Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help - what should I do if my Sphynx eats a couple of chocolates?

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
2,793
Points
318
My fault for leaving a goody bag on the kitchen counter. I looks like one of my girls ate a couple of chocolates. My immediate reaction was to feed some regular food to absorb whatever is in chocolate that they're not supposed to have. She seems normal right now. Should I be running to the emergency vet?
 

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2014
Messages
9,842
Points
613
I'm not sure if Sphynx metabolize chocolate the way furred cats do, but my Norwegian Forest cat used to steal chocolate obsessively and he never suffered for it. Having said that, I'm hoping someone else chimes in. I'd only suggest keeping an eye on your naked.

This may be helpful: http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats

I think the amount your kitty ingested should be negligible unless it's a huge amount.

Hugs.
 

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
2,793
Points
318
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that your NF cat wasn't any worse for it. So far she seems normal.
 

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Sep 23, 2012
Messages
1,918
Points
323
Keep a close eye on her. Unless she is showing signs of distress, I wouldn't take her in to the vets. Maybe wake up during the night tonight to check on her.
 

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Sep 23, 2012
Messages
1,918
Points
323
Although this is what they recommend:


TREATMENT

If you suspect or have evidence that your cat has ingested chocolate, you should immediately take your cat to be examined by your veterinarian. Keeping your cat cool, calm, and in a quiet place will help to keep the symptoms from escalating too quickly. It is common to induce vomiting quickly after ingestion to prevent the chemicals in the chocolate from being digested, and to control any seizures, should they occur.

Fluids will be given to keep your cat hydrated as its condition improves. To avoid any further problems, it should be fed a bland diet for several days after the incident, so that the digestive system is not compromised by dietary stress.
 

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2014
Messages
9,842
Points
613
I should add, for perspective, my NF cat was about 13 lbs (mostly muscle... this was one massive cat), and in one sitting ate all the chocolate off an entire roll of Rollos (those chocolate covered caramels) -- he left the caramel behind. In another sitting he consumed half a mint aero bar. The latter right after having his annual teeth cleaning (sigh). He'd dragged my aero bar into the bathroom, and hid behind the toilet, unwrapping and eating. I found him after half a bar was consumed.

But definitely keep an eye for any signs of distress. Hugs and well wishes again.
 

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
2,793
Points
318
Thanks, I read on one of the vet web sites that the more they eat and the darker the chocolate the worse it is. Mine only ate 2 hershey's milk chocolate kisses.

I don't normally bring that stuff home but a friend gave me a little goody bag for Christmas and I left it on the kitchen counter. Lesson learned, in the future zero chocoloate will cross the front door.
 

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
2,793
Points
318
She's running around like usual :)
I was up just about the whole night checking on her to make sure she wasn't going to be sick. I don't think she learned anything from the experience but I sure did!
 

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
6,025
Points
643
I think although chocolates not good for them not quiet as toxic as it is for dogs. Glad she doing ok
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
23,102
Points
643
(I would just keep an eye on him for any of these symptoms for 24 hours.)

Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to cats: caffeine and theobromine. When ingested, these two ingredients can lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your cat.

Symptoms and Types

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased body temperature
  • Increased reflex responses
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Low blood pressure
  • Seizures
  • Advanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)
The amount and type of chocolate ingested is also important, as they are determining factors for the severity of the toxicity. The three types of chocolate that you must be aware of are:
  1. Milk Chocolate
  2. Semi-Sweet Chocolate
  3. Baking Chocolate
Causes

Chocolate can become toxic for any cat. So be wary of feeding your cat anything that might contain chocolate and always keep it out of reach.

Diagnosis

Your veterinarian will perform a complete physical exam, including a chemical blood profile, an electrolyte panel, and a urinalysis. These tests will help determine if there is a chocolate/caffeine overdose.

Blood can also be taken to test for theobromine concentrations, while an ECG is performed to help determine if the heart is showing any abnormalities in rhythm or conduction of heart beats.

This is from PetMD
 

RescuedSunshine

Lairian
Joined
Jun 8, 2014
Messages
68
Points
44
I know for dogs my vet suggested having them eat extremely burnt toast, think like charcoal stomach pump stuff. My min-pin ate a bar of bakers chocolate and we started there with burnt toast because it was over a holiday and he went in the following Monday.

Not sure if a cat would eat burn toast! Luna might attempt to eat it if she had too, maybe a little butter to help.
 

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
2,793
Points
318
I know for dogs my vet suggested having them eat extremely burnt toast, think like charcoal stomach pump stuff. My min-pin ate a bar of bakers chocolate and we started there with burnt toast because it was over a holiday and he went in the following Monday.

Not sure if a cat would eat burn toast! Luna might attempt to eat it if she had too, maybe a little butter to help.
Wow that's good to know although I don't plan on reliving this experience. My cats eat anything. They are vacuum cleaners.

Thanks all for your advice.
 
Top