Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Honking and Gagging

holly_savage

Banned
So I need your advise and opinions on something...last night and again a few times today Hibou is making these "honking" noises...sounds like she's got a furball or something. The noise was so high-pitched and loud that I bolted awake in the middle of the night to hearing this...at first I thought one of us had rolled over ontop of her and she was squished....:Surprise:..then I thought maybe Greg had tooted...but my sleep addled brain then realized it was the cat!

She is by no means any different than her normal self, ate her whole big can of food this morning as well as some kibble, then at lunch was running around like a little devil chasing her birdie...so apart from the occasional honk/hoark...she seems fine.

Have any of you ever dealt with this? If so any thoughts on what it might be?

PS...I can't wait to see what the banner add at the top decides to spit out with this title! LOL

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm, I'm no expert but I tend to think it's something Hibou ate. Or maybe she ate a little too much. Or, maybe it is just a hairball. I hope the Hiboumeister doesn't continue this behavior.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So I need your advise and opinions on something...last night and again a few times today Hibou is making these "honking" noises...sounds like she's got a furball or something. The noise was so high-pitched and loud that I bolted awake in the middle of the night to hearing this...at first I thought one of us had rolled over ontop of her and she was squished....:Surprise:..then I thought maybe Greg had tooted...but my sleep addled brain then realized it was the cat!

She is by no means any different than her normal self, ate her whole big can of food this morning as well as some kibble, then at lunch was running around like a little devil chasing her birdie...so apart from the occasional honk/hoark...she seems fine.

Have any of you ever dealt with this? If so any thoughts on what it might be?

PS...I can't wait to see what the banner add at the top decides to spit out with this title! LOL

I have no ideas, but you should keep an eye on it. Maybe an URI?

With "Honking and Gagging" I get an ad for Classmates.com.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like she may have eaten something that she should not have? Athena ate a wishbone from a turkey one and she make similar noises. Just a thought is she vomiting at all or is any thing coming out with the gag?

Bella07

Banned
I'm sorry, I have absolutely no advice, but my banner at the top of the page says,
"STOP snoring NOW!" :LOL: Sort of relates actually :Laugh:

Good Luck! Hope you figure out how to help.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It does sound like she had something stuck in her throat? Maybe a piece of one of her toys or something? Mo makes odd noises before he throws up, but they are more like low pitched retching noises.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, maybe ate something that is stuck in her throat. Keep an eye on it or any other change and if it continues see the vet! If you have access give the vet a quick call. Get well Hibou!

holly_savage

Banned
thanks everyone. Now that I am home from work, I only heard her do it once more...and it had a definite phlegmy sound to it...so URI / flare-up could be the cause. I will wait out the weekend and see how she is...and up the lysine dosage.
As long as she keeps eating and is acting "like herself"...aka normal (ha ha ha) I wont worry too much I guess.
Thanks again for all your help.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hope she feels better soon,

I got a Wyoming rebulican ad at the top of my page. Gah that is kind of creepy how "smart" the ads are.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Feel better, Hibou!!

(btw, my banner is for a NY entertainment magazine.....what does honking & gagging say about THAT publication?!?!? haha)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I think I know what you are describing.
Coco gets that.
The vet called it reversed sneezing and it did turn into a Uri.
It does sound like a honking sound and there is gagging.
I have a paper on it but it is at home.
The vet gave her doxy for it.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How very un ladylike of her, lol! Hope you get it figured out soon.

My ad was for Iams, can cats fall in love? lol love sounds like honking and gagging. Funnier still is the Gummi and Daddy thread produced an ad for "Mature Gay Dating":Surprise::LOL::LOL:

cchloerun

Banned
Hmmm I have had a lot of experience with the gagging and honking. The honking is usually characteristic of Bordetella (the same bug that causes kennel cough in dogs). I have a kitty with chronic Bordetella Bronchiseptica and he does the honking and gagging. My others have bouts of it as well when stressed. My vet (S)- I have seen many for this- usually give me Doxy and Lysein (sp) which helps the ones that don't have it chronically!
I hope she gets to feeling better!:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

holly_savage

Banned
It's getting worse. And now her eyes are getting watery. She is still eating so that is a good sign. I was watching youtube video's of cat's having an Asthma attack...it sounds alot like that. We are off to the vet tomorrow, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

holly_savage

Banned
So we went to the vet and they checked her over...no fever, lungs sound clear...her eyes are a little teary this morning, so the verdict for now is antibiotics for 10 days...if in 3 days there is not a big improvement, then I am to call and they will get her another 10 days so she will be on for 20 days. It is novolexin...the same stuff that she was on last time (March) so hopefully it does the trick again.

I am just happy that they were not overly concerned and that her lungs were clear!
Yay!

Funny how a little office visit runs up to $100 so fast...mind you I did get a new tube of the Viralys Gel (Lysine Supplement) and that costs $26.

Back