Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Another scammer. I was googling for Sphynx in Abiline, Texas and found this ad:

Canandian Sphynx Kitten for Adoption . Male . | Abilene Cats for sale | Male Sphynx | 2165969903 | Oodle

I e-mailed and got this back:

Hello Angelo, please i will like to send your all these details to your address
directly, can you please go to my site and see the kitten then select from the
free and send me a message directly using the address on site
http://homesphynx.yolasite.com/
thanks and waiting to give more details.

These people keep using the same cat pictures. Who are these cats. Seems like I have seen them before.

Bella07

Banned
I just glanced through the Sphynx for adoption on Oodle, and it's such a shame...There are so many scammers....I really hope no one falls for one. :Sweat:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have seen that pic somewhere before and the sphynx looks like tortie so I bet its a girl.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The cats look extremely well grown for kittens too. They've took somebodies adult Sphynx pictures from somewhere.
I hate scammers.:Angry:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes they did take pictures and they are adults. The female is said to have a sister - looks identical. Yup it is the same cat. Weirdos.:Angry:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have noticed that the scammers seem to pop up more when reputable breeders are in between litters. The scammers know how to prey on new Sphynx addicts.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Got this in my e-mail.

who are you and why do you think i am a scammer? i have not scammed any one and those cats are mine.

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:03:15 -0500
Subject: TAKE YOUR SITE DOWN
To: [email protected]

You are a scammer - fraud and I am reporting you. Take all your websites down and stop using other peoples cat pictures.

WARNING

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't think asking them to take their site down would accomplish much -- I'd recommend communicating enough to satisfy yourself that they are, in fact scammers then reporting the ads via what ever method the ad-site has.

kinda like trying to 'unsubscribe' from spam -- all it does is confirm to the spammer that the email address is 'live'

asking an unethical person to stop being unethical...

Sphynx_Mama

Lairian
:Surprise:
I had no idea this went on!! how does the scam work? I mean do they ask for payment in advance or something?

Avasmommy

Lairian
Most pet scams work as such: The last scammer I was "messing" with. (Knowing it was a scam) I asked if they would accept Cash on Delivery, so I could be sure that I would get my kittens. They said that would be fine (Huge red flag!). So I gave them the address to the local Air Port (Never give out your real name, address, phone number). They said that the cats would be shipped in a day. 2 days later I got a hokey looking e-mail from a "delivery agency". They told me that the cost would be 300 or so dollars, the English was off. About mid ways down in the e-mail they said that my Parrot would be shipped to me in great condition. (Even BIGGER red flag). So I e-mailed the scammers back and said that I was not going to pay until I had the kittens in my arms, and could tell that they were healthy. The Scammer tried to guilt me into paying for the shipping stating that, now the kittens were sitting at the shipping agency being stressed out blah blah blah, and that if I wouldn't pay the shipping that they would get their friend in NY to get the kittens.

Basically Scams work as such:
A super great deal/price on expensive dogs/cats/birds.
A sob story about how they cant keep it.
They only need 2-300 dollars to ship the pet to you
You pay, then you don't see your pet, and the scammers disappear into the wild blue yonder.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I have info on this. They say they just want their kittens to go to a good home so they are free but they need you to send them $ for shipping costs (always seems to be $250). I ran across one of these scammers in my local pennysaver. He said he was a local breeder but would never give me his address to see the kittens. Just send the $ and I'll ship them, he said. Of course I wasn't going for that- hello I live locally why would I pay for shipping-DUH! Any way the pictures he posted were from a breeder in San Diego, so I emailed her and gave her his ad and address. The best part of this story is that I now own the kitten he was trying to scam me with- I bought her from the real breeder and we are living happily ever after- Take that scammers!!!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Well I have info on this. They say they just want their kittens to go to a good home so they are free but they need you to send them $ for shipping costs (always seems to be $250). I ran across one of these scammers in my local pennysaver. He said he was a local breeder but would never give me his address to see the kittens. Just send the $ and I'll ship them, he said. Of course I wasn't going for that- hello I live locally why would I pay for shipping-DUH! Any way the pictures he posted were from a breeder in San Diego, so I emailed her and gave her his ad and address. The best part of this story is that I now own the kitten he was trying to scam me with- I bought her from the real breeder and we are living happily ever after- Take that scammers!!!!

Wow,,Lucky you!! Not many people can say that!! lol Good for you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back