Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi, Firehillqueen, new to sphynxlair!

firehillqueen

Banned
I found this forum on facebook and was thrilled to join up with a group of sphynx owners.
I bought two Sphynx a little more then two years ago. The first was a four month old, pet quality male kitten. He was black with bright green eyes. I named him Singe, a name with double meaning, Singe is french for monkey, and he looked like he had been scorched, so the name was perfect for him. Three months later the breeder offered me a six month old silvery grey show quality neutered male, Du. I fell in love with this breed at first sight and considered myself lucky to have such a charming pair of nurtured boys. But recently my joy was stricken with sorrow. We lost Singe the end of December do to an undiagnosed heart issue. Du was so lonely that I started looking for a foster/rehoming sphynx. Tragically Du slipped out the door while there was company here. We searched and searched and offered a substantial reward, but to no avail. My heart is broken, and I am still unconsolable. A few couple weeks later we were offered a retired neutered older female. Tosca is overweight and needy, but we love her. She has chosen my husband to be *her* human. I have arranged to get a pure bred sphynx, sable point, blue eyed female kitten. Hopefully she will be *mine*. I now hope to show the coming kitten. I love this breed of cat and believe in promoting them, but I have learned to beware of casual breeders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: "introductions" forum?

Sorry about your sphynxs and welcome to sphynx lair.
Do you need any advice on showing?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Hi, new to sphynxlair!

Hi Firehillqueen and welcome to Sphynxlair! Sorry to hear about your sad stories, i hope things are settling down and better now for you! Please enjoy the site!:Laugh::ThumbsUp:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: Hi, new to sphynxlair!

Hi welcome to the site really sorry about you sphynx thats very sad. I hope the future is brighter!

firehillqueen

Banned
I have found a lot of comfort in providing Tosca a loving, forever, home. This is a wonderfully warm and welcoming site filled with helpful people. I can use all the advice on showing I can get. I checked out the breeder that I am getting my new kitten from. She is very forthcoming with information on what to look for in a show quality cat. It also checks out with independent researching that I have done. I know that is no guarantee on placing in a cat show, but I am not showing for ribbons, I want to show for the enjoyment. Later on, I would like to breed Sphynx, but I have no desire to be a *backyard* kitten mill. This breed is so rare here still and so many people are interested in them. I want to promote them without lowering the standard and quality of this unique cat. I have learned the most painful way possible when I lost my dear Singe do to a hereditary heart issue.
On a more personal introduction... I am a graphic artist, semi-retired, with plenty of time at home to dedicate to my pets. I own 4 charming and spoiled chihuahuas, 5 horses, and so far 1 sphynx with another to join us next month. Oh, did I mention 1 husband. No, I don't really own him, sometimes I think I rent him by the month. ( laugh ) He didn't use to like cats but the Sphynx cats changed that. He has been seen kissing the tops of their heads as they hold him down during T.V. time.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Showing is fun.
I started showing a year ago with my first sphynx.
I just got my third sphynx last sat and his first show is next weekend.
You can learn alot from shows.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Hello, welcome!

What a sad story about your cats :Cry: but it's so happy that you have taken this girl in even if she's in love with your hubs:BigSmile:

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome! I am sorry about you losing you kitties. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I freak out everytime someone new comes over that my girl might get out. At the suggestion of Jinxlover I put a really LOUD bell on her so I can find the little sneak. I am so glad you found a rescue. I can't believe anyone would not take care of one of these little monkeys. They just steal your heart. My husband is not a cat person, but Abby has completely won him over. She and her best friend our Chihuahua are all over him everynight. He can't sit in his chair without the "girls" joining him. Good luck with you new one.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to this wonderful place! We are a knowledgeable, wonderfully caring community of friends and cat lovers here at the Lair. You're going to wonder how you ever managed without it! It's very well run and has lots of great features--check out the search function, our map, all the social groups and photo albums.
Hugs from me and my gang,
Susi

sphynxluvr

Lairian
so sorry to hear of your loss, We too lost our beloved blue and white boy Stimpy! He was show quality but neutered cause we just wanted his unique unconditional love!! His heart murmur went undetected until we found him in respiratory distress At age 5 we lost him. HCM. Was so sad so quick and so unexpected!!! Now his runt of the litter Brother Ren (yes we named our boys Ren & Stimpy) Is lost!! He wonders about the house crying all night. I hope I can soon find a play mate for Ren!! He needs a buddy!!
I understand how easy it is to fall in love with this breed!! They are truly awesome in every way!! I would have a house over run by sphynx if It was at all possible!!!!!
Stay in touch, I have learned so much here!!! This forum is the best Ive come across!! Good luck!!!

firehillqueen

Banned
Does anyone have advice on how I should take care of Tosca. She is VERY overweight. The person I adopted her from said her original owner was a model who left her alone too often and Tosca became a stress eater from loneliness. She has been on senior weight control Eukanuba. But she will knock you down for cheese. I am trying not to let her have treats. But she begs the husband. I caught him sharing his turkey sandwich with her earlier today. Should I consult my vet about her weight? As you can see from her photo on my avatar that she is obese. The photo hides a lot of her... um... rear.:Dizzy:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm very sorry to hear about your losses:Cry: I think that you'll really like it here at the Lair--everyone here adores their babies so much and there's so much knowledge here. Plus, some very funny anecdotes from time to time lol
A big welcome to you and Tosca!!

Brooke

Banned
Does anyone have advice on how I should take care of Tosca. She is VERY overweight. The person I adopted her from said her original owner was a model who left her alone too often and Tosca became a stress eater from loneliness. She has been on senior weight control Eukanuba. But she will knock you down for cheese. I am trying not to let her have treats. But she begs the husband. I caught him sharing his turkey sandwich with her earlier today. Should I consult my vet about her weight? As you can see from her photo on my avatar that she is obese. The photo hides a lot of her... um... rear.:Dizzy:

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Such a sad story about Tosca - I'm glad you have her now and will give her the happy life she deserves! Yes, absolutely consult your vet about her weight. She'll need to be put on a healthy diet plan and lose the weight slowly. Losing weight too suddenly is very dangerous for a cat. Not only that, but as she ages, extra weight can add complications for things like arthritis. Honestly, I would expect it could take several months to a year for her at her current size to get down to the correct healthy weight - safely! Right now, do you free feed her (meaning, is food left out all day) or do you measure out her portions each day?

Also, how active is she? She'll benefit greatly by increasing her activity level. Planned exercise (10 minutes, 3 times a day) with an interactive cat toy to get her heart rate up. Even doing something as simple as putting her food dishes up on a higher surface (a chair or counter) so that she has to jump up to eat will add a little bit of exercise for her.

Best of luck! She's very lucky to have you.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello and Welcome!! I am sorry to hear about your other sphynx cats. I am always afraid that someone will let my Lemmy out!! I am glad that you now have a new girl. Thanks for giving her a wonderful home with proper attention!!

firehillqueen

Banned
I am so lucky to find this wonderful site. Thanks to the administrator who had the foresight to put a link up on facebook. The people here have been so welcoming and helpful. I feel this is the best place to turn to for nonjudgmental advice, information, friendship, and comfort.

We have been working on getting Tosca to move around a bit more. ( Du was trained to walk on leash ) When we first brought her home she wouldn't even jump up on the couch. Now she will follow us around and has taken to jumping up on the couch and chairs. I understand she is between nine and ten years old. I do worry about arthritis in her joints. I was told she is use to having her food dish filled with dry food and left down for her to graze in. I will try getting her on a schedule where she doesn't eat all the time. She will scream and cry if the bowl isn't filled to the top. She is a very odd little creature. I am hoping she will be accepting of the new kitten when I bring her home. Right now she is tolerant of the chihuahuas as long as she has the middle of her daddy's lap.

tessblack

Banned
Welcome, sorry to hear about your kitties. Hope you can get her weight off. This is a great site for caring people and lots of info.

Where in Texas are you?

Last edited:
Yay, another Texan! I'm in Waco and use the CFA Gulfshore website to look for shows to attend. CFA Gulfshore Region 3. There is one coming up in Mesquite April 17-18, and it's a BIG show. 450 cat limit! Phew!

I remember Tosca! I helped take care of her when I was paying off Baron(house work at the breeder's house). She's such a sweetheart, even if she always did have a dirty hiney, hehe. You should have seen her when she arrived... wow.. She was just morbidly obese and had sores on her belly in between her legs because she was so fat. After losing a bit of weight, that finally resolved and she looked great. I'm so glad I get to continue seeing pictures of her progress.

firehillqueen

Banned
Wow, how wonderful to find someone who knows Tosca. She is such a sweetie, but she is too fat to clean herself properly. She doesn't mind bathing or wiping down. She needs all the help she can get. She at least doesn't have any more sores at least. I have trouble imagining her fatter than she is now.

Thank you for the link for Cat Shows. I wish I could go to the show in Mesquite in April, but I am headed out to New Orleans that weekend. Terrible luck because I really want to start attending shows to get the feeling of them. I use to show Arabian horses, then later, Miniature horses. I love the idea of showing cats, at least I wont have to run them around the arena like horses. ( laugh )

I live just south of Fort Worth.

Back