Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! Sphynx has permanent diarrhea

FionaWade

Lairian
Hello - I have two sphynx cats. One is 3 and he is overweight and one is 4 and is so skinny and has permanent diarrhea. They have seen the vet multiple times - they have always been this way. They eat Royal Canin fit 32. They are getting worse now - the fat one is gettinng fatter and the skinny one is looking like a skeleton. His poo is just slush- its awful and I actually throw up when I have to change the litter. I have to use an entire fresh bag of litter every time he poos because its so runny :( I can't bear it anymore. Help!!!!!! What can I try? They have been dewormed regularly.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@FionaWade Did your vet check for Giardia? It can some times show up as negative in tests. It can cause diarrhea, and strong odor etc. you might need to get a second opinion. Something is definitely not right if your baby continues to lose weight.

Patti

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear of the problems with your 2 sphynx.

Can your sphynx eat dry food all day? And how much do they eat? Don't know if you're home much and can control how much the "fat" sphynx eat?

Did the vet did a poop test and blood test for the "skinny" one? They're a few bacterias that can cause stinking diarrhea.

Did you try another food (for example Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal or Hypoallergenic)? If you didn't maybe it's a good idea to contact your vet and ask if changing food is a good idea. Stinking diarrhea can be caused by food allergy also.

One of my boys did have stinking diarrhea for 4 months. Nothing helped and he had no energy and hardly did grow. Since I changed to raw food it's better although some days he still has diarrhea.

Hope you'll be able to pinpoint what is causing the diarrhea!

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of my babies, did the same thing. The Giarda test came back negative, but the vet treated her for it anyway. Happy to say she's normal now. Her poops would clear the house out!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you looked into the possibility of irritable bowel disease? It sounds like when I got my first sphynx. . She would have horrid stinky poo and kept getting a big belly on her.
But I would rule out giarda first.
If you are not getting anywhere at your vets office get a second opinion. This is not normal but there can be help.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello - I have two sphynx cats. One is 3 and he is overweight and one is 4 and is so skinny and has permanent diarrhea. They have seen the vet multiple times - they have always been this way. They eat Royal Canin fit 32. They are getting worse now - the fat one is gettinng fatter and the skinny one is looking like a skeleton. His poo is just slush- its awful and I actually throw up when I have to change the litter. I have to use an entire fresh bag of litter every time he poos because its so runny :( I can't bear it anymore. Help!!!!!! What can I try? They have been dewormed regularly.
I agree, diarrhea shouldn't be the norm, If Giardia, I would imagine the other would have it too, its highly contagious to other cats in the house hold, but you mentioned nothing about the other having the runs.

Have you verified the skinny one is actually eating when you feed them, I imagine its at the same time? Have you tried a different food as someone had mentioned above? Even if its just the one cat (would be best, but a pain to try and feed separately, I know.) If a food change doesn't help, I would surely get a second opinion.

Also, a bit of canned pumpkin (not the filler type) aded to the new food will help with tummy issues. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@FionaWade , We are here for you and your babies ..((hugs))

I would suggest a second opinion from a vet-
I have done so by taking kitty to a new vet and getting their diagnosis
Sometimes a new set of eyes n ears to check out kitties help

Have you tried giving the kitty slop recipe here on the lair for the thin kitty or perhaps a nutrition supplement paste like nutri cal?

100% pure canned pumpkin helps with poo issues- I warm a little bit in microwave for on kitty, the other will eat at room temperature when first out of can- a teaspoon size.. I store a little in fridge and freeze the rest- taking out and warming before giving

Perhaps the royal canin food doesn't work for them-
Has the vet prescribed any metrodiazolone? Or Cerenia?
Ruled out IBD? Irritable bowel disease?
I feed Dr Tims Chase cat food I get on line- and only give pumpkin as a treat now
Stools have firmed-

*Sometimes switching foods to a single source protein or limited source protein helps too
(My Bengal throws up all food and is on a Halo turkey based protein sensitive stomach formula)

I would strongly suggest a different food and a visit to another vet just to get a fresh perspective

Keep positive- I had Omar Bengal cat I'll down to 6 lbs- idiopathic unknown-
They gave antibiotics and prednisone I got formulated in a chicken flavored liquid -
He gained all his weight back and lived a long life-

healing vibes sent your way

Lilo

Lairian
My cat has the same issue, did you find a cure?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lilo , welcome to the lair family. we are here for you. please start a new thread with an intro to your baby, questions. we are here for you. this is an older thread and member may not still be active. have you dropped off a poo sample to the vet to check for any bacteria like giardia, tritrichomonas, etc.

we dont want to miss any of your questions . hugs n head smooches.
you can go to top right of link pages and click on "post thread" so members can chime in

here is the link to introduce your baby

Presh

Lairian
Have u tried PRO-KOLIN I HAVE 6 month baby sphynx same prob an he’s on natural foods

Back