Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi, my name is Regina, and I am new to this wonderful group

I saw a sphinx cat on a book when I was 11 years old. Ever since then, it has been onea of my dreams to have one. I love cats and grew up with them. I had a beautiful Snowshoe girl named Mu who I got when I was in high school and went away to College with me. She died of old age at 20. Then I got married, had my human babies and forgot about pets for a while, until I saw and ad in Craig's List of all places: s young couple was giving their Sphynx in adoption for a small fee. They said the cat was tooo hyper and their dogs did not get along with him. I negged my husband to let me go see him. He loves cats but did not like the idea of a bald cat "I might as well go out and get you a 'possum" he used to joke with me. But it was our anniversary and I got to choose my present. When I got to this couple's house I almost expected something to go wrong: maybe the cat was too agressive or would not like me. Instead, I found a bundle of love desperate for attention. He won me over by touching his nose to mine and I told the man I would pick him up the next day. When I left I could hear loud meaows and a door closing. Next day I arrived a little sooner than planned. The guy actually opened the laundry room's door and let the cat out, explaining they had to keep him there because he was so hyper and mischevious. Actually, it was the other way around, the cat was hyper because he was terrified of being locked in the laundry room. I took the cat with me, plus some food yhat he had left and a harness with no lead. He did give me his TICA registration and his medical records. When I got home I noticed he smelled yeasty and his eye discharge was too much, even for a Sphynx. We took him to the vet and 200 dollars later we were told he had a veru bad ear and eye infection, plus a yeasy infection on his skin. He recommended Malaseb shampoo, which did wonders for his skin, and both an eye ointment and antibiotic twice a day. He was 9 months then. Now he is a beautiful 13 month guy who weighs 14 pounds. A magnificent, elegant Sphynx, our baby.

Mink came later from a breeder who wanted to use her for producing litters, but Mink, who weighs only 6 pounds, would not allow any stud to get near her, and when she finally got pregnant she had to have a cesarean and lost one of her babies. By the time we got her she was full of fresh scratches and scars. I felt bad for her but my husband said NO. So the breeder said, "if its a question of money, just take her". We did, although my husband, who by this time had become very attached to Gerund, was not very happy. Mink bled from her vagina twice, she bed enough to have to wear doll-sized diapers. After that, she has not bled again and has just come into her first heat since we got her. Poor Gerund who was spayed whe he was very young tries to mount her but he really does not have the know-how, so he ends up standinn on her rump doing a weird little dance while poor Mink tries to cooperate lifting her rump to no avail, she ends up looking like a cat rug, legs spread open, flat on the floor while my big oaf of a cat does his intepretation of making whoopie.

Well, I think I went on too much about my two babies, I have uploaded some pictures, the album is called gerandminksmommy.

Nice to meet you everyone.

Oh, by the way, I have attached two pics of my babies and one of me :) we live in Boynton Beach, FL

Regina, gerandminksmommy

Attachments

• minkgera1.jpg
    minkgera1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 25
  • kittylove1.jpg
    kittylove1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • rizosa.jpg
    rizosa.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 24

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Regina, you know me from Yahoo sphynx rescue and we exchanged emails a couple of times (I'm Piglet's mom). So glad to see that you, Gerund, and Mink made it here to Sphynx Lair! You will find this group here to be much friendlier and accepting than the Yahoo sphynx rescue people! :BigSmile: Welcome to the Lair...it's a good place to be! :ThumbsUp:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Regina nice to meet you and welcome to Sphynxlair! What a great story! I hope you enjoy the site!!:Laugh:

Back