Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi everyone! I joined as i am worried about my kitten

mati

Lairian
Hi everyone,

Me and my missus got a beautiful sphynx girl yesterday. She had her first vaccination done on the 8th of December and yesterday we took her away from her mom and two brothers. After reading few threads on this forum, we got very worried that we took her way too early. She only turned 11 weeks today.

Is she going to be all right? Or, should we return her back to her mom for those few weeks?
She seems to adopt her new home, she's playful and very curious. At night she had waken up 3 times and cried for a little bit. We played with her until she got cosy in our bed and fell asleep. She obviously missus her mom.

The breeder said she's fine and it's not too early to take her and we believed her, until we've done some research.

What do you guys think?

We'd appreciate your opinion on it... and some advice what's the best here for our cute Millie.

Attachments

• millie.jpg
    millie.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most breeders that worth their salt won’t let a kitten go before 13 to 16 weeks however if she’s doing good health wise she should be fine bless her she’s gorgeous. Just watch her and make her feel a bit extra secure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mati

Lairian
Yeah, I'm worried sick. I am doing everything i can for her to feel the safest it's possible. Today she seems a bit more distant than she was yesterday, after we brought her. She still has a nice appetite, but all she wants is to cuddle and sleep. I am afraid she will get some sort of anxiety or depression...

Would it be too much of a stress and confusion for her, if I'd bring her back to the breeder, I don't think it's too late, it hadn't been even full 24 hours since she was separated from her mom.

May be, I'm just over thinking all of this, but I feel super sorry for her and it's breaking my heart knowing she wasn't ready to go yet.

Last edited:

Katethespy

Lairian
I wouldn't worry too much. Most non-pedigree cats go at 8 weeks, which I believe is too young, but for the most part they do fine. Most of the issues that could arise from going too early are social based - they maybe don't develop inter-cat social skills too well but from my knowledge, this is almost fully developed at 8 weeks. If she appears content and healthy, don't worry.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like she’s just adjusting if she’s eating and drinking and going potty she’s fine she’s lucky to have found someone who is so conscious of her well being

mati

Lairian
Thank you so much everyone! I feel a lot better now knowing she will be all right and there's not much to worry about.

I've been told the same by my girlfriend, but what could she have known if she never owed a cat herself!

Thanks again for encouragenent!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There’s no harm in asking and checking :) as the cliche goes rather safe then sorry :) now just. Enjoy her and bombard us with cute photos of her :)

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Firstly she is absolutely adorable!! But like the others have said I wouldn't worry too much just give her lots of love and attention and she will be fine.
I would only start to worry if she has loss of appetite or has toilet issues but if she seems fine at that end I would definitely not worry :)

mati

Lairian
Right, thanks for all the support. You guys are super nice. Here's few pics of her before napping.

One more thing, when she cries and look for her family is it okay to play a sound of a purring cat just to calm her down and make her relax beside me? It works like a charm

Attachments

• 20171215_221755.jpg
    20171215_221755.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20171215_222455.jpg
    20171215_222455.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 99

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She is so precious. And it's great that you are so supportive. Because of that, I'm sure she'll be fine. Just give her lots of love, which you already are.

They do cry a bit for the first few days or even week as they miss their littermates and mother, but that is normal.

And congrats!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair @mati your baby is beautiful. Yes your baby is a bit young to be sent to their forever home, but just you recognizing that and asking questions is a good thing. You just need to be her “parents” keep a close eye and do not second guess any issues. She is lucky to have a home that is already concerned and caring. Many get upper respiratory infections (URI ) when they go to their forever home due to stress. Younger ones even more so, so if you see signs of sneezing, watery eyes, goopy eyes etc, get to your vet and catch it early.

Set up your wellness check up with your vet ASAP. Most breeders say you need to get a vet check within 2-3 days of taking them home. Don’t forget to bring a poop sample with you. She is absolute precious.

mati

Lairian
Thank you for those nice words and a piece of advice!

Her eyes are totally clean but she'd be sneezing quite often if you ask me.

I'll bring her to a vet tomorrow just for a sanity check.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

Me and my missus got a beautiful sphynx girl yesterday. She had her first vaccination done on the 8th of December and yesterday we took her away from her mom and two brothers. After reading few threads on this forum, we got very worried that we took her way too early. She only turned 11 weeks today.

Is she going to be all right? Or, should we return her back to her mom for those few weeks?
She seems to adopt her new home, she's playful and very curious. At night she had waken up 3 times and cried for a little bit. We played with her until she got cosy in our bed and fell asleep. She obviously missus her mom.

The breeder said she's fine and it's not too early to take her and we believed her, until we've done some research.

What do you guys think?

We'd appreciate your opinion on it... and some advice what's the best here for our cute Millie.
Many breeders let them go at 12 weeks so you will be fine. What a cutie! :)

Back