Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help with Blueberries poop..

J

Jinxlover

OMG guys I cant get the diarrhea to stop, she had been at the vet and he said it would take care of it's self. It just will not stop, it's been like 4 weeks now. She's not sick just really bad diarrhea. It's a mess she tries to hit the box but it's up the walls, side of the box, all over her,all over the BABIES!!! Could It be her food? Maybe they changed it of something.
I was thinking of changing her food but that might make it worse. She eats EVO it's one of the best foods out there.

Can anyone suggest a nice bland food she might do better on? I will try anything. I'm about to start dumping Pepto down her:Dizzy:.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She is still relatively a new girl, right? Didn't you adopt her pregnant?

I personally feel if a cat has been checked for the normal causes of diarrhea and nothing has popped up (coccidia, worms, etc) that I would put her on a dosage of metronidazole along with probiotics like the ones found in yogurt (but you can get it in a powder form at Walmart- uuuuh... Lactobactillus is the probiotic I think you need).

But that's just me... I think pumpkin is great when needed- which is usually when a cat has a dietary upset. If you think that's the case- then the pumpkin would probably help. BUT if you aren't sure- I'd talk to your vet about metronidazole- you don't want her to have the runs when she goes in for her surgery, ya know?

Good luck! Diarrhea is just the worse- because it can be so hard to pinpoint WHAT is causing it!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is it from weaning? Ain't motherhood grand! lol I hope it clears up soon, between that and her heat you may need therapy!

Inferno12

Banned
Johnny had the same thing. It was on my walls and all over him all the time. I took him to the vet and we tried all kinds of anti diarrhea meds and none of them worked. I tried all kinds of food and finally the one I found was Royal Canin special 33. Its for cats with sensitive stomachs. It didnt clear it up all the way but it stopped the "flinging" of the poo. I then tried to add pumpkin and activia yogurt and the combination has seemed to work wonders for my boy.

I hope that you find something that helps blueberry. Good luck!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I remember the runny stools. Butterball was master of the runny stools. Anyhoo, Butterball's problem did take care of itself. It did take a while though. If memory serves it took about 2 months. Just find a good food and stick with it. Only give kitty that food.

Those runny stool days were awful. I had to listen for Butterball's litter box so I could wipe him after defecating. He'd get a runny mess all over the sides of the box. He would step in it. He would put his tail in it. The worst part is, he'd jump up on the bed and start giving me headbutts. It would take a few seconds before the odor hit me. Then I would see it on his tail or paws. Needless to say, I went through quite a few bed sheets and comforters.

For a more immediate solution you can do the pumpkin thing. I heard that works great. Never tried it myself.

susi794

Staff member
Pumpkin IS fiber, but fiber doesn't make you poop--it makes you regular. The pumpkin sucks up the excess water in her intestinal tract firming the poop up. If humans have diarreah, the doctors often put them on metamucil--a fiber. Not to make them poop, but to regulate it. So, pumpkin will definitely help firm up the works, if you can find it. Good luck with that. I would do as Birthdaysuit said--get metronidazole and/or lactobacillus/acidophyllis (spelling?) I'm not sure changing food is such a great idea at the moment--check with vet.

ssummers

Lairian
When Coraline had persistent diarrhea after being on antibiotics, my vet put her on a small dose of Centrine for a week. It slows slow muscle tissue (like the colon), so it relieves diarrhea. Medicine always seems like a last resort to me, but in our case, it worked well. Maybe something to ask about!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The thing with diarrhea is you don't JUST want to treat the runs- you want to treat whatever is causing it. I totally agree, meds aren't usually a first choice, but in situations where the poop is this bad- I would get her on whatever will slow down her stools as well as help heal her colon/intestinal tract. Metronidazole will also treat her if she has giardia- which is an insidious little parasite that is very hard to diagnose with a fecal float and exists in a lot of catteries. Problem is- cats don't always exhibit any symptoms until they are stressed. While I think Blueberry is probably as pampered as they come- she has had a lot of newness in her life- new home, new babies, new life, SO it is possible she has giardia.

Just a thought :) I am very vigilant about giardia since I've dealt with dogs with it and it was NOT a pretty situation. Cats may be bad, but leaking dogs is HORRIBLE!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Casper was eating evo too. She also had the runs. So I experimented and stopped it for 3 days to see if it was the evo and sure enough it was... Maybe try that and see if its the evo? Just a thought!:Wink:

J

Jinxlover

Thanks guys I may just have to take her back to the vet..I think what started it was about 2 weeks after she had the babies I thought I should put her on kitten food so I changed her. She was rock hard before I did that. Well after the change she never firmed back up. When I took her back to the vet he told me to put her back on the first food (EVO) and it would get better.. She had been back on the EVO for about 3 weeks and still nothing.

He never tested her stool for anything, he just said it was to food change, to change back and all would be well b/c she was firm before the change..

I did get the pumpkin maybe I will try that, how much and how often?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am a big fan of pumpkin and use it for our older dog every day, but in this case I am siding with birthdaysuit and going with giardia I was not on last night but hubby asked me and that is what I told him to tell you (I guess he never did):Angry: I would make an appt. with the vet and bring a stool sample with you and tell them you want it checked.
Also has she been dewormed since having the berries? If not it is important to do this as this could be your problem. Worms can lay dormant in the system and during the birthing thing they can pop up again, my vet has me do all my cats after we have a litter just to be safe.
Poor Blueberry tell her we wish her to feel better.

Evo is just too rich, don't ask me why. Not a whole lot of ingredients in it. Nature's Variety all the way.

Also get a fecal float and direct done on her, make sure she doesn't have any excess bacteria going on.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh goodness. I hope things have calmed down!! Snuffie had the runs yesterday,,very similar but today she is solid again. I'm wondering if she ate something I don't know about....I hope Blueberry gets well soon! xoxo

J

Jinxlover

Okay took her to the vet.. He still says it's the food change.. He put her on Clavamox and Centrine.... He tested her poo and said it was fine. He also told me not change her food right now it could just make it worse..<<SIGH>> So I guess I'm still up to my armpits in poop for a while..

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I saw the post about pumpkin. Pumpkin has HELPED my kitty and make his poo more solid. When he was a kitten he was diagnosed with infamitory bowel disease. we tried ALLLL sorts of food (including green pea a duck, etc) NOTHING worked!!! his key was pumpkin.

Back