Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

jasmyn

Lairian
The one on his neck showed up about 3 days ago, i have been putting Neosporin on it and i have no idea what it is! It is slightly raised. He also has what appears to be a rash on his nose as well. Anybody have any options/ideas/advice?? My vet is out of town for awhile and there are no others in the area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 317

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not expert but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first photo is ringworm. I hope that's not the case though.

I would definitely take him in when your vet is back.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I too think it looks like ringworm. Sorry cant recall how many days have you had your baby? We went through a bout of ringworm years ago when we rescued a girl name leeloo.

If you have other animals be sure to try to quarantine until you get to a vet so less of a chance in transferring to others.

Patti

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would err on the side of caution and take him to the vet, but my other thought was that sometimes little round sores like this can happen if food gets stuck on a sphynx's face or neck while eating. If food isn't cleaned off these types of sore can develop fairly quickly. I had this issue a few times when I was still feeding wet food before we switched to raw.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
The one on his neck showed up about 3 days ago, i have been putting Neosporin on it and i have no idea what it is! It is slightly raised. He also has what appears to be a rash on his nose as well. Anybody have any options/ideas/advice?? My vet is out of town for awhile and there are no others in the area
It does appear to possibly be ringworm, if so, it can also infect humans. I would treat it right away if so, there are many threads here on the Lair with photos and options, do a quick search. here is just one I found - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/help.14728/#post-183039

Yoda mom

Staff member
I agree it looks like ring worm possibly? I would go to a secondary vet to get it looks at asap..
As I child I caught ring worm from our family dog - the vet treated me and the dog :)

Sending healing prayers - please keep us updated

jasmyn

Lairian
How many spots are there?
There are just the two spots. The one on his nose is kind of scabby. If it is indeed ringworm, is there any at home remedies that wont hurt my baby of ingested? Again, this has been there for approximately four days and none of us or my other pets have ringworm breakouts.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I PM'd you. It takes 10-14 days for it to show up on others in the home. I got it and so did our other 2 cats. Hubby was the only one who did not get it...arghhh. It ia annoying but controllable.

Patti

jasmyn

Lairian
I PM'd you. It takes 10-14 days for it to show up on others in the home. I got it and so did our other 2 cats. Hubby was the only one who did not get it...arghhh. It ia annoying but controllable.

Patti

Patti

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 232

jasmyn

Lairian
Does that look like ringworm ?
I PM'd you. It takes 10-14 days for it to show up on others in the home. I got it and so did our other 2 cats. Hubby was the only one who did not get it...arghhh. It is annoying but controllable.

Patti

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty certain it is ringworm by these pics :( at least you know what you are dealing with. The cream you got is a great start.

jasmyn

Lairian
Pretty certain it is ringworm by these pics :( at least you know what you are dealing with. The cream you got is a great start.

Welp. It's officially ringworm. The vet prescribed an ointment called 'gentizol' which i was looking and is normally used for aggressive yeast infections in dog ears. I'm worried that it'll harm my guy for some reason. It's supposed to be stronger then what i was originally using which was the lamisil. I also got the malaseb shampoo to use on him twice a week(?)-I'm diligently cleaning and keeping him confined to the bathroom so I'm just hoping this will resolve without recurring! My god im feeling defeated today. :(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hang in there. I know first hand how mentally exhausting this fungus is. Just keep on doing what you have been...you will get it under control. It feels like with all the efforts of bathing, cleaning surfaces, sheets etc and applying cream that it should go away right away....but it is a stubborn thing. You will beat it. You've got us to help get you over the bad days. I swear by the cream.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
(Healing hugs for a speedy recovery)))

Did your guest get treated? I had it when I was a kid and the vet treated me and our dog :)

Hang in there- things will be fine - you are taking good care of your baby

jasmyn

Lairian
(Healing hugs for a speedy recovery)))

Did your guest get treated? I had it when I was a kid and the vet treated me and our dog :)

Hang in there- things will be fine - you are taking good care of your baby
He went to the doctor the very next day and got some ointment! I feel so bad! Even though he didn't care

jasmyn

Lairian
@jasmyn , just checking in on the healing update -- looking to hear good news!
So far so good, no one else has gotten it *knock on wood* and even though winston still has the two spots they are not as angry! He has been quarantined in my bathroom for the last 7 days and the vet told me for another 7 should be where he isn't contagious :( i miss my little guy and i feel horrible for having to keep him in there! I'm wondering if he will now have permanent scars and when i will know if the dang fungus is actually all gone.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If it is looking contained, that is awesome. Another 7 days is nothing in the scheme of things. It took 6 months for us to rid the fungus in our home. It was horrible. We had to eventually even get our Bengal Loki shaved. Just spend as much time as possible in his room and wash your hands really well. Pretend your waiting for gotcha day!

Patti

Back