Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi! Sphynx stool question...

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
My two sphynx I purchased from the same breeder their stools are both soft. Ive tried several different diets, incorporating them slowly of course. It all seems the same. Ive also tried three different kinds of litter, thinking that could be the issue as well. My friend's sphynx stools are like tootsie rolls, firm and is using the same dry and wet as I am now. Does anyone have any insight as to what the issue might be? Giardia? Normal?

Sphynx4sure

Lairian
Ohhh, ok. If only one had it, I would suspect food allergy, but since both have it, I suspect that they are passing around a stomach bug like Giardia. They will pass it around from their litter box and water dishes to each other . They need a full work up from the vet asap, there's no way around it. Diarrhea dehydrates them really quickly, and other medical issues may arise. Keep us posted!

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would have them checked for Giardia also. Is the poo very stinky? That's also a sign of Giardia. After checking with vet for Giardia try pumpkin in their diet. Sometimes the test for Giardia will come back negative when it's actually positive.

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
Ohhh, ok. If only one had it, I would suspect food allergy, but since both have it, I suspect that they are passing around a stomach bug like Giardia. They will pass it around from their litter box and water dishes to each other . They need a full work up from the vet asap, there's no way around it. Diarrhea dehydrates them really quickly, and other medical issues may arise. Keep us posted!
Wow. Ok I knew there was something up
oh wow. I will absolutely take them now. I will have them all screened and treated immediately. They have a running fountain but I have noticed that they are drinking a lot more water. Thank you for the help I will keep you posted.

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
I would have them checked for Giardia also. Is the poo very stinky? That's also a sign of Giardia. After checking with vet for Giardia try pumpkin in their diet. Sometimes the test for Giardia will come back negative when it's actually positive.
It is very stinky. I've tried pumpkin to help but it all just seems to come out the same. I'm going to the vet ASAP. Thank you so much for the information

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My two sphynx I purchased from the same breeder their stools are both soft. Ive tried several different diets, incorporating them slowly of course. It all seems the same. Ive also tried three different kinds of litter, thinking that could be the issue as well. My friend's sphynx stools are like tootsie rolls, firm and is using the same dry and wet as I am now. Does anyone have any insight as to what the issue might be? Giardia? Normal?
Be sure to read this thread - if in fact it is Giardia, very important tips in the thread to stop recontamination - Giardia

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Sphynxbergmeow We have had the same issues with our two girls since bringing them home.

Check out my post called "New Sphynx Parents!"

It talks about the tests, diets and such that we have tried and where we are now.

I hope it helps. I know that runny kitties are exhausting.
Let me know if you have any questions or if there is any information I can add to help.

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
@Sphynxbergmeow We have had the same issues with our two girls since bringing them home.

It talks about the tests, diets and such that we have tried and where we are now.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is any information I can add to help.
Thank you so much. There should be a handbook involved with being a new sphynx mom. I'm finding things out as I go. I had no idea about a lot of things. Thank you

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian

thank you so much! I will let you know. I thought that's almost how their stools were at first because it got a little better as I changed their diet and started incorporating raw as well but tomorrow they are getting treated and stools tested as well. :)

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
Gala and royal both have giardia. I am treating with forti flora and the antibiotic via liquid. Thanks for all of the input. I hope I can kick this giardia out!

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
They hate their antibiotics! but don't mind the forth flora in their food. I need 6857657565 arms! they are doing ok so far. Their stools get retested after this week. Hoping for an all clear stool.

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Sphynxbergmeow I am so sorry to hear their diagnosis, but it is good that you know what is going on.
When we were giving our girls their antibiotics we would use a syringe and shoot it into the side of their mouth, or one of them we were able to mix with a little of their wet food and just watch them eat it all (separately of course). Our girls were also calm enough to wrap up in a blanket and cuddle like a baby and give the meds while we were holding them.

Hope they recover soon!

Sphynxbergmeow

Lairian
@Sphynxbergmeow I am so sorry to hear their diagnosis, but it is good that you know what is going on.
When we were giving our girls their antibiotics we would use a syringe and shoot it into the side of their mouth, or one of them we were able to mix with a little of their wet food and just watch them eat it all (separately of course). Our girls were also calm enough to wrap up in a blanket and cuddle like a baby and give the meds while we were holding them.

Hope they recover soon!
I give my girls and my chihuahua. Since I am a litttttttle overprotective.. Them all their antis before I go to work. They are both in heat so they're a little fiesty. I feel as if I should have started them on them at night when they are alep and snuggley and least expect it. It's super bitter (what my vet told me) ahhhhh! So they hate it. But I'm trying my best:( thank you for the insight though:) if it isn't clear next time I will try what you have! Thanks so much :):)

Back