Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

High Fiber Food

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
I took Bellatrix to the vet because she has been dragging her butt across the floor after going poo. The vet said her glands felt full and asked what her stools were typically like. She very rarely has a hard poo. They're almost always somewhat soft, so she suggested putting her in a diet that is higher in fiber. Are there foods that are high in protein as well as high in fiber? She's on Natures Variety right now and it has the dehydrated raw bits in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried the refrigerated foods that petsmart and petco sell?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Did the Vet not express her glands?
Some cats have to have this done often.
Nature's Variety, is high protein. Do you feed canned food too?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NiceGirlsFakeIt , I switched Macie to Fromm Gamebird recipe and no poo issues
I buy it online - not sold in stores typically
Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain-Free Game Bird Recipe Dry Cat Food
No recalls either .. Made a world of difference for my Macie
They have a buy 12/1 free program too - just call when you defini sh tour 12th and they send it for free.
If not satisfied with any food or product call them they have 100% satisfaction guarantee
Here is a link to Fromm site with their numbers

Game Bird Recipe

I have not tried thr kitties with the refrigerated food .
Always check recall histories too

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'll be really honest none of my cat's have ever done well on NV.
I have went back to natural balance limited ingredients duck and pea. Everyone likes it and has good poos.
Did the vet express her anal glands? Some pets need to have them emptied from time to time. I encourage you to get educated on anal glands. If she ever has a really bad problem with them the smell will never leave your memory.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Evo is a very high protein food. NV is too. I feed raw so I'm not familiar with feeding either but, they both are know from being good dry foods. I agree about the glands needing to be expressed possibly. I know I have a cat who needs it occasionally. Also, cats can get infections in their anal glands. These would be good things to bring up to your vet.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@NiceGirlsFakeIt Try a tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin mixed in with the wet food every day. Not pumpkin pie filling, just purée pumpkin. It has been known to help with many. It is high in fiber and might be an easy fix. Perhaps try it a few days to see. .

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You could definitely use either a little bit of pumpkin or Powdered psyllium husk In the food (About 1/4 teaspoon once per day or a couple times a day as needed). Pumpkin seems to be this magical thing that helps both soft stools and really hard stools. Psyllium husk firms up poop quite nicely.

I had Max on psyllium husk through his kitten years, and then magically his poop was perfect and I no longer use the psyllium husk. Go figure.

Fingers crossed all goes well for you.