Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Horrible rash on my nakid

Lindsey S

Lairian
I’m hoping someone may have some insight. My bf and I had adopted our first sphynx a year and a half ago. Rey is the sweetest babe and we’ve been super lucky to have no issues with her. In the past 6 months, we were trying to get her a friend (my bf and I both work weird hours so I could tell by the time we got home, she had been so lonely). I’m allergic to normal cats, so we wanted to get another spyhnx. Luckily, the adoption center we went through the first time had found us another about 3 months after telling them we were searching.

Now this little one (Misa) has had it bad from the start. She lived in Kuwait and was transported here. We got her shortly after. Turns out she lived in a breeding house with other cats, had to fight for her food, litterbox time, etc. So she’s been a bit of a handful since we’ve gotten her. The cats have their fighting moments, but are starting to really love each other and want to sleep next to each other every night. Here’s where the problem is: about 1 week after getting her, she starting getting bumps on the one side of her skin. It eventually turned into this one HUGE rash that covered from her spine to her belly on her right side. We had no idea what was happening. I tried shea options for cats and dogs, hydrocortisone lotion, coconut oil, tried bathing her (which she had never been bathed before and it just dried her out more- she literally has no natural oils that I can see like most sphynx produce, so maybe that’s the issue?), tried switching foods, etc. We were told by the adoption group that it could be the climate change, which makes sense. So we let it go hoping it would heal itself over time. Finally after a month and a half, we took her to the vet. It was only getting worse and she had itched by her belly so much it created pussing and bloody lumps and craters under her skin, so I knew she had an infection. The vet did skin testing with no prevail and gave her antibiotics for the infection. We’re at the point today that she’s almost done with her antibiotics and the sores are gone, but her rash is still there and now starting in on the other side. We even switched to dreft laundry detergent thinking it could be our blankets when she sleeps that was causing the issue. Seemed to stop the flaring up of her rash, but it’s still there and moving around her body. She’s getting flaky on her bad side, which I guess can be seen as a good sign and her losing the dead skin, but the rash isn’t going anywhere. I’m not sure what we can do at this point and the vet said to bring her back if it’s still bad (but she even said she’s never seen a case of a rash this dramatic before so she wasn’t sure what to do). Im just hoping someone out there had a similar issue/story and may know what to do for her. She’s certainly a happy kitty, but I don’t want her to have to live like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ❤ I uploaded some pictures for reference.

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh bless you for adopting Rey and Misa.
Welcome to the lair family . We all try to help each other and will certainly chime in with our experiences .

What Antibitoics were prescribed? Some work better than other with Sphynx.
Doxycline antibiotic has worked successfully for many of our babies .
Litter scented?corn based litter ? Some kitties are allergic .
Most recemtly a member discovered Gain pods for laundry caused skin issues with her baby .
Members have had good results with the Dredt you switched to . How about fabric dryer sheets?
Shampoo scented? Is she on a medicated shampoo?
Will chime in more later when I get back-
Just wanted to kmow we are here for you and will suggest things to discuss with your vet from our personal experiences

Healing vibes sent
Does your vet have a dermatologist to refer to?

Sphynx Skin Conditions

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear Misa has such a bad rash. Did the vet take a biopsie of the rash or did a scrap test?
It could be a skin disease like uticaria pigmentosa.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I’m hoping someone may have some insight. My bf and I had adopted our first sphynx a year and a half ago. Rey is the sweetest babe and we’ve been super lucky to have no issues with her. In the past 6 months, we were trying to get her a friend (my bf and I both work weird hours so I could tell by the time we got home, she had been so lonely). I’m allergic to normal cats, so we wanted to get another spyhnx. Luckily, the adoption center we went through the first time had found us another about 3 months after telling them we were searching.

Now this little one (Misa) has had it bad from the start. She lived in Kuwait and was transported here. We got her shortly after. Turns out she lived in a breeding house with other cats, had to fight for her food, litterbox time, etc. So she’s been a bit of a handful since we’ve gotten her. The cats have their fighting moments, but are starting to really love each other and want to sleep next to each other every night. Here’s where the problem is: about 1 week after getting her, she starting getting bumps on the one side of her skin. It eventually turned into this one HUGE rash that covered from her spine to her belly on her right side. We had no idea what was happening. I tried shea options for cats and dogs, hydrocortisone lotion, coconut oil, tried bathing her (which she had never been bathed before and it just dried her out more- she literally has no natural oils that I can see like most sphynx produce, so maybe that’s the issue?), tried switching foods, etc. We were told by the adoption group that it could be the climate change, which makes sense. So we let it go hoping it would heal itself over time. Finally after a month and a half, we took her to the vet. It was only getting worse and she had itched by her belly so much it created pussing and bloody lumps and craters under her skin, so I knew she had an infection. The vet did skin testing with no prevail and gave her antibiotics for the infection. We’re at the point today that she’s almost done with her antibiotics and the sores are gone, but her rash is still there and now starting in on the other side. We even switched to dreft laundry detergent thinking it could be our blankets when she sleeps that was causing the issue. Seemed to stop the flaring up of her rash, but it’s still there and moving around her body. She’s getting flaky on her bad side, which I guess can be seen as a good sign and her losing the dead skin, but the rash isn’t going anywhere. I’m not sure what we can do at this point and the vet said to bring her back if it’s still bad (but she even said she’s never seen a case of a rash this dramatic before so she wasn’t sure what to do). Im just hoping someone out there had a similar issue/story and may know what to do for her. She’s certainly a happy kitty, but I don’t want her to have to live like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ❤ I uploaded some pictures for reference.
What food was she eating before you received her? (that's if you were given that info) and what did you switch her to. It appears to be a food allergy, many members have had luck with this L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Green Pea & Duck Dry Cat Formula | Natural Balance Pet Foods they make both wet and dry I believe. It can take a few weeks to see change with food issues, good luck! :)

bmnicho

Lairian
@Lindsey S In addition to laundry detergent and food, it's worth changing the material of blankets/bedding. Either wool or down could be causing the skin issues. We switched to a down alternative comforter and foam pillows and saw reduced rashes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staceyxxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah, as said before venison or duck n pea diets work on skin rashes! What shampoo are you using? earthbath oatmeal n a Aleo Vera shampoo seemed to help binkys rash as it stopped the itch n took the anger away!

Bless I hope you get to the bottom of it n keep us updated xxxx