Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP!! They will NOT use the box..

J

Jinxlover

Okay with the eating comes the pooping..LOL
They are not using the box, they are going potty everywhere. They have had a litter box in with them form the time they were 4 weeks old they are now six weeks. I have put them in there and they dig around and then get out and potty on the floor. I have put the poo in the box that seems to do no good. Is there some trick to this?

Does Blueberry need a box in the room with them so she can teach them to use it? B/C she has NO box in there. The only box is the kittens box and Blueberry does not use it.

How long does it take for them to learn to use the litter box? Maybe I'm wanting to much at there age?

Thanks..

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im no help, But I hope they learn to do it soon! Maybe put some of mommies poo in there and see if that will work.

susi794

Staff member
You need to put Blueberry's litterbox in there so they can watch her and learn what to do. Then right after they eat put them one at a time in the box--scratch around and if there is poo on the floor pick it up and put it in the box. When Blueberry uses the box don't scoop it for awhile, so they can get in there and smell what the box is for. You're still keeping them in the bathroom? They need to watch how Blueberry does things in order to learn what they are supposed to do. She will help socialize/civilize them if you let her.

J

Jinxlover

You need to put Blueberry's litterbox in there so they can watch her and learn what to do. Then right after they eat put them one at a time in the box--scratch around and if there is poo on the floor pick it up and put it in the box. When Blueberry uses the box don't scoop it for awhile, so they can get in there and smell what the box is for. You're still keeping them in the bathroom? They need to watch how Blueberry does things in order to learn what they are supposed to do. She will help socialize/civilize them if you let her.

Okay I'll put a box for Blueberry in there..
I do still have them in the bath room, tho not for long b/c they climb the baby gate I have in the doorway.
I do let then out in the main part of the house many times a day, and the bathroom door is always open and right off the living room.
They cant just run the house all the time. They would be dead in 5 seconds:Dizzy:. I have a 21mo old baby and a 180lb dog.. Not safe for 1 lb kittens. So I put the baby to bed and the dog outside and let them out to play.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Susi is right on target. That is exactly how I have always trained my DSH kittens when they were "potty training". Good advice Susi!

susi794

Staff member
I adore Great Danes--had three of them through the years. Such gentle giants....and love bugs. Agreed that your kits are safer in the bathroom then. My danes would never have hurt anything on purpose, but accidents happen with exuberant giant dogs and tiny little kittens.

J

Jinxlover

Oh my Dane loves the babies. Thats the issue..lol. I don't know if anything as small as my berries want to be loved by a Great Dane...:LOL::LOL:

gizmo6370

Banned
Put in a litterbox for mom also....and put some of moms used litter in the smal box....if you see some of the little ones pee....pick them up....and transfer them to the box.....eventualy they will get the idea.... :Wink:
You can also put some more litterboxes in....i usually use about 3......2 for the little ones...and 1 for the mom :Smile:

J

Jinxlover

Somebody's got it down b/c there is little tiny pees and poos in the box.I'm not sure who it is yet..
Some are still going in the floor, who ever it is will only go in moms box:LOL:.

(I'm such a loser, I think there little tiny pees are cute:Wink:)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
When we have babies I do not let them out of their room until they go potty in the litter box. I have them use moms box I don't give them their own because they learn from mom and the smell of her in the box. When I find poop and pee around the room I sit with them after eating and put them in the box over and over until they go in the box I do one at a time until they get it, that can be a long day I think the longest was almost 5 hours:Sweat:The good thing is that once they get it they are good and will always use the box.
Good luck to you with this but I say be tough or you are going to have kittys that go potty all over.

J

Jinxlover

I think they got it!!!!!!:ThumbsUp:
One of them is still going on the floor, I'm not sure who.
I know it's not Neffie or Peeve I saw them going in the box.

J

Jinxlover

Thay all have it now.. No potty in the floor at all.I have 3 boxes(2 baby boxes and Boos big one) in there and they will only use one of them though, they just will not use the baby boxes only Bluebreeies. With Blueberry and all five babies using one box that sucker if FULL in the morning..LOL.

OH and my Razzle Gummi Berry was eating dry food this morning..WOOHOO.

Back