Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help!

Hey everyone! Very new to the sphynx forum, my little dude just had his first birthday in August! With his first birthday comes the question of which adult food do I feed him? He's currently on the Royal Canin Kitten food, which is what he came from the breeder on. However with this he does have very loose stools, so I have been supplementing him with organic pumpkin at the recommendation of a friend, which works most of the time. After reading a few forums i can see that many sphynx have a sensitive gut, which I'm wondering if that is his issue....
I am concerned to start him on anything particularly as my little man has an enlarged heart :(
I would appreciate any feedback I can get!
Thanks so much,
Keep Calm and love a sphynx!
-Casey

Welcome to the lair :) What's your boy's name? Would love to see more pics! Can't advise on food and heart issues I'm afraid as I have no experience with this (knock on wood...) :confused: Do you give him any probiotics at all? My boy is 10,5 months old and I have started mixing in a pinch of dry adult food with his dry kitten food, so that he'll get used to it. I also use a probiotic with both Bifidobacterium and Enterococcus faecium, the first helping in the smaller intestine and the second for the colon to help firm the stool and keep gut bacteria levels healthy. Butchie's poop has been really healthy ever since I started him on that.

Thanks! I don't use any supplementation thus far but anything is worth a try! His name is Finn! I have attached a few, but my computer doesn't have any recent ones,my phone on the other hand don't even get me started... lol

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! A great rule of thumb is to feed the best quality food you can afford and they tolerate. Just like with people if there is detected heart issue, it is best to consult your vet and keep their weight under control.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Is you boy on any cardiac medications for his enlarged heart? If not you may want to talk to your vet about the reoccurring loose stool. Sometimes with cardiac issues you will also have intestinal issues. I experianced this with my two boys who had enlarged hearts.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MissCaseyMay , hello amd happy belated 1st bday wishes to adorable Finn.
I have 4 Sphynx .. 2 with with heart murmurs . I used to feed Acana but they got loose stool amd greasy skin.
I switched them to Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag .No recalls , no more loose stools . I like that it low ash too. You can ask your vet if this would be a good alternative for Finn.
Cat & Kitten Chicken Meal, Salmon & Liver Cat Food - NutriSource Pet Foods
I but it online at Hollywood feed.com (no tax to my state ) free shipping over $49 . They are a regular store front store that is very helpful if you call them too. Great customer service .

The Tuffy's pet food company has been around a long time - they also have a "pure vita" grain free line . A member feeds the pure vita (duck formula )with good results too in case you prefer grain free . Grain Free - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods

My crew has done great with the grain inclusive Nutrisource.

Just wanted to share because I have dome several food trials with my crew. Now I can free feed and go with no problems

Big news smooches to Finn. Keep us updated often

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know about diets for an enlarged heart but this is something I've wondered about for years - is there really a problem with kitten food for an adult cat? If anything, I've found kitten foods to have a little higher protein which is a good thing.