Hi I am a new Owner with lots of questions | Sphynxlair

Hi I am a new Owner with lots of questions

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by Lisa Dobby, May 9, 2010.

1. Lisa Dobby

Lisa DobbyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1.00
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi my name is Lisa... I just recently got a Sphynx kitten from a friend of the family who breeds them. My little fellow was injured when he was only 4 days old. His cornea was scratched by a litter mate. Poor guy is only just over 4 months old and has had 4 surgeries if you include his neuter. His eye was removed 2 weeks ago after trying everything we could to try and save it. So I have a one eyed no furred friend. I don;t really mind that he has only one eye. It doesn`t make a difference to me because he is still a really cool cat. The vet did a very good job on him and the incession is healing very neatly. I have never been a cat lover. Actually haven`t really had a cat for over 20 years but this guy is really something. I cannot believe how affectionate he is. Very differenent from other cats I have been exposed to over the years! I mean wow he is just so personable. He seems more dog like in character than cat like. He even like to play fetch. He is so loving with my 2 chihuahuas. Just thought I would drop in and see if anyone has any special tips for brands of food... Type of soap to use when bathing him... Right now I have him on Science diet which is what my breeder friend suggested... But I want to know what the best is for these guys... Also I have been using Johnson`s liquid no tear baby soap to bathe him. Is that good for his skin. Also he likes to spend lots of time sunbathing in the window. Do I have to worry about skin cancer. Should he be wearing sunscreen... Haven`t figured out how to upload a picture to share with you quite yet. My kitten is black. His skin is very dark. He has absolutely no hair except a bit on his mussle and some on the backs of his ears. A tiny little bit on his tale as well. He has a very vivid green eye.

2. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $276,944.19
    Ratings:
    +17,636
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hi Lisa Dobby and welcome to Sphynxlair! We are glad you found us!:Laugh: We use Science diet and are very happy with it. We also use baby shampoo which is fine. As far as sunscreen i copied a piece of another thread here from Sphynxlair about this subject hope it helps, There is a search bar at the top of the forum that you can search all of your questions as well for more answers:
    As of now there is not a sunscreen for cats but it is in the works from what I have read with hopes to be available in the next year.
    You can use sunblock on ears nose, top of head. places that can not be licked or you can find a zinc free sunblock.
    I found Solar Rx Sunblock and they say it is safe for cats but I don't know where the info came from? ( I am guessing their marketing dept.)

I have used regular baby sunblock on ours and find that the spray soaks in much faster then the lotion so that is better because of the licking.
    At first I used nothing I never thought about it, and neither of our sphynx burned but Leo gets a yucky rash from the sun.
    I remember one of our members if I am correct it was Ruthart and she had found a sphynx in her yard who was very badly sun burned. She was not able to find his owner but as nursed him back to health and he is hers now.

3. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,076.92
    Ratings:
    +12,607
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Welcome to Sphynx Lair--it's a place full of friendly, knowledgeable folks who are very giving and kind. Your boy sounds handsome--can't wait for you to figure out how to do the pics of him! He's lucky to have a good mommy to take care of his eye needs and I'm sure he will pay you back for all your kindness to him by loving you like crazy for lots of years to come. We are all so much in love with our babies too! Enjoy the site and welcome to our little community.

4. TanyaT

TanyaTV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $318.00
    Ratings:
    +626
    Welcome to the lair!! Everyone on here is great!! I cant wait to see pictures and hear more!!

5. lemmysmommy

lemmysmommySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $350.00
    Ratings:
    +432
    Hello and Welcome!! I personally use Innova dry food. I also use J and J baby shampoo. Can't wait to see pictures!!

6. tessblack

tessblackBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $3.00
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Hello and welcome. Can't wait to see pics of you baby. I just got mine in september and this place helped me learn a lot. I had no idea about HCM and needing to scan them, foods, etc.

I feed mine Blue Buffalo wilderness and since I have changed them they have no more stinky farts and there poops are nice and firm. I also tried some of there new Salmon food and I use it as treats, they just love it. So I feel better about giving them treats now that it is actually good for them.

I think you just have to try different foods. My vet told me that most are pretty good but to stay away from the ones with grain in the first 3 ingredients as well as any kind of meat-by-product.

Enjoy your new baby and you can find most answers to any question here.

7. gizmo6370

gizmo6370Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $8.00
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hi and welcome :Wink:

I feed my cats Acana & Orijen.....and Almo Nature & Schesir for canned food :Smile:

8. maxtmill

maxtmillSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $598.22
    Ratings:
    +201
    Hi Lisa & welcome! I, too, am new to the forum. I sound just like you - I have never been a real cat lover (I am a passionate DOG LOVER!!!), but just in the past year, I have gotten 3 Ragdoll cats & recently got my first Sphynx, & I am in love! :BigSmile:My Sphynx is a beautiful tortie girl named Nefertiti, & she is totally bald except for some fuzz on her nose between her eyes. She is so affectionate & acts like a dog. I have never cared for "prissy" cats who just sit there & act aloof.:ThumbsDown:

9. dreaming_in_colour

dreaming_in_colourBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $12.00
    Ratings:
    +891
    Welcome Lisa and your little one-eyed guy! What a lucky boy he is to have a mommy that takes such good care of him! I can't wait to see pictures!

I currently feed Gable Felidae. I had tried him on Wellness Core but he didn't like it. I want something with more protein, so I am going to try EVO or Taste of the Wild.

I had been using J & J shampoo but poor Gable is such a dirty boy. He would be greasy again the very next day. I am going to uses coconut oil on him today before his bath and I bought coconut oil shampoo for cats with sensitive skin that I am going to try.

Again, welcome! As a new Sphynx owner myself I am sure you will love it here and learn so much from the great people here.

Kris

10. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,877
    Welcome to the Lair! I use J&J baby shampoo as well and I feed Blue Wilderness Duck or Chicken. I can't wait to see pics of your new baby!

11. holly_savage

holly_savageBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $5.00
    Ratings:
    +649
    Welcome to the Lair Lisa, hope you get all the answers you might need...and there will be extras too! lol

As to food and wash, we use J&J Shampoo or body wash and I feed her NOW! Grain free kibble and wet (if she'll eat it which is only sometimes) or Fancy Feast Beef slices or raw turkey, chicken, hearts & gizzards (she LOVES those)

12. Mug-ys mumma

Mug-ys mummaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $381.99
    Ratings:
    +585
    Hi and welcome!

Your baby sounds lovely, can't wait to see pictures!

X

13. Marinka

MarinkaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,887.30
    Ratings:
    +105
    Hello and welcome! I don't have Sphynx yet, but Ive been here for a while and its a great place to go for an advice or chit chat or share photos of your hairless friends :D cant wait to see photos!
    You can put your photos on photobucket.com, make an account there its very easy and then ones you upload photos there you will have URL code to post in here. Good luck!

14. klreese

klreeseV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $341.00
    Ratings:
    +717
    congrats on your new kitty. Thank you for being such a blessing to your baby! putting the time and money into an animal that is so young isn't always easy (for some people). You're doing the right thing by helping this little guy! in my opinion- naked kitties have so much more personality then any other animal i have ever known. i once saw an article that said Sphynx are a combination personality type of cats, dogs, monkey and humans! agreed! lol