Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Holiday dangers for your Sphynx!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
23,406
Points
643
I like to put this out every year being we are all caught up in the hustle and bustle of the Holidays!
Sphynx Cat Holiday Dangers

Chair Spokes that taper - cats can get their head through the wide part but may panic if they lay down and get stuck at the narrow part

Exercise Tubing - used for isometric training - they can chew a piece off the rubber tube and cause an intestinal blockage

Rubber Bands

Hide-a-Beds

Checking refrigerators, ovens, washing machines, dryers (they like the warm insides), cabinets and dishwashers

Plastic bags - like grocery bags or show curtains - some cat's enjoy chewing the wrapper the toilet paper or paper towels come in.

Paper Clips, Twist Ties or other small metal objects they think is a toy

Bowls with small openings at the top (cat can get their head stuck in it)

Cat Beds - like a fleece pillow case - another cat can lay over the opening and suffocate the animal inside

Toilets - kittens can fall in and not get out

Electrocution from cat chewing metal cords

Styrofoam - watch for those Styrofoam peanuts in the shipment box

Cat play boxes with small openings - head can get stuck

Lit Candles

Sewing Thread - even on the spool

Cigarettes - if they eat them are toxic

Needles/Fishing Hooks - especially the decorated ones

Items they can pull over on themselves and not get out of

Watch for cats getting into drawers or cedar chests - they can suffocate

Jewelry - they can be the "in home" thief and take your jewelry for a toy, swallow it and become sick.

Turkey wish bone-Don't leave them out in the open after a holiday(my female ate one and luckily passed it)

Stove tops or anything that produces heat(sphynx love heat)small electric heaters

Antifreeze

Fertilizers

Plant Food

Raisins

Grapes

Chocolate

Onions

Garlic

Alcoholic Beverages

Apple Seeds

Cherry Pits

Coffee Grounds or Beans

Salt

Tea

Yeast Dough

Human Medications

Yarn

Jewerly or Chains

Garland

Ribbons and items from presents opened X-Mas morning

Fake X-Mas tree material

Hooks for bulbs and ornaments

Light bulbs from X-Mas lights

Toys w/ Removable Parts

Leftovers Like Chicken Bones

here is the original thread http://www.sphynxlair.com/f4/sphynx-cat-dangers-3518/
 
Last edited:

Gizzymom

Banned
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Messages
1,740
Points
0
I also found out that raisins are toxic to cats... I gave Gizmo one once - he loved it!!! So I looked it up and was SO glad I did!!! It was to be a larger quantity to be toxic, so Gizzy was fine.. But no more raisins!! sorry, Giz!!
 

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
1,659
Points
238
Grapes are toxic which explains why raisings are....
They only discovered in the last 10 yrs or so in vet medicine that grapes are toxic..usually small dogs eat some and get sick. I think white ones are worse? Cant remember but one colour is worse than the other.
 

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Jun 9, 2010
Messages
1,703
Points
238
Noforatu you are definitely right about grapes. My mothers last siamese had to go into rehab. Yes - he had been drinking the left over wine when everybody was asleep. It took many years and some old age to put him into the vets rehab center, along with a thyroid removal and a lot of expense. RIP Chongo. He eventually died of old age. He did have a lot of health problems and I believe that some of those complications were due to his heavy drinking.
 
Top