Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
hi everyone , when Bagins as finished eating he paws around his bowl , like he is covering it ( like if he was covering his wee wee or poop )
Do you think in his mind he is hiding what bit he leaves until later ?
He was skin and bone when he arrived !
My vet said it was possible he was the smallest in the litter , and could not get to his biological as quickly as his siblings
Cleo does the same when drinking from the water fountain. But not with her food
I wish I knew what was in his little mind , because I would just say to him don’t worry we have plenty more
He is now panned out in bed after eating his supper
I am going to try an early night it’s now 10:30pm uk time I am shattered
Good night all
Night night sleep tight don’t let the bed bugs bite ah ha
The rubbish that flashes into your head ah ha ha or is that just me ???
Xxxx❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sheldon13

Staff member
Aww how sweet. Maybe? It sounds logical to me. Maybe the behavior will fade after many times of having plenty to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Short answer is yes, he is hiding it. I see this a lot in feral cats ( I do volunteer work with a local cat rescue) and with cats that have experienced scarcity of resources. Burying food in the wild not only preserves it for later but also will keep larger predators from knowing about the presence of smaller carnivores.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
hi everyone , when Bagins as finished eating he paws around his bowl , like he is covering it ( like if he was covering his wee wee or poop )
Do you think in his mind he is hiding what bit he leaves until later ?
He was skin and bone when he arrived !
My vet said it was possible he was the smallest in the litter , and could not get to his biological as quickly as his siblings
Cleo does the same when drinking from the water fountain. But not with her food
I wish I knew what was in his little mind , because I would just say to him don’t worry we have plenty more
He is now panned out in bed after eating his supper
I am going to try an early night it’s now 10:30pm uk time I am shattered
Good night all
Night night sleep tight don’t let the bed bugs bite ah ha
The rubbish that flashes into your head ah ha ha or is that just me ???
Xxxx❤️❤️❤️❤️

I always thought this was normal! My little guy does it absolutely every time he eats, and he empties the bowl! He's always scratching the carpet thinking he is covering the bowl, I find it the cutest thing! Since I feed him raw I rinse out the little ziplock baggies in the bathroom sink before tossing it in the garbage, now every time I turn around there Yoda is jumping onto the counter and he's doing the same thing in the sink! Pawing trying to cover the scent of his food down the drain :ROFLMAO: And he was the biggest one in his litter so I don't believe food was hard to come by my little hippo!

RoseEllen

Lairian
Bruce was also the biggest in the litter and he does it every time he finishes eating. I always assumed in his mind he is burying the food (or empty bowl) haha. It’s really cute❤️

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for all the replies , I think we are all dotting mothers like oh how cute ! Come see what he /she is doing now lol I know I fuss over Cleo & Bagins as I did our children ah
They all have their own little personalities but share some traits as I guess we two legged ones do
Again thanks
Hugs
From us ❤️❤️❤️Xxx

smgarcia

Lairian
I have heard that they do this because in the wild, a potent smell would attract other predators as well as other cats looking for their food. My Archie does that when he is done! So he isn’t hiding food for later, rather trying to cover the smell up so others don’t come looking! Just what I have heard:)

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have heard that they do this because in the wild, a potent smell would attract other predators as well as other cats looking for their food. My Archie does that when he is done! So he isn’t hiding food for later, rather trying to cover the smell up so others don’t come looking! Just what I have heard:)
Hi there blinking Cleo started doing it ah ha maybe they hiding it from each other now ah
Xxxx❤️❤️❤️❤️

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Y
You made a really good point there which really is logical also
Cleo now started doing it and I think she is hiding her food from him because he is a greed boy
Xxx❤️❤️❤️