Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help with info on ketamine!!

linepp

Banned
I just love justin timberlake! When I saw him do SNL I thought he was a fabulous actor!

?But a **** is a type of bird!! Does it bleep out ass (donkey) and bitch (female dog) ...I really hate censorship!! Seriously!!! It annoys me more than any "dirty" word!!!!
Censorship is a dirty word!! LOL

Little Justin has certainly grown into a fineman, loaded with talent. Who would have thunk it back in the boy band days? Not me... that's for sure.

I hate censorship too. Jeez, we can't even write ****! How about ****scomb? hahahahahahaha

abbietron

Lairian
I was also worried about the use of ketamine on Elvis when he was going to be neutered. I brought this up with the vet at his pre-op and she researched it by calling up the head cardiologist at the small animal hospital here in Glasgow. His information was: ketamine should be safe to use on a Sphynx of they have been HCM scanned and are found to be clear. If there's an underlying heart condition this is when the ketamine can result in death. I went ahead with the use of ketamine without a heart scan and Elvis woke up from his operation. He will be getting HCM scanned at 1 year. Hope this helped :)

sciumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
From my own personal ketamine horror story, which I've shared before, I wouldn't give *any* animal this drug unless there was a very convincing medical reason.

For a minor surgery I was given ketamine (I have NO clue why--my research says that doctors try to stay away from it as much as possible because of the potential side effects of hallucinations), and I had horrific hallucinations. Those were likely the most h*llish moments of my existence. And I'm not exaggerating--it was horrible. When I woke up, it felt like part of my brain would be forever trapped in that terrifying world.

The doctor was annoyed by how long it took me to recover to leave the hospital, too. It just took forever to clear my head.

abbietron

Lairian
From my own personal ketamine horror story, which I've shared before, I wouldn't give *any* animal this drug unless there was a very convincing medical reason.

For a minor surgery I was given ketamine (I have NO clue why--my research says that doctors try to stay away from it as much as possible because of the potential side effects of hallucinations), and I had horrific hallucinations. Those were likely the most h*llish moments of my existence. And I'm not exaggerating--it was horrible. When I woke up, it felt like part of my brain would be forever trapped in that terrifying world.

The doctor was annoyed by how long it took me to recover to leave the hospital, too. It just took forever to clear my head.

That sounds horrible! I trust my vet and I understand why many people wouldn't want to give their animals ketamine but if you have purchased a healthy animal with no heart complaints then it seems safe-ish. All surgery carries risks and you just have to weigh up the pros and cons :(

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was told it was safer than other kinds of drugs they would use. It's definitely a personal choice. But hey, let's hope our kits will meet need any serious surgeries.
Each to their own I guess I know of too many people who lost a sphynx to ketamine and every place of information says to stay clear if it with sphynxies so again no matter how I trust my vet she won't come near my boy with ketamine but each to their own katamine lowers their body temps way to low among other things

abbietron

Lairian
Each to their own I guess I know of too many people who lost a sphynx to ketamine and every place of information says to stay clear if it with sphynxies so again no matter how I trust my vet she won't come near my boy with ketamine but each to their own katamine lowers their body temps way to low among other things

Definitely. It's food for thought, especially when Danzig goes for his neuter.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Definitely. It's food for thought, especially when Danzig goes for his neuter.

You can ask all the people on the lair if they would use katamine the response should tell you :) there is also a few that are vet techs that will share their wisedom I don't think you'll find one that will recommend katamine

abbietron

Lairian
You can ask all the people on the lair if they would use katamine the response should tell you :) there is also a few that are vet techs that will share their wisedom I don't think you'll find one that will recommend katamine

I read a lot of the threads regarding ketamine and it scared the living hell out of me. However we went forward using it. I don't regret my choice of drug as my cat is still with us, but if it went wrong I would never forgive myself.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
There are other options for Ketamine. If your vet does not give you this option, there are other vets. We personally would NOT use it due to the many health issues we have had heard here on the Lair over the years. Yes it is true that if your HCM scan is clear and there are no underlying heart conditions it should be safe to use. Our vet has complied and used an alternative when we need to sedate either one of our Sphynx. As pet owners, sphynx specific, we just wouldn't chance it.

abbietron

Lairian
There are other options for Ketamine. If your vet does not give you this option, there are other vets. We personally would NOT use it due to the many health issues we have had heard here on the Lair over the years. Yes it is true that if your HCM scan is clear and there are no underlying heart conditions it should be safe to use. Our vet has complied and used an alternative when we need to sedate either one of our Sphynx. As pet owners, sphynx specific, we just wouldn't chance it.

The fact I have allowed them to use ketamine makes me feel like the worst Sphynx owner ever.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
The fact I have allowed them to use ketamine makes me feel like the worst Sphynx owner ever.
No not really, you just were not educated on it properly. That's what is great about communities like this one that have years of "good" information so you can make sound decisions in the future for the health of your sphynx. Be grateful it all went well and your kitty is fine. :D

abbietron

Lairian
No not really, you just were not educated on it properly. That's what is great about communities like this one that have years of "good" information so you can make sound decisions in the future for the health of your sphynx. Be grateful it all went well and your kitty is fine. :D

Yep :)!

2Knights

Lairian
My vets are told no Ketamine and why, that was all the proof they needed.
I have had Ketamine and it is the drug from HELL!!
I have never had such an awful time. I didn't know what was real or not, had awful nightmares and hallucinations and a near death experience. Horrible, horrible stuff.
My vets are told NO KETAMINE no matter what or they answer to me - luckily they know me well and trust I have researched well and am as fully informed as I can be.

bk89

Lairian
Opting to get propofol is a much better idea over ketamine in any pet that may have heart problems.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm going to have to discuss with my vet again to see EXACTLY what they are going to use - I told them about the no ketamine rule and they explained that what they do is give some kind of gas that knocks them out for about 5 minutes and then they bring them back to. Does that sound right? Like I said, I am going to need to discuss this with them again, but reading the post about the "C.ocktail" made me nervous since it sounds like what they were talking about uses ketamine.

bk89

Lairian
I'm going to have to discuss with my vet again to see EXACTLY what they are going to use - I told them about the no ketamine rule and they explained that what they do is give some kind of gas that knocks them out for about 5 minutes and then they bring them back to. Does that sound right? Like I said, I am going to need to discuss this with them again, but reading the post about the "C.ocktail" made me nervous since it sounds like what they were talking about uses ketamine.
Just ask your vet..not your tech or the reception unless they work in surgery (the tech) and know what they are talking about and can give you specific answers to what the drug protocol is. What kind of gas, what premeds and what they plan to use as an induction agent. Opt for a catheter with any procedure and get propofol. Easy down easy up.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you bk89! When I had discussed the procedure with the vet, it was when I had first learned of his heart murmur and I wasn't thinking/retaining information very clearly. Last time I was there I saw a different vet who said we'd just wait and see how the murmur was in January and then discuss the procedure.
This board has helped me tremendously. Now I know what to listen for and what questions to ask. Thanks so much everyone!

Thunderheader

Lairian
So what are the alternatives if sevoflurane or isoflurane are not available? I spoke with the vet earlier today regarding my boy's upcoming appointment on Thursday for a neuter procedure; she mentioned Hydromorphone? Is this something safe for Sphynx? She said I will be speaking with the doctor before the procedure.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So what are the alternatives if sevoflurane or isoflurane are not available? I spoke with the vet earlier today regarding my boy's upcoming appointment on Thursday for a neuter procedure; she mentioned Hydromorphone? Is this something safe for Sphynx? She said I will be speaking with the doctor before the procedure.
I can tell you that a well known risk with Ketamine for Anesthesia in the sphynx breed is if an underlying heart condition such as HCM there can be a risk of death. I did find this snippet for a cat dental recommendation, again, it seems certain issues can occur if there are underlying heart problems, " For healthy cats our first choice is hydromorphone 0.2 mg/kg or butorphanol 0.2 mg/kg combined with medetomidine 0.010 to 0.015 mg/kg., plus atropine. As cats become more debilitated or aged we use butorphanol 0.2 mg/kg or hydromorphone 0.2 mg/kg with 0.2 to 0.4 mg/kg midazolam. For fractious cats presenting without feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), ketamine 1 to 5 mg/kg is administered as needed; for those with HCM, low-volume medetomidine (0.005 mg/kg) is administered instead." Be sure to discuss with your vet. :)

Back