Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help!!

Marie

Lairian
Good evening everyone!! I am new to this forum as I am also a new mommy My 4 month old baby girl Luna (she's been home with us since Oct.18th) is giving me so much work I can barely keep up but we love her to pieces so I need your help. She poops 2-3 times a day and it just smells so bad but the main issue is that as she burries it she also steps in it and tracks it in bed and every where else she goes, she ends-up having a bath every time and I worry that it's too much but at the same time holy geeeze I can't leave it like that either.. So much cleaning all the time. Her diet is vet prescribed food, we just got her off the raw because she had an overgrowth of bad bacteria poor girl and was sick due to that.. Now, are sphynx known to be so stinky

AlexaEels

Lairian
From what I know about sphynx it is very common. We have been lucky to avoid this problem so far. The food we changed them to is actually working really well for them. Also, we have a very large litter box and use Arm and Hammer muiticat 7 day no smell litter. Of course this is with scooping every day. Works well for us so far and we have the litter box right next to our bed and can't smell a thing with 3 cats using it. I even didn't scoop for a few days because of being extremely busy with thanksgiving and there was no smell at all.

Marie

Lairian
Thank you for taking the time to reply i need advice so bad cuz I'm going to loose my mind I use flushable litter (wheat) I thought it was a good idea but it may not be Either way, I just need to find a solution to this 3 baths/day issue It's too much

AlexaEels

Lairian
I have noticed the litter I use completely covers their poop and they don't step in it with the bigger box. I guess it was a problem at their breeders and it is common for sphynx, but we have had no issues and also this litter seems to stay in the box instead of in their feet and all over the house. Now I have yet to find out if it causes them any skin or paw issues because it has only been 5 days, but so far so good.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Have you took a poo sample to the Vet to be checked
for Guardia? Their poo does stink, but, if it's a different
kind of stink, I would have it checked.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Good evening everyone!! I am new to this forum as I am also a new mommy My 4 month old baby girl Luna (she's been home with us since Oct.18th) is giving me so much work I can barely keep up but we love her to pieces so I need your help. She poops 2-3 times a day and it just smells so bad but the main issue is that as she burries it she also steps in it and tracks it in bed and every where else she goes, she ends-up having a bath every time and I worry that it's too much but at the same time holy geeeze I can't leave it like that either.. So much cleaning all the time. Her diet is vet prescribed food, we just got her off the raw because she had an overgrowth of bad bacteria poor girl and was sick due to that.. Now, are sphynx known to be so stinky
Welcome! Some good suggestions thus far. My first concern is, the stinky poo, and when you say steps in it, I'm guessing its runny poo, not solid? Its very common for kitties to come home with a bug like Giardia as @Hairless Blessing had mentioned, most vets just treat it to be safe and rule it out. Also, food change can cause runny and or bloody poo until their system adjusts for the new food change. As @AlexaEels had mentioned, a bigger box is sometimes better, we use a large Rubbermaid container with a hole cut in the top to reduce litter travel, they even make them now and sell them on Amazon. :)

top-entry-litter-box-350x332.jpg

CerseiBae

Lairian
Welcome and I have so much empathy towards you with my new baby. Their poops are stinky but when I use the wellness organic wet food it doesn't smell as bad. You'll have to test and see what works for your cats tummy.

Also, we got an automated litter box and it's the best. She knocks some of the litter out. But I don't have to worry about it too much

Lady Matriarch

Lairian
Thank you for taking the time to reply i need advice so bad cuz I'm going to loose my mind I use flushable litter (wheat) I thought it was a good idea but it may not be Either way, I just need to find a solution to this 3 baths/day issue It's too much
OKAY! There's part of your problem! That litter! I used the same stuff and my baby was experienceing the same horrible smelling poo that he just seemed to get everywhere. He even started not using it. I switched litters and it got better. That natural stuff just got stuck to him and he had a sort of reaction to it. (We think we aren't vets) but he got much better when we switched. It might be caused by the food if it has wheat/corn. Best of luck hope she gets better <3

AndreaM

Lairian
My poor sphynx girl has developed liquid diarrhea recently and has been stepping in it. She even pooped all over her tail a couple of days ago (she has a very hairy tail so I'm so glad I was watching and could clean it up right away!)

We recently moved, and after a week and a half in the new home I brought home a Devon Rex kitten. My sphynx had normal-ish poo until just this past weekend and I hope it's due to stress and not a bug, but does anyone know if the new kitten could have given her something that causes the diarrhea? She lived with the new kitten for about a week before the diarrhea started.

I'm transitioning them both to a different food -- she was on the kitten breeder's recommended food (she was on it for a good 2 months in prep, and no, it's not kitten food, but yes, it caused soft stools, though nothing liquid like it is now). Kitten boy had soft stools that are now forming up nicely with this food transition, but poor girl is sick.

Just additional info, today alone she had diarrhea 5 times and threw up her breakfast. I put some fortiflora (live culture supplement for cats) on her food tonight, hope that will help. I see a vet visit in my future but I am still curious about others' experiences.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Could be stress, could be something the kitten brought in or it might be the change of food. With that many bouts of diarrhea and vomit in just one day. I would fear dehydration could occur and that is dangerous. Not sure if you had your new kitten vet checked. If not, I would make an appt for both and bring a poop sample @AndreaM

Let us know how it goes...good luck,
Patti

susi794

Staff member
Diarrhea and vomiting is serious and kittens can go sour quickly. I would go to the vet sooner than later.@AndreaM

Three to five baths per week is too many baths. Try keeping a container of baby wipes close by and using that instead of so many baths. And you might want to try adding a bit of 100% pure pumpkin ( not the pumpkin pie mix) just the pure pumpkin to the food to help solidify the poop. Also baby rice cereal can help firm poop up also. And definitely check for giardia.

AndreaM

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Just got back from the vet with some meds. No parasites or other bad stuff in her stool; they think the kitten's upper respiratory transferred to big sis sphynx kitty & that it can carry digestive issues. She woke up with conjunctivitis in one eye, so she had drop for that, as well as drops for her ears. Poor kitty! It's no fun have 2 sick cats.

AMEDooley

Lairian
From what I know about sphynx it is very common. We have been lucky to avoid this problem so far. The food we changed them to is actually working really well for them. Also, we have a very large litter box and use Arm and Hammer muiticat 7 day no smell litter. Of course this is with scooping every day. Works well for us so far and we have the litter box right next to our bed and can't smell a thing with 3 cats using it. I even didn't scoop for a few days because of being extremely busy with thanksgiving and there was no smell at all.

I use the same litter and I have never had an issue with smell. Most of the time people don't know I have a cat until they jump on them lol.

AlexaEels

Lairian
I use the same litter and I have never had an issue with smell. Most of the time people don't know I have a cat until they jump on them lol.
Same here. Lol. They notice only when the end up with two cats on their shoulders. It is really the best litter I have ever used. I did find out the light weight is too dark and stained their feet so I stick with the regular one.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@AndreaM glad you got the to the vet fast. In a few days they will hopefully be feeling much better and things will firm up. Antibiotics can some times bother tummies, so don't think the poop,issue will go away in a day. Keep us updated.

Patti

Back