Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help with info on ketamine!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Thunderheader , all paws crossed amd pawsitive vibes for the boys :)
You can ask too if you can bring blankets for their recovery cages or do try have a warming type blanket for boys

SphynxMom1993

Lairian
I can tell you that a well known risk with Ketamine for Anesthesia in the sphynx breed is if an underlying heart condition such as HCM there can be a risk of death. I did find this snippet for a cat dental recommendation, again, it seems certain issues can occur if there are underlying heart problems, " For healthy cats our first choice is hydromorphone 0.2 mg/kg or butorphanol 0.2 mg/kg combined with medetomidine 0.010 to 0.015 mg/kg., plus atropine. As cats become more debilitated or aged we use butorphanol 0.2 mg/kg or hydromorphone 0.2 mg/kg with 0.2 to 0.4 mg/kg midazolam. For fractious cats presenting without feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), ketamine 1 to 5 mg/kg is administered as needed; for those with HCM, low-volume medetomidine (0.005 mg/kg) is administered instead." Be sure to discuss with your vet. :)
What would you suggest on using for a 16 year old for a dental? Do they usually survive it. She doesn't have HCM. Thanks for any help! Kim

Yoda mom

Staff member
Hello Kim Love your Rabbi Santa pic

I would discuss anesthesia with your vet -

My vet uses Isloflurane , especially elder pets.
my vet also suggests pre surgery bloodwork

I ask the. To put "no ketamine " in writing on my pets vet charts .

Yoda mom

Staff member
A very good question ...
Perhaps a good discussion with your vet too

Hopeful others will chime in

I know There are vaccines that some breeders will void contact if given

Loveme

Lairian
@Thunderheader , all paws crossed amd pawsitive vibes for the boys :)
You can ask too if you can bring blankets for their recovery cages or do try have a warming type blanket for boys
I may be too late to reply this but I got referral from another thread and seems really good quality I plan to order it when I finally settle in California from Hungary. Heres the link for the blankets K&H Manufacturing - Maker of K&H Pet Products
so far i am still rookie and awkward using this link. I wish I know how to use it in iphone compared this on laptop ! Ha!

NekidKats

Lairian
My personal opinion but I say that if you are researching and you NOW KNOW that Ketamine is bad to use and your Vet won't listen.. get a new vet that will. Ketamine is dangerous and I have personally seen reactions so it's not an option for use on our babies ever again.