Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hoping to get adopted by a Sphynx soon.

jessica47201

Lairian
Hello Everyone-

My name is Jessica and I am new to this forum. I currently am not owned by a Sphynx but hoping it will happen soon. My cat Booger of 9 years died recently. I found him 9 years ago in a dumpster while taking out the garbage one day, the vet said he was only 3 weeks old. I bottled fed him and nursed him back to life and he was a wonderful friend to me for 9 years. Now that he is gone our other cat Wiggy(2 years old) is extremely lonely and walks around the house meowing constantly. I have been mezmerized by Sphynx cats since the first time I saw one online. I have never seen one in person but I hope to invite one in my family soon. My husband and I live in southern Indiana, have no children and now, only one cat and our cats are like our children. So if you have any pointers that a newbie, first time Sphynx parent might need to know, I am all ears. I am currently looking online for Sphynx breeders in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee. I hope to learn a lot from you guys in the future.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
If you pm me I know a good sphynx breeder in Tenn and will give you her info.
Sphynx are great cats.
I saw one at a show years ago but did not get my first sphynx until Dec 2008.
I loved her so much I had to have more.
She is the one in my Avatar.
Make sure the breeder scans for HCM it is a heart problem sphynx can get.
They need baths and have to have their ears and nails cleaned because they get oily.
They are very friendly cats and different then any other breed.
I never got to touch a sphynx until I got Cleo my first one.

jessica47201

Lairian
I have been reading about bathing / hygiene for Sphynx cats. My husband and I are pretty good at giving our cats baths. We had 2 cats (with fur) and we gave them a bath once every 2 months. They were pretty used to it and so there was no fight. Most of my friends when I tell them I want a Sphynx they say gross, or eeehhhh ugly, but I find them so beutiful, pretty and unique. I think they are amazing! I'm looking forward to having one in my life. If you have an good tips on shampoo, ear cleaning products or just whatever. Feel free to share.

I do have one question for anyone out there. My cat Wiggy is a normal, furred, Shelter kitty that we rescued. He has been fixed, but he is not declawed as I will not do that to another cat again. I am worried about when I get a Sphynx and both of them are playing, will the sphynx cat be more likely to get scratched?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello jessica47201 and welcome to Sphynxlair! Good luck on your search for your Sphynx! Sphynx are hardy little things, Leo my sphynx slap fights with our 65 pound boxer all the time! I would not worry about that too much! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

TotenEngel

Banned
Hi and welcome to the lair!
I am in the UK and thank god, declawing is illegal here! I have 3 furry boys that play with my nekkid and occasionally we notice the odd scratch mark on him though its never anything too major. If you think, all cats will have it, just that you actually get to see it on the nudey boys!

Gizzymom

Banned
YAY! Another midwesterner!! Welcome! Gizmo and I are from Illinois - just outside of Chicago. We use Earthbath products for shampooing, Cetaphil cream for moisturizing, and Epi-otic for ears... You think you are excited now? Wait until you actually get one of these creatures!! They are HEAVEN!!!:Laugh:

ktate88

Banned
Welcome to the lair!!

Niles has a furry friend Hamilton who is twice his size. They do great together! Niles will get a scratch here and there, but it almost always is gone in a day or two.

I hope your search ends soon! I was lucky to find Niles and get him quickly, but the wait can feel like forever. Enjoy your search :)

jessica47201

Lairian
Well my search for a Sphynx family member has come to a halt. I'm not really excited about it but maybe I can resume at a later time. My husband who lost his job roughly 2 years ago, has finally found a new job. YEAH! But he was just called and informed that they no longer will be needing him. BOO! Business for the company was not going as they had planned and they actually had to let go all of their new hires. So due to financial reason, he said we can not afford to spend $800+ on a kitten right now. In some ways I agree with him, but in other ways I don't. Sometime I just plan sucks to have to be an adult. But on the bright side, at least I have found a new family (SphynxLair.com) and hopefully I will be back on here sometime in the new future posting pictures of my new bald-baby.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well my search for a Sphynx family member has come to a halt. I'm not really excited about it but maybe I can resume at a later time. My husband who lost his job roughly 2 years ago, has finally found a new job. YEAH! But he was just called and informed that they no longer will be needing him. BOO! Business for the company was not going as they had planned and they actually had to let go all of their new hires. So due to financial reason, he said we can not afford to spend $800+ on a kitten right now. In some ways I agree with him, but in other ways I don't. Sometime I just plan sucks to have to be an adult. But on the bright side, at least I have found a new family (SphynxLair.com) and hopefully I will be back on here sometime in the new future posting pictures of my new bald-baby.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You don't have to have a Sphynx to enjoy Sphynx Lair.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Sorry to hear about the hault in plans,,BUT you can still hang out with us!! I've been unemployed since jan of this year, its driving me crazy and I can't wait to get back to work but I'm just trying to keep my chin up..

Goodluck and I hope the new year brings great joy!!

Back