Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Here is my "formal" hello :o)

MikkiJean

Lairian
Hey everyone!
I already posted on the site a bit, and actually had been observing a while before posting. I'm looking for a sphynx kitty to call my own. I have a furry boy, Louis (silent "s," Louie), who is a domestic short hair, orange tabby and I love him to pieces. But we both need another friend... a naked one:LOL:

I have been researching for quite sometime now, but haven't yet found mine :Frown: A rescue would be more in my price range, but if I found the one I know I would fork over the cash! My problem with the breeders is I have read soooo many horror stories that I am scared to death to purchase a little sphynx. Does anyone know about breeders near KC or St Louis, MO??? Preferably KC, but my mom lives in STL so that is also possible. I wouldn't mind a few hour drive either, but I probably can't afford to have the kitty shipped. If anyone can help me out please let me know!

All the rescues I have come across are too far away or have been scams. I did find one earlier, but my boyfriend and I weren't on the same page like I thought. We should be good now though.. I am ALWAYS looking at them!

Last edited:

MikkiJean

Lairian
Be very careful I know many of the breeders in that area are bad.
How much are you willing to spend?

Yeah, I've kind of gotten that feeling from a couple. I think one of the breeders (which was a hefty 5ish hour drive from here) was mentioned by somebody on here and they got a sick kitty from them or something.

I know sphynx are expensive, but really 1000 is the absolute top of my budget, and that will make me stretch for a few months. That's why I've been trying to find a rescue.

A breeder I contacted a while back emailed me yesterday saying she reduced the price of one of her boys to $900. That's good for my wallet, but why the reduced price?? She still has 3 kittens left that are 10 weeks old and I don't know how many were originally in the litter. She's also letting them go at 12 weeks... I thought they were supposed to be a few weeks older?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There are a few breeder I do recommend but you would need to have the kitten shipped.
My mentor might still have a altered male for $500
Also you may ask me in a pm what breeders I trust.
Look at the list Holly sent you also.
If you have a question ask me.

MikkiJean

Lairian
There are a few breeder I do recommend but you would need to have the kitten shipped.
My mentor might still have a altered male for $500
Also you may ask me in a pm what breeders I trust.
Look at the list Holly sent you also.
If you have a question ask me.

Thanks! I will PM you!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome MikkiJean and good luck finding your nudey. Just go slow, check out the breeders and remember that if a deal seems too good to be true - it usually is.

As for the reduced price kitten, I can see that happening if the breeder still has 3 kittens not reserved at 10 weeks old, especially if they're expecting more babies soon. Plus the majority of the country is in a recession and people don't have the disposable income they had in the past, so I imagine kitten sales have been hit by it too.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site and good luck on your hunt for the right naked baby.
Not all breeder stories are horrible. My breeder from Flint (area), Michigan was actually very nice to work with. and i have spoken to a breeder on the phone from WI, who was exteremly helpful with some questions i had related to the breed. Perhaps you can get some referrals to breeders from the site.
Also, keep a look out on criagslist and kijiji (and similiar sites). i found one of my babies on CL for free. Although i agree, i have found some scams on there as well. You get what you get with those type of sites.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome MikkiJean! There are sphynx quite often on here needing homes, also ask about retired breeders if you are not set on a kitten, those are generally less costly, and shipping really is not as expensive as you would think. Gummi flew from Wa, to SC for about 250. Good luck, I can't wait to see the pics of your new addition when you find it!:ThumbsUp:

Back