Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Horrible Microchipping Experience!

What should I do about this?

• Tell her regular vet what happened at this appointment.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Ignore what happened and just take care of her wounds.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Talk to her vet about what happened and see if he'll give antibiotics or antibiotic ointment.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Update, Pip is going to the vet to see Dr. Drew because she has been really lethargic today compared to her normal activities. Yesterday she slept all day after her appointment and now she won't even jump or climb except up the stairs because she's in so much pain. Will keep everyone updated!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Some have reported being lethargic after vaccinations, hoping that is all it is ...but i bet it is that on top of the extra stress :(....good luck.

Patti

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bigs hugs sent to you & your lovely little lady, hopefully they can maybe give her an antibiotic injection or some kind of painkiller to stop infections & ease her pain, poor baby pippin, please let us know how she goes on & tell Dr Drew what a arse his collegue is :( xxx

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm hoping it's just her being tired and stressed out, but she isn't eating like a horse since the day before yesterday. I will definitely let him know that, especially since he's in love with our little Pippers!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG!! ....I completely know what your going thru....I also had a TERRIBLE experience with the micro-chipping also. Just like your vet visit , it started out fine . The appointment was for a simple microchip. I was kind of alarmed when they called Kairo's name and they told me I could NOT come in the back with him, and that he was in good hands. I knew something was wrong when the assistant(who was supposed to insert the chip) called the Dr. in and the Dr. called somebody else in to assist....What seemed like forever was about 17 minutes later they bring my baby back to me with blood dripping down his side and hand him to me and say "there you go" . I was shocked...all the blood scared me.. They didn't even have enough sense to wipe the blood off or at least give me something to wipe the blood off with...Instead of there being two small incisions there were three!! It looked like someone took a knife to his back!! .....They said that they had a hard time due to the fact that he has no hair and they said he wouldn't sit still!! I called the next day to complain and they confessed to me that the whole staff was scared to do it because he had no hair and they had never seen a sphynx before. ......The bleeding did stop and it seemed to bother me more than him and with a combo of Neosporin and coconut oil you cant even see them. I completely understand what you went thru and im sorry you and your baby had to go thru that...your not alone...best wishes!!
Hard time because there was no hair! Sounds like B.S.! This should have made it easier!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry you and little Pippin had to suffer this ordeal. How barbaric. I, too, would definitely have a word with the vet. Or, maybe just leave their practice all together.
I hope that sweet baby starts to feel better soon. Don't punish yourself, it wasn't your fault. You were doing the right thing. I understand your frustration. It's difficult (for me, at least) to tell an allegedly well-trained professional that they're messing up a procedure or that their information is incorrect (and I find that they are often very defensive).

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So after seeing Dr. Drew, Pippin is eating like a horse again. She's starting to dart around the house now too. He has officially said that he won't let the other doctor touch her again, especially after being rude. Pip has started warming back up to Kris (the vet tech) again and Lisa Pip's favorite receptionist. Pip was even happy today after Dr. Drew played with her for a little bit to show her the office wasn't a bad place, and gave her treats. She still shakes when outside the office though, I wish she would realize not all of them treat her horribly. :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400811977.990473.jpg

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope so, Patti. Luckily she was purring the whole time he was holding her and playing with her. He's the one vet we've felt comfortable with, especially with him helping my baby. He cares about her as if she was his own baby which is a relief, especially after the female vet was so rude to me for reporting her.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh poor Pip! Were you in the room when this happened? If I was,I don't think I could have controlled my mouth and I know I would have snatched my baby up so fast and yeah I would have totally flipped out.
I'm glad she is feeling better now. Disgust!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes..baby step. Pip is so sweet :)
Thanks, @GizmosMommy

Oh poor Pip! Were you in the room when this happened? If I was,I don't think I could have controlled my mouth and I know I would have snatched my baby up so fast and yeah I would have totally flipped out.
I'm glad she is feeling better now. Disgust!
@andreanar sadly yes I was in the room, and it made it worse since she was being held by somebody else while it happened. The time I held her when she missed the second time when once was understandable she almost got me with the needle as well. It was so hard not to just let her have it, plus to top it off she was rude just because she knew she was in the wrong. Everyone in the whole practice found out what happened since Pip's regular vet held a meeting yesterday morning after he got my email when it happened telling everyone it was not acceptable to have any animal go through that. A lot of the girls were upset it happened to Pippin of all clients it could've happened to. The vet tech is still upset about what happened and I feel bad that she's upset since she didn't do anything wrong. On a better note, Pippin is back to dashing all over the place again after gaining half a pound from sleeping all day the past two days. Chunky little critter is 4.6 pounds at 4 months old and she looks as lean as ever.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm so glad she's feeling better!! Pippin is a beauty! Is she solid blue?
Thank you, Ickushouse! Yes she is solid blue, her dad and sister are also solid blues and her two brothers are solid blacks. Her mom and dad are really quite gorgeous, and have the best personalities, but I think Pip is more like her mom.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you, Ickushouse! Yes she is solid blue, her dad and sister are also solid blues and her two brothers are solid blacks. Her mom and dad are really quite gorgeous, and have the best personalities, but I think Pip is more like her mom.
Seems to me like there aren't many solid blues out there. More blue / white like Eudo (actually, I think Eudo is turning out to be more lilac than blue). Again, really striking! I'd like to see more of her. (hint, hint)

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Seems to me like there aren't many solid blues out there. More blue / white like Eudo (actually, I think Eudo is turning out to be more lilac than blue). Again, really striking! I'd like to see more of her. (hint, hint)
The lilac and whites are really pretty though. I know I really wanted a blue to begin with since I thought they were so pretty, but I would've gladly taken any color. I'll have to post more pictures for you. :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400895614.597226.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400895638.563222.jpg

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry to hear of this for lil pippin.
And for the anguish you must have felt.
My first two were done during their spay and neuter. And when I got them back I could not even tell where they were done. My oldest came to us re homed and I have not had her done yet. ( Amira ) and my youngest isn't done yet either he came neutered already and I plan shortly to do them both.
Just FYI my breeder has advised me NOT to ever use name brand
Neosporin. Only generic because there is something in the name brand that sometimes
Sphynx have a adverse reaction to. Had she not told me I would have never thought there was a difference except for price.
Hope pippin heals well and yes you should tell your regular vet.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Horrible experience! So glad your regular vet was on your side and didn't sweep this under the rug. So glad Pip is feeling much better. (I love any color but am quite partial to the blues and pointed - especially seal or blue point (y) - Ziggy was a blue point and white, Ash is a blue point, and Sammi is a seal point.)

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So sorry to hear of this for lil pippin.
And for the anguish you must have felt.
My first two were done during their spay and neuter. And when I got them back I could not even tell where they were done. My oldest came to us re homed and I have not had her done yet. ( Amira ) and my youngest isn't done yet either he came neutered already and I plan shortly to do them both.
Just FYI my breeder has advised me NOT to ever use name brand
Neosporin. Only generic because there is something in the name brand that sometimes
Sphynx have a adverse reaction to. Had she not told me I would have never thought there was a difference except for price.
Hope pippin heals well and yes you should tell your regular vet.
Thanks! I actually started just using the ointment they gave so she has been doing better. Little butt slept until 5 pm but she earned it after her rough week and her just turning 4 months yesterday. This was the first time using this female vet for a microchip with us and we hated it, I was actually devastated her regular vet wasn't there since he adores her so much. He spoiled her rotten when he saw her on Thursday just because he knew she was in pain. One of the girls actually wanted to buy her a dress lol. Pippin is such a little mooch at times lol.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Horrible experience! So glad your regular vet was on your side and didn't sweep this under the rug. So glad Pip is feeling much better. (I love any color but am quite partial to the blues and pointed - especially seal or blue point (y) - Ziggy was a blue point and white, Ash is a blue point, and Sammi is a seal point.)
Thank you! The blues are so pretty in color. Seal points are gorgeous though, I believe her mom is actually seal point, while her dad is a blue. I love all blues though. :)

Back