Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi everyone!

Lauren

Lairian
I'm new here. I adopted my first spyhynx nearly a month ago. His name is Kenny, he is four months old I believe. He is the sweetest little thing. I'm still getting used to this breed; this forum has already been more helpful than anything else. I can't wait to talk to other people who love the sphynx as much as I do!

So far the biggest issue is that Kenny keeps stepping in his own poo when he uses the litter box and it's getting tracked everywhere! I'm going crazy wiping the floors everytime he uses the bathroom! :Dizzy: The lady I got him from said she used Feline Pine Clumping, I have been using that, it's okay but it seems there may be something better. I'm sure I could find a topic on cat litter once I look around here more.

-Lauren

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lauren and welcome to you and Kenny, glad you found us.
As far as litter goes I have never used the one you are using but if it does not clump very well (it sounds like it doesn't if it is getting all over) I would switch to something else. We use arm&hammer and have no problems.
Don't forget we love pictures!:Wink:

J

Jinxlover

Welcome.. I love scoop away litter.. Clumps well and smells great.Well as great as used cat litter can smell:Dizzy:..lol

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, I'm also a fan of worlds best and cats best oko plus is very good and is biodegradable. I used to get a lot of tracking but have come up with a new system of putting 2 open litter trays outside the main hooded tray that the cats have to step into when they come out of the main loo. There is still a little tracking but it stops a lot of it.

susi794

Staff member
Hi, I'm also a fan of worlds best and cats best oko plus is very good and is biodegradable. I used to get a lot of tracking but have come up with a new system of putting 2 open litter trays outside the main hooded tray that the cats have to step into when they come out of the main loo. There is still a little tracking but it stops a lot of it.
Hi Lauren and Kenny--welcome to the Lair!
Sam, is there any way you can post a pic of this set up so I can see exactly what you mean? Since I took out all my carpet and replaced with linoleum that looks like laminate wood flooring, my floor is a total mess of constant kitty litter. I could sweep it 850 times a day and it's still all full of cat litter.

holly_savage

Banned
Welcome Lauren, I use both the pine(for poo) and the silica crystals(for pees). (I know this sounds insane, but she seems to like the crystal, but will only pee in there! We wee using the pine for while, then had to buy new stuff cause she was being babysat at the inlaws for a week...the store was out of pine, so I decided to try the crystals. Well when we came home, the pine litter was in the one box and we decided to leave the crystals out too, since they are good for at leats a month...and that is how we have 2 litter boxes)

The pine does track litter, but it stays generally around the actual box...the silica crystals work awesome, but they come out of the box with her, which means they are dragged around the whole house:Angry:, and let me tell you...they are not a nice thing to step on in bare feet! :Cry:(OUCH)

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Lauren and Kenny--welcome to the Lair!
Sam, is there any way you can post a pic of this set up so I can see exactly what you mean? Since I took out all my carpet and replaced with linoleum that looks like laminate wood flooring, my floor is a total mess of constant kitty litter. I could sweep it 850 times a day and it's still all full of cat litter.

Suzi, I have my camera on charge so I will get some pics tomo and post them on a new thread for you! I just push the litter box as close to the wall as I can facing the cat flap part towards the wall, then I put a normal tray between the main litter box and the wall and another one down the side! So the main box is surrounded and they have to step into the boxes on their way out, it does stop some of the tracking. I just have to keep remembering to empty any litter back into the main box.

I saw a cool contraption someone had made a while back where they had cut a hole in the back of a hooded litter box and attached it to the main one so they had to walk through an empty box before coming out and any residue from their paws ended up in the empty box! Pretty nifty idea. But I havn't tried it yet!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair Lauren. I'm so happy to see another person join from Ohio! May I ask what part you are in? I'm in Mansfield (exactly in the middle of the state). Anyhow you have gotten some great advice and I have nothing additional to offer but Welcome to the lair!!!

Lauren

Lairian
Welcome to the Lair Lauren. I'm so happy to see another person join from Ohio! May I ask what part you are in? I'm in Mansfield (exactly in the middle of the state). Anyhow you have gotten some great advice and I have nothing additional to offer but Welcome to the lair!!!

I live in Cincinnati! Yay Ohio!

Thank you, everyone, for all the good advice. At least I have options!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Lauren and Kenny! I used the pine before, but had the same stepping in poo issues you have. Now I use regular clumping litter, arm and hammer, works great for us.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
welcome to the site!! :)
We use Tidy cat usually. it seems to clump pretty well. poo all around the house would drive me nuts too!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to SPhynx lair!!! I have three cats, and the ONLY litter I will use is Arm & Hammer Multicat w/ammonia blocker

Back