Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! :(

My Archibald has a ras or something? It's only this one round spot, I have no idea where it came from.Nothing has changed around the house, nor in his routine. No new food or litter or grooming things. I'm nervous, has anyone had this experience? If so what is it? Will it go away on it's own or is there something I can do to help? This isn't the best image, but I tried. Please and thank you for your help!

Attachments

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Archibald has a ras or something? It's only this one round spot, I have no idea where it came from.Nothing has changed around the house, nor in his routine. No new food or litter or grooming things. I'm nervous, has anyone had this experience? If so what is it? Will it go away on it's own or is there something I can do to help? This isn't the best image, but I tried. Please and thank you for your help!
It's very hard to make out the spot in the photo. Does it hurt him or bother him when touched? Is it raised? There isn't a way for him to have been exposed to ring worm?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It really looks like ringworm to me. He needs a trip to the vets, they will put a black light on it, if it glows then it's ringworm. Think they can do another test involving taking a small scraping.

Had a quick research and he'll need meds (can have oral meds from vet plus creams/ lotions) and you'll have to sterilize his bedding etc as it's contagious. The spores will live in the fabric.

Will my blacklight work to test it!? That's gross! If he had it, wouldn't I have it!? Where could it have come from!? It's only in one spot, though...and no, it doesn't seem to hurt him.

susi794

Staff member
It looks like what ringworm is supposed to look like....you need to take him to the vet. If it is ringworm, it's HIGHLY contagious.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Will my blacklight work to test it!? That's gross! If he had it, wouldn't I have it!? Where could it have come from!? It's only in one spot, though...and no, it doesn't seem to hurt him.
Apparently ringworm spores can live a couple of years in the right situation on carpets/ fabric etc. He could be carrying it in his system and for whatever reason it is active now. A simple scratch or broken skin and its become a lesion. If you have a black light, take him in a dark room and shine it on that section. Ringworm will glow. Apparently not all strains of ringworm will show under a black light but hopefully it will give you an answer.
Please excuse typo's I'm on my phone.

Last edited:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
skip the black light and go to the vet. its ringworm. Thats what ringworm looks like. Just because you dont have it yet, doesnt mean you cant get it....wash your hands after handling the cat and get some treatment! Sorry to sound melodramatic....but you need it treated asap.

Gensen

Lairian
Apparently ringworm spores can live a couple of years in the right situat
ion on carpets/ fabric etc. He could be carrying it in his system and for whatever reason it is active now. A simple scratch or broken skin and its become a lesion. If you have a black light, take him in a dark room and shine it on that section. Ringworm will glow. Apparently not all strains of ringworm will show under a black light but hopefully it will give you an answer.
Please excuse typo's I'm on my phone.
Yes, you really would have to make a trip to the Vet as mentioned here not all "types/strains" of ringworm will show up under a black light so even if you look and do not see anything under the light he could still have it and the only way to know 100% is for the Vet to test it with a scraping... good luck with your kitty!

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It does look like ringworm. It is caused by a fungus. It is highly contagious, and can be transmitted to other pets and humans. It is best to go to the vet, although I have treated some cats with an OTC antifungal cream i.e miconazole or clotrimazole twice daily for 2-4 weeks. I would also recommend bathing the cat with Malaseb shampoo, which has an antifungal in it. The entire house has to be disinfected. A lot of sphynxes like to sleep with their humans in bed. I would suggest that you not allow this for the time being. It is recommended that the affected pet be isolated in a separate room until the infection clears. I would think this would be difficult with a sphynx, as they are such a social breed.

Have you figured out what it is? It looks like "Ring Worm"

Erindanielleg

Lairian
That's definitely ringworm. If not, than the closest thing I have ever seen. Hope all is well!

uzska75

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i agrre with the others. Hope he is okay