Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Home Gotcha!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gosh I moved 4 months ago and it's been one problem after another.....home ownership is no walk in the park but I wish you much happiness in your new home.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We've actually all stayed after that first night.
The wood burner in the living room works, but the one in the kitchen is unsafe until the chimney guy replaces the flue.
Which *should* have happened last Monday, but alas, it has taken until today to figure out why he hasn't done it yet -- I need a new Devi (Estimate) because the old one is in the previous owner's name. Fricken bureaucracy.
Of course, NOW it is COLD out, so I am heating with everything I can to keep the other side of the house warm. (Paraffin heater to the rescue.)
Still, the living room is toasty warm and the girls are loving that.
20181111_230401.jpg

Yes, you see right. All three on the sofa (and on me).
It lasted about 30 mins, then they dispersed into their respective corners / fleeces.
But hey, I take 30 mins of peace any day.

All the girls have been outside, exploring, not going far from the front door. There will be a cat flap that is set to "allow in-but not out" in case one zips outside. It's -3C atm (and I'm toasty warm! *does a happy dance*), so the LAST thing I want is one getting out and not able to get back in, so I err on the side of caution and will have a cat flap installed.

They love the fire and all sit near it.

In the meantime, I need a new washing machine, and a new oven. The oven is tripping the electrics all the time and it's not worth repairing it. The washing machine washes...drains...but doesn't spin. At all. Regardless of setting.
Again, it'll cost more to repair it than to get a new (second hand) one. But it does piss me off, if you pardon my French.
The fridge is WAY too small, so that will go into the Gite eventually. I already have a good fridge freezer, so no problem there.
There is a humongous standing freezer -- it's gotta go. It's way too big for me. So that'll be sold.
The posts and electric fence are in the "winter" field, so now we need to get the field shelter over and rebuilt, which will happen on Friday / Saturday. I'm sourcing a big "bucket" water trough tomorrow as well.
Met the local Farmer on Monday -- well, I waylaid him on Saturday, introduced myself, and said if he ever wants to pop in for coffee, just knock on the door. :) So he said he'll come over with his family on Monday.
They promptly arrived at 10am -- and I'm in my bathrobe, hair in all directions, sick as a dog on the sofa... LOL
Great first impression on his wife. :)
The cats were eyed with great suspicion. :p
Guy, the chimney sweep, kept telling me that they are "Tres Original!" and he loved stroking them. :)
Anyway, it turns out that the Barn (Remember the barn I'm wanting to buy?) belongs to Serge -- but the land belongs to his mother, and they aren't speaking. So he can't rent or sell it to me. However, once the situation is resolved, I have first shout.
On top of that, I asked him if he knows a local farmer who would have round bales of hay for sale, and he went "ME!"
So he's going to bring me hay as and when I need it, which is awesome, since then I don't have storage problems or rotting hay because it got wet or something.
Now, once the field shelter is up, and I have electric available outside for the energizer -- the horses can move in.
I have one or two people who will probably chauffeur them over for me, so that part just needs some organizing.
Oh yeah...
I've ordered the FIBRE OPTIC today!!
There was a big meeting in town about it today, and with a bit of luck, I *might* get it for Christmas -- but probably not. (It takes 4-6 weeks)
Okay, that's my update for now. :)
Laters!!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's getting mighty cold outside atm, and yesterday I woke to some heavy frost.
IMG_6467_sm.jpg

Pretty though.
IMG_6438_sm.jpg

This was taken a few days ago, on a foggy morning.

IMG_6414_sm.jpg

Just days before that, the girls were able to walk in the sunshine. That's Pixie and Livvy.
And while they still fight, it's a lot less. Especially since they now have a whole house to run around in.
20181108_090959.jpg

20181108_090953.jpg

Pixie and Jez SHARING a chair!!
(Didn't last long)

But yeah, I'll take small miracles any day. :)