Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HOME COOKED DIET?

Hi everyone....Sheryl here with the two diarrhea girls, Sammie & Lily. Does anyone do a home cooked diet for their Sphynx, and if so, why, and what? I am willing to do just about anything for my two Sphynx.

***BTW....Totaly off subject, but I always enjoy looking at the pictures on here of the Sphynx, and all of you have absolutely GORGEOUS sphynx!!!
Sheryl

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho's main diet is her dry cat food, however my dogs have a home cooked diet of homemade chicken and rice and Meecho will sit and eat their food as well or I should say steal their food :LOL:

All we do is boil a whole chicken for like two to three hours then take all the skin and fat out of the water then shred the chicken and add rice to it. It is a little time consuming but it makes a huge batch.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have done that with my dog as well! I used boneless breasts more $ but easier. Then mix with white rice!
I don't think that is good for A sphynx though I am not sure it has enough vitamins and such, if you choose this I would add A supplement of some sort.

Hi everyone....Sheryl here with the two diarrhea girls, Sammie & Lily. Does anyone do a home cooked diet for their Sphynx, and if so, why, and what? I am willing to do just about anything for my two Sphynx.

***BTW....Totaly off subject, but I always enjoy looking at the pictures on here of the Sphynx, and all of you have absolutely GORGEOUS sphynx!!!
Sheryl
The home cooked diet can be done. The good thing about it is that you know exactly what's going into your pet's food. BUT, and this is a biggie, cat's have very specific dietary requirements - taurine being one of them - and if they don't get the proper amounts, it can cause heart and vision problems. I used to make my dog's food, but because of the more strict requirements for cats, I'm afraid to make food for the cats...

There are books and websites with recipes for cat food. If you choose to go that route, I'd recommend getting your vet involved, and having blood work done to make sure they're getting the right nutrients. If done right, it could prove to be a very good thing because it does sound like their tummy issues are food related...