Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! What are these bumps and spots?

InariSan

Lairian
My 8 year old sphynx has started to show small (pinhead) sized black spots under her skin. It started as one on her back, and now they are starting to pop up in more places. I moved to a small town where the vet doesn't know much if any about the breed. They currently cut a piece off but then said it wasn't a good sample to biopsy and want to take another. They are definitely not pimples. Now as she is still recovering I noticed tonight clusters of these black balls under her skin both in the same spot on the back of her paws. Any one know what might be the cause?
I'm majorly stressing out. My sphynx is my baby, and everything to me. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20151215_202043.jpg
    IMG_20151215_202043.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 217

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@InariSan Can you share a pic from farther away so we see where these spots are on your baby? What parts of the body are they on? Is this on the front legs? If so this is very normal and all cats have it.

InariSan

Lairian
The spots are on her back, side/upper hip, one in her inner ear, a couple on each front leg.
Those clusters are both right above her heel pad on each front leg. I thought I've seen them before, but they are black and look like the one now in her ear, so I don't think they were always there.
Sorry pics are hard with this one!

Attachments

• IMG_20151215_203658.jpg
    IMG_20151215_203658.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20151215_203634.jpg
    IMG_20151215_203634.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20151215_202043.jpg
    IMG_20151215_202043.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 233

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Well the bumps on back of front legs are normal ...whew. The black dots I cannot completely say. Our senior just developed a dot on the back of his neck and last week we had a regular checkup and I asked our vet about it and he said not to worry possibly a vessel popped. I will try to get a pick for you tomorrow when it is daylight. But last pic you posted of bumps is fine.

InariSan

Lairian
Thanks. I'm just concerned because I couldn't remember the clumps being black balls or just skin color. The spots are hard to photograph. My vet said hyper pigmentation, but all my research says no. White blood cells were a little off but he said nothing of concern- tried an antibiotic and pain med but she was getting sick so he said to stop them. Thanks for your help, I'll watch for that picture.

AlexaEels

Lairian
Could they maybe be sun spots from laying in a window or in sun somewhere? Our friends sphynx gets dark spot and a kind of tan when she lays in the Windows. They had to put special tint stuff on their bedroom window.

InariSan

Lairian
@hairlessblessing thank you!

Alexa, I don't think they are from the sun. Before I moved she never really had the spots and used to lay in a bay window all the time. Now she mostly in under a blanket.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@InariSan , good vibes sent for your girl - what is her name? Welcome to the lair family
Please keep us updated -
My boys are getting darker pigment spots as they get older - I have not biopsied
But am always checking them over
Patti has some good advice and pics

Sending healing vibes and hoping its normal aging pigmentation -
Looking forward to good news vet follow up news

AlexaEels

Lairian
Hm
@hairlessblessing thank you!

Alexa, I don't think they are from the sun. Before I moved she never really had the spots and used to lay in a bay window all the time. Now she mostly in under a blanket.
Hmmmm. Well I hope it is nothing to worry about. Let us know what you find out and sending healthy energy to you both :)

InariSan

Lairian
Yes!!! @Catzzzmeow that's what mine has! They don't photograph well! What do you know about the marks/bumps?
My sphynx is Inari - that's where I get my username. :) she's a dilute calico.
She's a pioneer therapy cat who served over 3 years at a hospital with me. She is and always will be my baby. Yes, I'm crazy about sphynx! :)
Thanks for all the welcoming!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We just had Babas in for a wellness check up last week.He is 12 years old and this spot showed up out of the blue a couple of months ago. The spot looks bluish black (again hard to photograph) so my first thought was it was a bruise. I kept an eye on it...it did not get bigger and never got raised so gut said not to worry. The vet said most likely a simple blood vessel popped. They never see these kind of things on hairy cats. His blood work came back clean and no elevated white blood cell levels. You mention bumps...are your spots raised? His spot is not.

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome.

Aging spots, perhaps? They don't seem bad at all. I suspect pigmentation (natural) or just age. Hugs.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello and welcome! My boy Ross has the same spots, orbat least it looks the same. The vet told me it are natural pigmentation spots, nothing to worry about.

InariSan

Lairian
Thank you everyone for such kind words. After a stressful week, I don't think I'm going to let the vet take another chunk out of her. You have all been wonderful and it sounds kind of common. As long as she's acting her usual sassy self, I'm going to leave it be. Stitches on sphynx are horribly traumatizing to their mothers (me). Lol
@Catzzzmeow Just the one in her ear is a perfectly round bump, but maybe because ear tissue isn't the same as her other skin. The rest are not bumpy, other than her paw ones. But you guys said those are supposed to be there. :)

Back