Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP~ Sphynx has bumps on her skin

MaisyMom

Lairian
My girl has bumps on her skin, some on her head, neck and torso. They are not red or crusty and she doesnt seem to be itchy. I cannot figure out what has caused these. It seems like they just came on overnight. Any ideas???
Note` I havent changed any food, or litter. and she has always ate from plastic bowls with no issues. She is 8 months old

Attachments

• sphynx bump1.jpg
    sphynx bump1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 209
  • sphynx bump2.jpg
    sphynx bump2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 201
  • sphynx bump3.jpg
    sphynx bump3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 198
  • sphynx bump4.jpg
    sphynx bump4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 198
  • sphynx bump5.jpg
    sphynx bump5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

MaisyMom

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow I added pics to the original post. They are hard to get pics of because they blend in with her skin. You mainly feel them when you pet her. The ones in the armpits are the biggest ones.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Did you by chance change laundry detergent or use dryer sheets? It looks like an allergic reaction. If not topical, did you change food?

Patti

MaisyMom

Lairian
No change in laundry detergent or anything really. The food is the same as always. The only thing I can think of thats different is a new blanket that i brought in from kohls that hadnt been washed yet and they took it over. She could have gotten a piece of dog food an ate it. We just got a puppy over christmas.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Could easily be the blanket. Speak to vet about Benadryl ...no one here is able to suggest a Med. But I do say pull the blanket and give it a couple of days to see if non contact helps. Avoid bathing or irritating skin further for a bit.

Patti

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would bet on the blanket. They put awful stuff on fabrics.
Those are some hives. If you wash the blanket and they clear up that is what it was. Just remember it takes time for hives to go down.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MaisyMom, I too bet it's the blanket...especially because you mentioned it happened overnight. But I also wanted to ask you if your little girl was sweaty when she woke up? One of my boys sometimes gets those bumps after waking up very sweaty. If that's the case, they will go away by itself.

My vet had preferred Zyrtec over Benadryl once when my little sphynx girl had a sudden rash. BUT do check with your own vet for his ok and the proper dosage...especially that she is not an adult yet too. It's up to your vet, not us here on the Lair to tell you what medicines to give, especially orally.

Please let us know what resolved the problem and what you figured out as to the cause. I'm sure she will be fine in no time.

MaisyMom

Lairian
Definately will pull and wash the blanket. Will just wash them all to be safe. @GoldHazel, she does get very sweaty. She likes to get really warm. Hopefully its one of the two and they will go away. If still there by Monday i plan on taking her to the vet just to be safe.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MaisyMom, my Grayson that has had bumps that look like that only had them after waking up in the a.m. and being very sweaty. It took a few days to go away by itself, but before they totally went away, I noticed each time that the bumps went away and he was left with a pin dot of a scab (had to really look for it because it was literally a pin dot).

Let us know if you notice that too within a few days.

If you ever thought that your sphynx needed an antihistamine, you probably can just call your vet like I do for the dosage, etc. instead of going for a visit. I do that not only because I can describe to my vet over the telephone what is going on and what things look like and other symptoms, but because they truly don't have a clue as to what these skin problems are with our sphynx! We have to educate them as things come along, especially with their skin. Think about it, how many vets have seen total skin on an animal for all their years of schooling and practice?

Well, I just wish you and your baby the best and I really think all will be fine by itself within a few days.

renewedmind

Banned
Most newer blankets and clothes unfortunately come coated with formaldehyde and many other disgusting things that's all in an attempt to make it look shiny and new and not get all winkley on its way to the store or while it sits there before u purchase it that's why it is always recommended to wash anything you ever buy material wise before use socks, sheets, pants, even underwear because the junk they put on them can cause skin reactions and are harmful so more than likely that's it hun... And don't just wash it once if it were me wash it on HOT so it will loosen all the crud up and wash it away plus it will kill any dust mites on it to that might be causing an allergy then dry on the hottest setting too

MaisyMom

Lairian
I have washed everything but the bumps keep coming and going. They did get the pinpoint scabs on the ones that were starting to go away, but then new ones keep coming on. I just cant figure it out. She doesnt seem bothered by them at all. They just bother me knowing they are there. I will see the vet next week.

Back