Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi, This is my first time on SL!

Susan08

Lairian
Hello!

I am a big animal lover with three dogs and two cats of my own. I also volunteer at our local shelter and have cared for dozens of cats over the years. My daughter, also a huge animal lover, is obsessed with Sphynx Cats! I have met a number of Sphynx cats and am still on the fence as to whether to add one to the family. A friend of mine suggested I join this forum to learn more about the breed.

The truth is, I am used to a furry friend to cuddle with. My twenty year Persian passed away last year and I am looking for a new best friend. My other two cats are well into their teens, and though I am sure they are going to live for another decade, some say this may not be the case.

My pets are my family and I take my responsibilities and relationships with them seriously. Afterall, they will be in my life for decades!

I have never considered a Sphynx before, but am told how wonderful they are. I have read a lot about them and they seem to have wonderful personalities. I came to this forum to hear about other's first time experiences with Sphynx's. I have a lot of experience with "furry friends" but none with hairless ones.

I loved my Persian boy, but I am not 20 anymore, and think introducing a Persian to my life at this point may be more work than I am up to. Not that I'm old, but Persian's require a lot of grooming in return for their love!

So, if you would be so kind to tell me your transition experience from hair to hairless I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
I had never touched a sphynx before I got Cleo.
I liked her so much that I now have 3 sphynx.
Sphynx do require alot of work.
They must be bathed and the claws ears and eyes must be cleaned.
They leave oil marks all over the place.
Even Persian breeders think I am crazy for showing sphynx.
They are like no other breeder of cat.
They are like dogs in a way and love people.
When I got Cleo I was told she would come right to me purring and she did.
What else would you like to know?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think most of us started with really furry animals- or none at all, for those with allergies :)

I love the Sphynx's personality. That, to me, is more unique then their lack of fur. They are so funny and outgoing- just very personable cats. They are also easy to integrate into a household- they simply seem to form a niche all their own and become a part of the family.

Good luck on your decision!

J

Jinxlover

I love my Sphynx, she is the first cat I have ever had. She is a love bug and is always on my lap for love. I don't think they are so much work, yes they do have to have a bath every week or so but that takes me about 5 mins. I have a friend with a Persian and she spends hours brushing that cat.. I would never do it NEVER! So I guess It's in the eye if the beholder.

Give a Sphynx a shot, you will never regret it:ThumbsUp:.

Inferno12

Banned
I had never touched a Sphynx either until I got my first. I have always had furry cats all my life and now that I have a Sphynx, I can imagine my life without one :Smile::Smile:

They do leave oily spots on everything. My spare room has white blankets and sheets. You can tell where Johnnys favorite spots are :Surprise::Surprise: Just look for the brown spot! It can be nasty but its worth it and I dont think the once a week bathing is too much.

I have a long haired cat too and the fur everywhere is soooo annoying :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynxlair Susa! I am sure that you will learn and soon fall in love with all the sphynx have. I don't own a Sphynx myself yet, but can not wait for the day that I do get to add one to my family.

Sphynx's are beautiful, with magical personalities.
People on this site are wonderful, so I'm sure that you will be able to find tons of advice, especially from those who are lucky enough to own a sphynx.
Hope to see you around the site!

ranalashae

Banned
Hello and welcome! I am also fairly new to this site, and I got my first sphynx, Nala a few months ago. In fact, she will be one year old tomorrow! :BigSmile:

I already cannot remember what it's like without her! I love her so much and although I am only nineteen, and she is kind of a big responsibility (grooming products, food/litter, toys, vet bills... it all adds up!) I would not trade her for anything!

A lot of sphynx don't mind the bathing, unlike other cats. Their nails do need to be wiped off individually, I just do that after her bath. As for the oil marks on furniture, I don't really have a problem with that. Nala has her own blankets, which is good for me because she can get all of HER blankets dirty and not mine! The ears and eyes also need to be kept clean! I think you would fall in love with a sphynx, just all of us have, but don't get one thinking they are low maintenance! Definitely no the case, but totally worth it!

They are unlike any other cat I (or anyone else I know) have ever met! I consider Nala to be part dog, part two year old. hahaha:BigSmile:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Susan08 and welcome to Sphynxlair! Good luck in your decision for a Sphynx cat. Yes, the Sphynx are a great choice, I think their personalities are like no other. They do require a weekly bath, ear cleaning and nail cleaning and clipping. Here is some good info for the new owner Sphynx Cat Owner Help Center

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome!! I had a furry cat growing up but he was never my responsibility. I developed allergies & when I moved out on my own, got sphynx. Sorry, not much help in comparing their care but you will LOVE this breed. There are trade-offs. Sure, we have to bathe our kitties, but we don't have to comb them. Yes, we clean their ears but we don't deal with hairballs (unless they're grooming another cat)....

A big welcome to this site. You can learn almost anything we want to know about the breed here and we're all friendly:BigSmile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair Susan08. I think you will find this is one of the most informative and friendliest forums around.

At one time I owned 3 Sphynx boys over the course of 17 years. The last boy passed in 2008 so I have been Sphynx-less for nearly 2 years. Although I own other pets including DSH cats and Labs, nothing has ever come close to the personality of the Sphynx as a breed in general. Each of my boys had distinct personalities, but all were a joy...interactive, tolerant, and loving to everyone they met.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, from Persian to Sphynx. One extreme to the other. I will guarantee you will not be disappointed if you decide to go with a sphynx.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!!! You'll love it here and I'd like to congratulate you in taking the first step into your Sphynx addiction! lol Seriously, Snuffie has brought so much sunshine into my life and its hard to recall the days I didn't have her. About 12 years ago I had a Himalayan that I rescued from the local shelter and that cat was the greatest ever. So cuddley, I sit and watch tv and he would sit in my lap while I groomed him for hours. You probably experienced something similar with your Persian. I know have a Sphynx and she does require a weekly bath and ear, nails and eye cleaning but its not hard for me to fit into my day at all. I don't have a issue with Snuffie leaving oil spots around the house as she does have a itty bit of down fur on her so she feels like a warm peach (sorry alexis,,lol). Snuffie is very loving, loves to cuddle, sleeps under the covers with me, learned how to fetch now and demands it every morning at 7am now, lol, loves strangers and will introduce herself if I don't introduce her. She is something else..Ive never in my life had a cat with as much personality as Snuffie. Close but not quite! Goodluck for when you decide to start searching and again, welcome to the best place we know!!!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susan08, welcome to the Lair. You're going to love it here and this is the best place in the world to learn about sphynx.

I bred and showed Maine Coons from the early 80's to the mid 90's, so I'm very aware of the long-hair grooming requirements. And all the hair left around the house! The Maine Coons are also dog-like in that they enjoy playing fetch and learning tricks, but they aren't in-your-face lap kitties like Sphynx.

I got my first Sphynx in early '02 and got my second one late that year. I've been completely in love with them ever since. When I lost my last MC in 2006 I swore I'd never have any cat but a sphynx ever again. I know that sounds mean, but the sphynx have everything I want from an animal companion and no other breed of cat comes close imho.

Sphynx aren't hard to keep clean. Once a week I just get in the bathtub and sit her on my lap, then wash her with Johnson's Baby Wash. Then plunk her in the water to rinse, then dry her off. Takes all of 5 minutes. Then I drain the water and get my shower. It works out great, though if I was a man I might have second thoughts about sitting one in my lap for a bath lol.

Sphynx are very social. They always want to be with a human or another kitty. They aren't a cat for someone who wants to have a cat in the house to pet now and then, because they demand lots of attention and interaction. They're perfect for someone who wants to have an intense relationship with their pet.

Good luck and nice to meet you. :)

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there! Sphynx are great fun and very commical! They will definately demand your attention and keep you amuzed. They like a lot of attention! I have one furry cat and one sphynx. My furry cat (a bengal) is a lot less work that my sphynx. My sphynx (Mo) is VERY vocal and demanding but I love him to bits! Thats just him!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
To me it is like having leather seats, you just don't want to go back to cloth seats. I have owned abbyssinians, siamese, american shorthairs, bengal even a female black-maned African lioness and can not count the haired cats I have had. Here are the special things I like about the Sphynx breed: no hair on your lips after kisses, get ready to be fully amused and loved, super soft to the touch and addictive petting can occur. Each one of my Sphynx cats had their unique personality, Cleo used to follow me around and would jump up and slap my but with her paw letting me know she wanted to play. Cleo even slapped a rooster sending it fleeing for it's life and she beat up a dog, all at the tender age of 8 month old. Goodie girl was always after the men and at age three she was still a playful kitten and loved to visit the nursing homes as a therapy cat (even some thought she was a dog). Loved to sleep with me ALL the time. Kika was crazy about cat nip, loved his morning tears around the house and would even give me a human-like kiss on the lips. He had a bra fetish and would drag any bra he found around the house. It IS TRUE - they have HUGE personalities. The upkeep never bothers me.

Back