Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Herpes? Or? Help.

Loosafur

Lairian
Hi everybody. About 6 weeks a go I got to bring home my baby loosafur. Two weeks before we picked him up we got a call from the breeder saying he had a runny eye. We pushed back the day to pick him up hoping he would get better. We decided to pick him up and his eye looked bad. The breeder said it was way worse. So the breeder gave us a ointment cream with a steroid to put in his eye 4 times a day. We called his vet making sure that this was the correct plan of action we needed to take. During that phone call I found out that the breeder had lied to us and all of his litter mates had died. He wasn't exactly sure what happened or what they had. He also told me that loosafur had an upper respiratory infection a few weeks prior also. He did tell us to continue on with the eye meds.

Because of the thickness I think it irritated his face more and made his eye worse. We took him to my vet the day we brought him home making sure it didn't look like anything his sister pretty (nebelung) could catch. He said he didn't think so. He also had us keep using a cream in his eye. His eye did get somewhat better.

He also always has about 75%solid stool.

We have been on "vacation" the last few weeks staying with my fiances family in NC. When we got here we took loosa to a local vet here. The vet in NC he told us that he believed that loosafur had an ulser probably due to him itching his eye. He recommended that we switch to tobramycin ophthalmic solution eyedrops. The first few days were fine. His eye did start to improve more with the new drops. BUT his face went bald. So we discontinued the use of them right away. His eye now is at about 85% and has a tiny cataract in it the size of led from a pencil.

He has not been tested for feline herpes. He is fiv and feline leukemia negative.

Does anyone have any advice? Or anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks
Brittany

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
URIs can be common in sphynx kittens especially when bringing them home but it is a red flag to me that the rest of the litter died and the breeder was not honest with you. Sounds like a bad breeder.

It could be herpes, you can see if the eye issues and symptoms persist after he has been treated for the URI & eye ulcer. Have you heard of L-Lysine? We give it to Alfie who had weepy eyes and it has helped.

As for the loose stool, it can be common in sphynx. Their stomachs are notoriously sensitive and it can be challenging to find a food that agrees with them, No harm in having your vet test for parasites though that might be causing digestive issues if you want to be sure.

By tiny cataract do you mean there is a scar from the ulcer? One of our boys has this and it has never caused any problems.

I hope he recovers soon :) keep us updated.

Loosafur

Lairian
By cataract I do mean scar. It is white in color and looks like someone took a white pencil and drew it on his eye. His eyes are also completely different in color. His good eye is bright gold with a rim of blue and his other eye is brown with a rim of green/blue. I just recently found out about l- lysine. I will be purchaing some ASAP.

I've been feeding him blue buffalo kitten.And science diet wet food. He llives eating. And is steadily gaining weight.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a link that gives some information for you. I hope the eye clears up soon. L-Lysine (what Zoinks recommended) is a great product to use for respiratory issues.
Can you perhaps post a picture? We recently saw 2 cats with a different eye issue called Entropion. It is where the eyelid folds in and causes irritation.

http://sphynxlair.com/community/ind...h-Feline-Herpes-and-L-Lysine.3217/#post-44048

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Healing hugs)) to baby loosafur- I would definitely consider a follow up vet visit ..
Sending healing thoughts - looking foward to positive updates on your baby

Back