Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi from CT :)

peachfuzz

Lairian
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say a proper hello, and thanks for being such an informative resource on Sphynx cats! I'm falling in love with these little kitties, but trying to hold back until I know for sure my husband can handle them. I'm hoping that we can bring home a Sphynx of our very own in the next year or so. I'm in the research stage of the game at the moment. My husband is allergic to cat saliva (asthma) but he had a cat when he was young that was his best buddy before he developed allergies (rescue kitty; Russian Blue or Russian Blue mix) and really really wants another cat. (FYI the kitty was family so he stayed of course. kitty just couldn't sleep by his head once they figured out the cause of the asthma) So he's willing to take the allergy shots and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Sphynx will be a good match for us.

I joined up to learn more about this adorable and unique breed and also to see there are any breeder recommendations nearby me (NY, NJ, MA, PA preferably so we are in driving distance)

Also if anyone knows of any meets or shows in any of those states that we could go to so he can get to see how he fairs with them, I'd be super grateful!

Thanks so much:cat:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@peachfuzz , welcome! Enjoy the forums! I am sure someone will PM with breeder recommendations-
We can't name on the threads so be sure to check your conversations link for messages

Great idea to do a lot of research! You found the place :)

Several members have experience with allergies and I am sure they will chime in

peachfuzz

Lairian
@Yoda mom: thank you so much for the warm welcome! And I'm such a research buff so believe you me your advice will be followed, lol! that is too adorable that your baby is named Yoda, my husband is serious Star Wars fan I'm going to have to tell him there's a Sphynx named Yoda, he'll love that!

peachfuzz

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow: thanks so much for your info! I just responded:)

@admin: thank you kindly! They say pets are like their people and I have to say if Sphynx are as warm and friendly in person as you all seem to be I am going to fall hard for these little babies.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @peachfuzz and welcome to sphynxlair! I like the name you use...peachfuzz, the perfect name for a sphynx owner in future.
I hope your husband can handle a sphynx. I'm allergic myself and I can handle my two sphynx very well (with some rules to follow of course).

Good luck with your decision!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Toa and Ross thanks so much! We're going to go to our first cat show in a couple of weeks, so hopefully we can meet our first Sphynx in person. Probably not the best test for the husband since many other cats will be there but it's a start.

That's a good start! if all the other cats are in their carriers and they are just arrived it probably still possible to test if your husband reacts on the sphynx. Good luck, I'll cross my fingers for no sneezing, iching or breathing problems!

Back