Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hoping to Adopt Retired Sphynx

LavaLove

Lairian
Hi everyone! I just joined the Sphynx Lair today. Ever since I started researching the breed, I knew I had to get one. They seem wonderful - so loving and friendly and we're pretty sure we want a retired breeder to start out with.

Here's the rub...my husband and I have wanted to interact with a sphynx before adopting. We checked with the only breeder in our area and she told us that she gets that question all the time so she's had to limit visits to adoptive families only. Since she doesn't have any retired breeders, we won't be adopting from her cattery.

Any thoughts/advice on adopting without seeing one in person before we buy? We've done tons of research & are certain it's the right pet for us, but I don't want to miss out on knowing something that only interaction can teach.

I'd love to hear from the Sphynx community on this.

Thanks!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I did not meet any of my sphynx before I got them and everything turned out fine.
Cleo and Polar came from North Carolina and Wrinkles came from San Diego.
My favorite is Cleo.
Some breeder may have retired sphynx right now.
Make sure the breeder HCM scans their cats.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Never even touched a Sphynx before we got Gulliver and didn't meet Sir Francis Bacon either.... LOVE THEM BOTH WAY TOO MUCH :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynx Lair! Are there any cat shows (CFA/TICA) in your area that you could visit? Try googling their show schedules. Best of Luck in your search!

They only one of my three Sphynx that I actually visited or saw first was Gable, and he was a rehome. I found him on Kijiji and went to the lady's home to meet her and Gable and spend some time interacting with him to see if he would be a good fit. I took him home that day! I got my Amaryllis from a great breeder in Michigan and she was shipped to me. My Butter Jones came to from from a wonderful breeder near me and I saw him in person for the first time when I picked him up but both breeders sent me pictures just about every other day!

It is up to you as some people are not comfortable having a a kitten/cat shipped to them. Depending on how many reputable breeders are in your area, home visits may not be realistic and it may limit the availability to find a retired breeder. Have you checked on Kijiji for rescues/retires/rehomes?

LavaLove

Lairian
They only one of my three Sphynx that I actually visited or saw first was Gable, and he was a rehome. I found him on Kijiji and went to the lady's home to meet her and Gable and spend some time interacting with him to see if he would be a good fit. I took him home that day! I got my Amaryllis from a great breeder in Michigan and she was shipped to me. My Butter Jones came to from from a wonderful breeder near me and I saw him in person for the first time when I picked him up but both breeders sent me pictures just about every other day!

It is up to you as some people are not comfortable having a a kitten/cat shipped to them. Depending on how many reputable breeders are in your area, home visits may not be realistic and it may limit the availability to find a retired breeder. Have you checked on Kijiji for rescues/retires/rehomes?

Thanks for the encouragement and sharing your experience! I went on the Kijiji site and there were no sphynx to be found in my area (I even searched for "sphinx" just in case). But I'll keep checking. Thanks for the resource.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is sitting next to me right now.
Her breeder said she would come right to us and she sure did.
She purred non stop.
If you get a rescue you need to be careful also because you will not have the ped or know the history of the cat

LavaLove

Lairian
Hi, not sure if you saw this thread on the Lair or if these cats are too far away for you to adopt but, there are two different posts in this thread on sphynx that need to be rehomed.
http://www.sphynxlair.com/f24/attn-nj-ca-tx-il-members-6129/

Best of luck on finding yourself a precious sphynx to love :Smile:

Thanks for letting me know about these precious cats that need a home! I saw the term hoarder/breeder a couple of times. Forgive my ignorance, but breeder sounds good and hoarder sounds bad. What does the term mean?

Gizzymom

Banned
Thanks for letting me know about these precious cats that need a home! I saw the term hoarder/breeder a couple of times. Forgive my ignorance, but breeder sounds good and hoarder sounds bad. What does the term mean?

A hoarder is a person who keeps a ridiculous amount of animals to the point where they cannot care for them properly. In this case, authorities stepped in and took all of their animals to re-home them.

LavaLove

Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair! Are there any cat shows (CFA/TICA) in your area that you could visit? Try googling their show schedules. Best of Luck in your search!

Ha! I just looked it up after your recommendation and it's happening today. Bummer. I'll do more digging.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair! I agree that a show would be a great place to talk with breeders, get info and hopefully hold a sphynx:BigSmile: I never met my Nudie before I got her and she came out of her crate just purring away and loving me. We do get some rehoming and adoptive notices here on the lair, so maybe you will find your hairless soul mate here:BigSmile:

Bella07

Banned
Yes, shows usually go on for 2 days, which is typically Saturday and Sunday. You really should try to make it out there! You will have a ton of fun. I love going to shows, and you'll get to meet many gorgeous cats and even a few reputable breeders. Let us know if you do decide to go, and how it was!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair and good luck finding a kitty. Take your time, do your research, and the right one will come along sooner or later.

bellasmom

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! I also had never seen one before getting Bella and she also is a retired mamma. I got her from a breeder out of state and picked her up from the airport and I was not disappointed!:Adore::Adore::Adore: I will PM you a breeder in my area. I dont think she has any adults listed however you can always ask. Sometimes they dont put adults on their sites.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello LavaLove and welcome to Sphynxlair! Keep checking back on Sphynxlair, our members are good at finding available or adoptable Sphynx and sharing it in our rescue section! Good luck in your search, I don't think you will be disappointed! I do highly recommend if possible to meet the kitty in question first.:ThumbsUp:

TotenEngel

Banned
I saw a picture of my little man and fell in love straight away. We went to see him, spent an hour or so playing with him and decided he was definatly the one for us! (though, I was smitten before I even met him!!)
As people have suggested, maybe try and go to some shows and meet some cats and breeders (we are going to one next weekend partly with a view to meeting the breeder of our second baby!!)
Oh, and welcome to the lair! :)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right Sphynx. Be patient and don't give up. The wait will be worth it.

firehillqueen

Banned
Welcome to the Lair. I adopted ten year old Tosca almost a year ago. She was obese and suffering from a reoccurring skin rash. She is such a dear and I can not imagine life without her. We can tell she is a happy cat now. I hope you find your special Sphynx soon.

Back