Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Horrible Microchipping Experience!

What should I do about this?

• Tell her regular vet what happened at this appointment.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Ignore what happened and just take care of her wounds.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Talk to her vet about what happened and see if he'll give antibiotics or antibiotic ointment.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So today was Pippin's last set of kitten shots and her microchip was to be put in today. Her appointment was at 10 am california time, when we got there we were immediately greeted by one of the receptionists we usually go say hi to when we take Pippin to get new clothes or toys as well as treats and food for the other cats. She first checked us in and then weighed Pip who went from being 3.75 pounds last month to 4.1 this week. As we were taken back by the vet tech who absolutely loves Pippin, we saw that Dr. Drew wasn't there today which was sad since he loves Pip and he knows what he's doing. As we go into the room she immediately took Pip and started taking her vitals, and then got her vaccines ready. She also wanted to do a fecal sample when she just had one done last week and was negative for any parasites. I told her Pip already had one so they got rid of the fecal sample rod. First shot she gave was the Distemper, and the second was the rabies.....when nobody even told me she was getting that today so that set me into an irritated mood since she did it without permission. Now for the horrifying news....Pippin was supposed to get her microchip last month, but was put off until today. First one the vet did went straight through her skin to the other side leaving a big gaping hole. The second time she did it in another spot it went straight through again, another big gaping hole with Pippin screaming and her not even going where the lidocaine was put on her skin. The third try was finally done by the vet tech which she got it in on the first try. The vet tech wanted to give Pippin a little break, but the vet wouldn't do it at all. So with all the gaping holes they just used peroxide without any antibiotic ointment, and told me to keep an eye on it. So after we were done we got Pippers some new toys and extra treats. When we were headed home we discussed how furious we were and the fact that I almost cried since she was in so much pain, Pippin was even looking at the door to the exam rooms shaking which she has never done before.:( After we got home I put some neosporin on her and put a shirt on her so it wouldn't get dirt in it. Now she's sleeping after having a nice meal of her raw food, but I still feel like a terrible mommy.:cry: We have also decided to never see the vet that did this ever again, she has lost any trust with us and Pip. We are just horrified that a vet wouldn't know how to do a simple microchip like this, we have gone to multiple vets and have always had our pets microchipped, I have never seen this done to a baby I love, it just makes me want to cry. :cry: I have enclosed some pictures of what happened to Pip, I hope this never happens to anybody else!
pippin microchip.JPG
pippin microchip result.JPG
pippin after effects.JPG

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Holy cow. That is just not right. I am so sorry you and Pippin had a traumatic experience. I just can't imagine. Happy healing.

Patti
Thanks, Patti. I have never seen this happen before so I'm dumbfounded. She didn't do the third one since she could tell we were getting mad. The vet tech kept apologizing and really just wanted to do it a different day.:(

Holy cow, I would be phoning the vet who owns the clinic and asking them for an explanation. So sorry that you guys had to go through that.
Thanks, @MollysMom I'm actually considering talking to them since this was ridiculous, I could not believe what happened. The first time she said the needle was stuck and the only reason that would happen is because she was piercing through the other side, the same thing happens with body piercings. This just really got to me.:cry:

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG poor baby!!! I had to decide to never see a vet again due to a horrible experience as well.

I hope poor little Pippin heals up soon and I would have a conversation with your normal vet about it. That is just wrong to just let her bleed... the needles they give microchips with are HUGE I don't know how you could mess it up!

I would be mad too!!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is AWFUL! Poor Pippin to have to go through that and you to have to watch.

I would NEVER visit that vet again! I thought microchipping was a standard and straightforward procedure?? wow..

If it were me I would definitely complain to your regular vet, and make sure they don't get away with it scot free.. hopefully they can look into what happened.. I would also leave it as a review on Yelp if it was me, to warn others.

Hope it heals up soon and she is not too scared of the vet now :(

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG! How horrible! My heart goes out to you and Pippin. Poor baby! What a traumatic experience. I would never let that vet touch my baby again. I would definately say something to the regular vet. Don't feel like you were a bad mommy, you had no control of the situation. Your a great sphynx mom!

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Omg...Im not an aggressive person but I probably would have beat the tar out of that person. I feel sick thinking about how bad that probably hurt. Poor Pip!! I'm sure you spoiling that baby a little extra today. Hope she feels better soon.

KaiRo

Lairian
OMG!! ....I completely know what your going thru....I also had a TERRIBLE experience with the micro-chipping also. Just like your vet visit , it started out fine . The appointment was for a simple microchip. I was kind of alarmed when they called Kairo's name and they told me I could NOT come in the back with him, and that he was in good hands. I knew something was wrong when the assistant(who was supposed to insert the chip) called the Dr. in and the Dr. called somebody else in to assist....What seemed like forever was about 17 minutes later they bring my baby back to me with blood dripping down his side and hand him to me and say "there you go" . I was shocked...all the blood scared me.. They didn't even have enough sense to wipe the blood off or at least give me something to wipe the blood off with...Instead of there being two small incisions there were three!! It looked like someone took a knife to his back!! .....They said that they had a hard time due to the fact that he has no hair and they said he wouldn't sit still!! I called the next day to complain and they confessed to me that the whole staff was scared to do it because he had no hair and they had never seen a sphynx before. ......The bleeding did stop and it seemed to bother me more than him and with a combo of Neosporin and coconut oil you cant even see them. I completely understand what you went thru and im sorry you and your baby had to go thru that...your not alone...best wishes!!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you everybody for your support. Pippin has been sleeping since we got home this morning. I have actually called to file a complaint about what happened so human resources is supposed to call me back. I will be emailing her vet tonight since he knows that I worry about her plus he is fast on getting back to me. I'm going to end up making a note in my chart to make sure they don't allow her to ever touch Pippin again. I'm definitely going to complain about her on yelp, especially since last time when she went to get a fecal sample she jammed the rod up in her, and it was like a quick push like the thermometer this actually was rough. So many complaints about her and only saw her twice. :( If I didn't see the vet she liked, I would end up away from here to find one. Poor girl, she's definitely getting extra goodies today.

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
I am so sorry for your bad day and poor girl!!! That is terrible I would be having a heart attack! I had a similar situation as you when my boston terrier was a puppy. I took him to get his second set of shots and he had an allergic reaction and his eyes doubled in size and turned black and blue. I rushed him back, they overdosed him on a shot of benadryl and he had a SEIZURE! worst day of both of our lives. Scared me to death and obviously never went back to that vet again. I took him to a different vet to get fixed when he was 6 months, one of his balls didn't drop so they had to go inside him and they basically BUTCHERED him. He had like 4 inches of dirty and not neat stitches down his belly and an INFECTION. Which they of course blamed on me. I had to go back and get antibiotics to heal the infection and had to soak it 4 times a day while stuff oozed out of his tummy. Ever since he got fixed, he has had never ending bladder problems :( I know exactly how you feel. Going to someone that you are trusting with your animal and then having a situation where your animal is not cared for properly is the worst. I am going to have to do some serious research before I pick a vet for Munnkie since he has to be taken in within two days of coming home with me. Give Pip a hug for me

So today was Pippin's last set of kitten shots and her microchip was to be put in today. Her appointment was at 10 am california time, when we got there we were immediately greeted by one of the receptionists we usually go say hi to when we take Pippin to get new clothes or toys as well as treats and food for the other cats. She first checked us in and then weighed Pip who went from being 3.75 pounds last month to 4.1 this week. As we were taken back by the vet tech who absolutely loves Pippin, we saw that Dr. Drew wasn't there today which was sad since he loves Pip and he knows what he's doing. As we go into the room she immediately took Pip and started taking her vitals, and then got her vaccines ready. She also wanted to do a fecal sample when she just had one done last week and was negative for any parasites. I told her Pip already had one so they got rid of the fecal sample rod. First shot she gave was the Distemper, and the second was the rabies.....when nobody even told me she was getting that today so that set me into an irritated mood since she did it without permission. Now for the horrifying news....Pippin was supposed to get her microchip last month, but was put off until today. First one the vet did went straight through her skin to the other side leaving a big gaping hole. The second time she did it in another spot it went straight through again, another big gaping hole with Pippin screaming and her not even going where the lidocaine was put on her skin. The third try was finally done by the vet tech which she got it in on the first try. The vet tech wanted to give Pippin a little break, but the vet wouldn't do it at all. So with all the gaping holes they just used peroxide without any antibiotic ointment, and told me to keep an eye on it. So after we were done we got Pippers some new toys and extra treats. When we were headed home we discussed how furious we were and the fact that I almost cried since she was in so much pain, Pippin was even looking at the door to the exam rooms shaking which she has never done before.:( After we got home I put some neosporin on her and put a shirt on her so it wouldn't get dirt in it. Now she's sleeping after having a nice meal of her raw food, but I still feel like a terrible mommy.:cry: We have also decided to never see the vet that did this ever again, she has lost any trust with us and Pip. We are just horrified that a vet wouldn't know how to do a simple microchip like this, we have gone to multiple vets and have always had our pets microchipped, I have never seen this done to a baby I love, it just makes me want to cry. :cry: I have enclosed some pictures of what happened to Pip, I hope this never happens to anybody else!View attachment 47597 View attachment 47598 View attachment 47599

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
You would think that a professional would admit when they didn't feel comfortable performing a procedure on an animal they have not seen before. That is so crazy! I would have been livid

OMG!! ....I completely know what your going thru....I also had a TERRIBLE experience with the micro-chipping also. Just like your vet visit , it started out fine . The appointment was for a simple microchip. I was kind of alarmed when they called Kairo's name and they told me I could NOT come in the back with him, and that he was in good hands. I knew something was wrong when the assistant(who was supposed to insert the chip) called the Dr. in and the Dr. called somebody else in to assist....What seemed like forever was about 17 minutes later they bring my baby back to me with blood dripping down his side and hand him to me and say "there you go" . I was shocked...all the blood scared me.. They didn't even have enough sense to wipe the blood off or at least give me something to wipe the blood off with...Instead of there being two small incisions there were three!! It looked like someone took a knife to his back!! .....They said that they had a hard time due to the fact that he has no hair and they said he wouldn't sit still!! I called the next day to complain and they confessed to me that the whole staff was scared to do it because he had no hair and they had never seen a sphynx before. ......The bleeding did stop and it seemed to bother me more than him and with a combo of Neosporin and coconut oil you cant even see them. I completely understand what you went thru and im sorry you and your baby had to go thru that...your not alone...best wishes!!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so sorry for your bad day and poor girl!!! That is terrible I would be having a heart attack! I had a similar situation as you when my boston terrier was a puppy. I took him to get his second set of shots and he had an allergic reaction and his eyes doubled in size and turned black and blue. I rushed him back, they overdosed him on a shot of benadryl and he had a SEIZURE! worst day of both of our lives. Scared me to death and obviously never went back to that vet again. I took him to a different vet to get fixed when he was 6 months, one of his balls didn't drop so they had to go inside him and they basically BUTCHERED him. He had like 4 inches of dirty and not neat stitches down his belly and an INFECTION. Which they of course blamed on me. I had to go back and get antibiotics to heal the infection and had to soak it 4 times a day while stuff oozed out of his tummy. Ever since he got fixed, he has had never ending bladder problems :( I know exactly how you feel. Going to someone that you are trusting with your animal and then having a situation where your animal is not cared for properly is the worst. I am going to have to do some serious research before I pick a vet for Munnkie since he has to be taken in within two days of coming home with me. Give Pip a hug for me
Thanks, Alex. I'm sorry to hear about your little man, I hope the bladder infections stop. Pip came to me with an infection from her spay so her original vet at the office cleared that up right away. Both times we've seen this new vet that works there has been horrible. When I went back in to pick up her antibacterial wash the vet said "I think it would be better if you just saw Dr. Drew for now on." Like she really thinks I'm going to take Pip to her ever again. Dr. Drew has never harmed her and if she cries he always comforts her and gives her treats. This has to be one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Inexcusable unprofessional and needs to be documented.. Horrifying ..

Please please head kisses to Pippin from us and hgs to you both for having to endure such a devastating experience..

I have never had a kitty chipped during an office visit.. My vet always recommends when under ISO gas anesthesia
During spay and neuters.. I cannot say how sad I was to see poor Pippins wounds..
Heal soon Pippin!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Inexcusable unprofessional and needs to be documented.. Horrifying ..

Please please head kisses to Pippin from us and hgs to you both for having to endure such a devastating experience..

I have never had a kitty chipped during an office visit.. My vet always recommends when under ISO gas anesthesia
During spay and neuters.. I cannot say how sad I was to see poor Pippins wounds..
Heal soon Pippin!
Thanks, we've been trying to make sure she stays calm. They were supposed to give me some pain meds for her when I went back to the office after filing a formal complaint, but they didn't have any she could take sadly. Normally I get the chip when they're spayed or neutered, but Pip came to me fixed already so I couldn't get that done the way I wanted. Luckily I've kept her napping by using blankets from the dryer. I will definitely give her hugs and kisses from everyone.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my, how horrible. I would complain, report her, on yelp, BBB,
I would definitely tell and show the other Vet what she done.
I would say, I never want her to touch Pippin again.
Oh, this makes me SICK. Bless her heart. Praying she isn't suffering
and it doesn't get infected.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh my, how horrible. I would complain, report her, on yelp, BBB,
I would definitely tell and show the other Vet what she done.
I would say, I never want her to touch Pippin again.
Oh, this makes me SICK. Bless her heart. Praying she isn't suffering
and it doesn't get infected.
Thanks, Hairless! I've actually already filed a complaint and sent her vet an email with pictures of what happened. I also called and made sure they made a note in her chart that under no circumstances is she allowed to touch my child. Pip has been sleeping and getting babied all day since she didn't get any pain medication, only an antibacterial wash because I complained they didn't send her home with anything for it.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is shocking !!! I feel so sorry for baby pippin & the other cats & dogs who have had a bad microchip experience, i am so glad my blue was microchipped while he was being neutered, if what happened to pippin would of happened to my Blue i think i would of thumped the vet one !!! He defo needs reporting this is shocking treatment & it needs to be documented so no other animal is put through this, if my animals wasnt already chipped ready about your experience would of put me off for life, the needle is so thick even my staffys squeeled so i cannot imagine how pippin felt, you try & do the right thing by your baby & you both end up traumatised, horrible horrible vet :( big hugs & kisses sent for poor pippin xxx

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is shocking !!! I feel so sorry for baby pippin & the other cats & dogs who have had a bad microchip experience, i am so glad my blue was microchipped while he was being neutered, if what happened to pippin would of happened to my Blue i think i would of thumped the vet one !!! He defo needs reporting this is shocking treatment & it needs to be documented so no other animal is put through this, if my animals wasnt already chipped ready about your experience would of put me off for life, the needle is so thick even my staffys squeeled so i cannot imagine how pippin felt, you try & do the right thing by your baby & you both end up traumatised, horrible horrible vet :( big hugs & kisses sent for poor pippin xxx
Thanks, @BluesMummy Pippin will never see that vet again, her regular vet wasn't there that day and she needed her shots so we just did it. I went back and got an antibiotic ointment for her and she flinches every time I touch her wounds with the medication. I can't believe she thought she'd get to see Pip again, it took so hard not to tell her to go use the needle on her with a through and through. The times she did it they weren't even in the right place and she completely missed where she put the lidocaine which made it that much worse. Luckily Pip has been sleeping most of the day since yesterday. She did get extra toys when I went to Petco a few hours after she was home though!

Back