Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HELP: What are these brown spots?! (Pics)

gildedlily

Lairian
We bathe Prunella (Pru) once a month. We use Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo and baby wash cloths. I have been noticing that Pru has been getting these brown spots all over her body. Mainly on the top of her body. Before we bathe her we cover her entire body in a thin layer of coconut oil. But it just doesn't seem like it's doing anything to get rid of these stubborn dirt/oil spots. So my question is: are these spots just dirt and oil buildup or are they a change in pigmentation due to the fact that Pru loves to lay in the sun? Furthermore, if the issue is indeed dirt/oil, does anyone know of products or other ways to deep clean a sphynx cat?

She does not seem bothered by these at all, but I'm just a concerned mom- if they are something more dangerous I will definitely take Pru to the vet. I just like to avoid the vet if possible to avoid unnecessary contact with other sick pets.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• ab94958c-a18f-4354-ac41-f12bb9a7bedb.jpg
    ab94958c-a18f-4354-ac41-f12bb9a7bedb.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 2017-11-12.jpg
    2017-11-12.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 142

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Looks like pigmentation to me. Do you have shade cloth or UV film over the windows she loves to sun bathe in? That can help with the direct sun exposure or limit her sun time if you are worried.
Are the spot raised or anything? If not then I wouldn't worry if they are then maybe get them checked out :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We bathe Prunella (Pru) once a month. We use Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo and baby wash cloths. I have been noticing that Pru has been getting these brown spots all over her body. Mainly on the top of her body. Before we bathe her we cover her entire body in a thin layer of coconut oil. But it just doesn't seem like it's doing anything to get rid of these stubborn dirt/oil spots. So my question is: are these spots just dirt and oil buildup or are they a change in pigmentation due to the fact that Pru loves to lay in the sun? Furthermore, if the issue is indeed dirt/oil, does anyone know of products or other ways to deep clean a sphynx cat?

She does not seem bothered by these at all, but I'm just a concerned mom- if they are something more dangerous I will definitely take Pru to the vet. I just like to avoid the vet if possible to avoid unnecessary contact with other sick pets.

Thank you!!
I agree with @Anansi - its appears to be pigmentation which is quite common. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@gildedlily , great advice given
My dark sphynx also gets pigmentation
Many dark colored sphynx do

As for shampoo many of us really like Hylyt shampoo- it's soap free hypoallergenic easy rinse-
I switched over to it from baby shampoo

many recommend d'grease shampoo for good cleaning
A little goes a long way and needs to be rinsed very well

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 98

Yoda mom

Staff member
@gildedlily , wanted to share a pigmentation pic of my adoptee - it was taken on gotcha day
This was from too much sunbathing

I placed a cat tree in indirect light , amd limited sun exposure
Remember do not use any sunscreen products (can be toxic )

This severe example of pigmemtation was vet checked - and cleared up on its own in a few months

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 104
Back