Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

His Tail

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gulliver's tail looks all bitten up, I think he chews on it, but does not seem to do it when I'm looking, the rest of his skin is fine... Is this normal?? He's got scabs all over it!!!

Chadwick likes to chew on his toenails, but he pretty much leaves his tail alone. BTW, Gulliver looks an awful lot like Chad!

Gulliver's tail looks all bitten up, I think he chews on it, but does not seem to do it when I'm looking, the rest of his skin is fine... Is this normal?? He's got scabs all over it!!!
A lot of our sphynxes like to play with their tails or suck on them, but if he's chewing on it to the point of giving himself scabs and damaging his skin, then no, that's not normal.

Are you sure the scabs are from chewing? What do they look like? Are they small, like bumps? Is there any bleeding? Any chance you can get a photo? Where on his tail are the scabs?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
LOL! I wish I would have seen your post sooner. I had just posted about George's tail biting problem.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
A lot of our sphynxes like to play with their tails or suck on them, but if he's chewing on it to the point of giving himself scabs and damaging his skin, then no, that's not normal.

Are you sure the scabs are from chewing? What do they look like? Are they small, like bumps? Is there any bleeding? Any chance you can get a photo? Where on his tail are the scabs?
He's getting fixed today, but I will post pics this week, it looks like flat scabs or red rash in some spots, but no bleeding, and he doesn't seem to notice it or mess with his tail more than I would expect him too... I haven't seen him chewing on his tail much, just chasing and grabbing, so really I'm not sure where it's coming from... The rest of him is fine...

Also, do they all have hair all over their tail, his looks like a rat tail, with hair on it, not like the hairy cats, but definitely more than on the rest of his body

He's getting fixed today, but I will post pics this week, it looks like flat scabs or red rash in some spots, but no bleeding, and he doesn't seem to notice it or mess with his tail more than I would expect him too... I haven't seen him chewing on his tail much, just chasing and grabbing, so really I'm not sure where it's coming from... The rest of him is fine...

Also, do they all have hair all over their tail, his looks like a rat tail, with hair on it, not like the hairy cats, but definitely more than on the rest of his body
Good luck to Gulliver today! Maybe when you drop him off, you could mention to them to have the doc look at his tail, too, just to see if it looks like something he should be treated for. If he really is just chewing his tail to the point of giving himself scabs, they'll have some kind of bitter spray you can put on it to keep him from doing that. He could end up giving himself ugly scars or it could get infected. But, maybe there could be some other underlying cause that's making his tail itchy...the vet may want to do a skin scraping.

As for the hair, they don't all have hair on their tails,but it's fairly common. 3 of mine have completely bald tails, and Walter's tail is almost completely covered in short curly fur. Walter is the fuzziest of my four guys. He's also got hair on his feet all the way up to his ankles and a lot of fuzz on his face. My friends joke that he isn't really a sphynx, but he wants to live with me so he sneaks in the bathroom every day while I'm at work and tries to shave, he's just not very good at it! :LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I also would have the vet take A look today, it sounds like he has something going on?
As far as the hair on the tail Athena has some that comes and goes with hormones, maybe after being fixed today your Gulliver will loose some of his hair! but nothing to worry about.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ahhhhh I just called the vet to mention his tail, and they are doing his neuter as we speak... Keep him in your thoughts please, and I will let you know how the surgery goes :Sweat:
and any news about his tail......

Not really, no, but when I have to, it's a battle! It's funny how he'll just sit on the couch, chewing his toenails. All I need to do is put a beer next to him and turn on a football game and *POOF* instant human guy!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Looks like he has dermatitis. The doc gave him some antibiotics and said it should clear up his tail soon...

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aww poor guy. That's good that you got it checked out then. Hopefully he'll be easier on his tail once he recovers.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He's doing great and got some antibiotics for his tail, so we shall see if that helps what they say is dermatitis?

Has anyone had any skin problems with their Sphynx?

Last edited:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The antibiotics did not work, his tail is still red and scabby... let me know if you guys have any suggestions... allergy's? I'm at a loss???

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would go back to the vet or I would go get a second opinion...good luck to your poor guy, maybe oil it for the time being