHazel he used the litter yesterday and his poo seemed normal, not loose or soft. I'm not sure how to tell if he has a fever as his skin temperature has always seemed very warm to touch. I would take him to the vet now if I had the money :(

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@chadeash getting fluids into him is very important.

Well, I have a way that tells me if my sphynx cats are warmer than usual: I'm always kissing them and they also rub their mouths/lips against mine. I can tell from their mouths/lips if they feel warmer than usual. Just can't judge right after they've eaten or drank water though.

Vets can take credit cards and bill you or make a payment arrangement.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@chadeash , Positve vibes sent - what is your boys name? Is it Fluffy?i I would call your vet and ask for suggestions - ask if they will work with you in payments for his initial office visit ?
Perhaps your sister or family can assist in his vet visit?

Is he eating and drinking normally tonite ?
Could he have gotten into something ? Eaten plants?

You can do a simple skin turgor test at home to check for hydration

Amd ask the vet office if you can give him a little unflavored only clear pedialyte

What color is his eye goop? green or yellow goop can be signs of infection
My kitties get normal brown colored goop from time to time

How far was the move? My kitties after a 3 day move slept once we got to our new place.
One hid in the sink base cabinet amd didn't eat for two days.

We aren't vets and cannot diagnosis but share suggestions and experiences
To confer with a vet
I would keep him in your own room and give the vet a call.

Hopefully nothing serious

(((Hugs))) keep us updated often

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
You've got great advice. I would see, if a Vet, would, let you,
make payments or pay when, you, get paid.
Please keep us updated.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending lots of healing vibes to your boy. Make sure he keeps drinking a lot.
How old is your boy?
You said you recently moved. Is it possible he doesn't feel at home yet? Or maybe other things in the new house do bother him and make him a little depressed?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can you take a pic of the mouth sores? Look up Rodent Ulcers online to see if they look similar to what he has (don't panic, it has nothing to do with rodents)

chadeash

Lairian
Thanks everyone for all the advice and kind words.
I got him into a vet yesterday. She found ulcers inside and around his mouth and said that he is most likely feeling sick because of them. He was given an antibiotic injection, pain meds, and some oral medicine for the ulcers. The vet said that it is likely that he has eaten some sort of chemical, I think it may be from the bathroom shower as I always see him go into the shower and lick the water off the floor, and sometimes he even jumps into the toilet (so weird, does anybody else's cat do this?).
Has anybody else had experience with ulcers? if so how long did it take to clear up?

Hoping that the ulcers start to clear up soon, he seems more comfortable now, still quiet, but is eating and drinking more.
By the way his name is Rambo and he is almost 5 months old. :)

chadeash

Lairian
@MollysMom
here are some pics of the ulcers. The vet found some inside his mouth and on the roof of his mouth. poor boy, I hope they clear up soon

upload_2016-9-25_12-5-24.png

upload_2016-9-25_12-5-49.png

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@chadeash poor Rambo. :(

Being that he licks the shower, do you put down chemicals while he has access to getting in there and licking it? When I clean with bleach and when I do the floors, my cats are locked in my room. Everything is their business and they have to be involved in everything. To keep them safe from harmful chemicals, they can't come out of my room until the floors are completely dry.

After @MollysMom mentioned googling rodent ulcers, I saw photos that look like this could have been Rambo's condition. I'd mention it to your vet. Maybe he's seen it before or maybe he has no clue. Hopefully he's on the mend now and will begin to feel so much better. Keep us updated please.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
These guys heal pretty quickly, so having him on antibiotics I would think you should see results in just a couple of days. Happy healing vibes are sent.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@chadeash Healing vibes sent poor baby .. Glad you got him into the vet for medications
Please give extra head smooches and keep us updated often

My kitties walk into wet shower
I can't use spray cleaners so make my own Non toxic -
Lots of people use white vinegar
I make sure to extra rinse after cleaning shower and toilets
Be sure to keep toilet kids down - amd don't use those blue drop in type or wire rimmed bloc bowl cleaners - I use my homemade recipe for toilet Bowls too now after my cat fell in the toilet and got sick years ago .

Last edited:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone for all the advice and kind words.
I got him into a vet yesterday. She found ulcers inside and around his mouth and said that he is most likely feeling sick because of them. He was given an antibiotic injection, pain meds, and some oral medicine for the ulcers. The vet said that it is likely that he has eaten some sort of chemical, I think it may be from the bathroom shower as I always see him go into the shower and lick the water off the floor, and sometimes he even jumps into the toilet (so weird, does anybody else's cat do this?).
Has anybody else had experience with ulcers? if so how long did it take to clear up?

Hoping that the ulcers start to clear up soon, he seems more comfortable now, still quiet, but is eating and drinking more.
By the way his name is Rambo and he is almost 5 months old. :)
Is the oral medicine a steroid? Prednisolone is a common one that is used. Just checking as steroids are needed to clear the ulcers up :) Hope he gets on the mend soon!

BTW the location of those is classic rodent ulcers... I don't think it would be from a chemical. It is likely either an allergen or something immuno related.

Back