Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Horrible

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
There is an ad on my Craigslist stating that a Sphynx female was found and from what I can comprehend, they think they are going to force the owners to pay a $200 finders' fee. I'd call them, get their address, and show up with the cops. Finders fee, my butt. Sure, I'd gladly pay it- WILLINGLY- but not this way!

holly_savage

Banned
that is terrible. How could a decent person charge that? I guess I answered my own question...decent...pshaw!

NOw on the other hand I guess it depends if the kitty was found ill or injured and had to have medical attention or maybe boarding costs...but a "finders fee" seems ridiculous...and self serving!:ThumbsDown::ThumbsDown::ThumbsDown:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'd give them their $200... and then I'd make them regret having accepted every dollar of it.

Actually what I would do would be to get the police involved. Pets are considered personal property in Ohio and I believe this could be considered grand larceny being as the value of the cat is over $400 and I have enough visual proof that I'm obviously her owner, plus vets who'd vouch for my ownership.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heck yeah, get the cops involved. Just tell them it's stolen. If you don't want to lie, tell theem the kitty is being held for ransom.

I'm pretty sure that whomever posted the ad is breaking the law. There has got to be a law for this type of case. Something like, "every effort must be made to return the pet and the owner has the responsibility for any expenses incurred due to boarding, supplies, or vet bills." Hell, I'm no lawyer but it sounds logical.

The person could have always taken the kitty to a shelter too. If this person gets paid, then whats to stop him/her from stealing other peoples pets and doing the same thing?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'd give them their $200... and then I'd make them regret having accepted every dollar of it.

Actually what I would do would be to get the police involved. Pets are considered personal property in Ohio and I believe this could be considered grand larceny being as the value of the cat is over $400 and I have enough visual proof that I'm obviously her owner, plus vets who'd vouch for my ownership.

Heck yeah, get the cops involved. Just tell them it's stolen. If you don't want to lie, tell theem the kitty is being held for ransom.

I'm pretty sure that whomever posted the ad is breaking the law. There has got to be a law for this type of case. Something like, "every effort must be made to return the pet and the owner has the responsibility for any expenses incurred due to boarding, supplies, or vet bills." Hell, I'm no lawyer but it sounds logical.

The person could have always taken the kitty to a shelter too. If this person gets paid, then whats to stop him/her from stealing other peoples pets and doing the same thing?

I would get the police involved too. There are people who see $$ when they see a Sphynx, and don't care that it's a living thing or a beloved family member. They are blinded by greed by holding this kitty for ransom. Or worse maybe they stole it. Shame on them.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
requesting a finder's fee -- that I have no problem with. a person can ask for anything.

Demand? I'm pretty sure that is illegal. I'd pay with out hesitation with certified funds -- cashier's check or money order -- 'cause to me the first thing would be to get my kitty back.

afterword, I would go to the police and press charges.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Demanding a finders fee is outrageous. How can they sleep at night. The only way I would understand it is if they had to give immediate vet care when found and it was to cover cost and as an owner I'd want proof of the vet visit and all related records.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
A lady here in town a few months ago was at a gas station filling up and someone opened her passenger door (LADIES LOCK YOUR DOORS PLEASE!) and took her pomeranian.

he tried to ransom her and she got the dog back with the aid of the police. tho the police were initially hesitant to get involved.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Of all the ridiculous and not so ridiculous questions I get asked when Nofuratu comes to the flea market with me every weekend and sits on his window......at least 60% of the questions somehow involve money....they ask how much he costs, if Im rich.....how it must cost a lot to get one etc and I refuse to tell people how much I paid for him for fear of someone unethical doing that sort of thing.......
Its crazy but Ive actually seen people see my cat, and they're eyes bug out and they say "omigod arent those cats really expensive?" and you can tell what they are thinking....
So we all just reply that sphynx cost as much as any purebred animal...and I only tell certain people the cost...if they seem to be genuinly interested in getting one and are asking in a polite way....
I also tell everyone hes neutered, because the next question everyone asks is about how I can breed him for lots of expensive kittens and I worry some idiot will try to steal him for that purpose so I speak very loudly when I talk about neutering and that he CANT be used for breeding.
Some people are horrible.

Of all the ridiculous and not so ridiculous questions I get asked when Nofuratu comes to the flea market with me every weekend and sits on his window......at least 60% of the questions somehow involve money....they ask how much he costs, if Im rich.....how it must cost a lot to get one etc and I refuse to tell people how much I paid for him for fear of someone unethical doing that sort of thing.......
Its crazy but Ive actually seen people see my cat, and they're eyes bug out and they say "omigod arent those cats really expensive?" and you can tell what they are thinking....
So we all just reply that sphynx cost as much as any purebred animal...and I only tell certain people the cost...if they seem to be genuinly interested in getting one and are asking in a polite way....
I also tell everyone hes neutered, because the next question everyone asks is about how I can breed him for lots of expensive kittens and I worry some idiot will try to steal him for that purpose so I speak very loudly when I talk about neutering and that he CANT be used for breeding.
Some people are horrible.

I feel the exact same way. We have paved pathways that run through parks and "greenbelts" in our area and one of the pathways goes runs next to my house. The cats love to sit in the window and and watch people go by.

When I am outside I will get those same questions about cost, aren't they expensive, etc. Husband and I both worry that someone will get some stupid idea about breaking in to take the cats. I never tell people how much we paid for them. I always just tell them costs vary depending on the breeder, whether they are a rescue, show quality, pet, sold with breeding rights, etc. By then their eyes have glazed over...:LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
When I am outside I will get those same questions about cost, aren't they expensive, etc. Husband and I both worry that someone will get some stupid idea about breaking in to take the cats. I never tell people how much we paid for them. I always just tell them costs vary depending on the breeder, whether they are a rescue, show quality, pet, sold with breeding rights, etc. By then their eyes have glazed over...:LOL:

We get the same questions!! We have the same fears also. Anytime we leave we check all the windows to make sure they are locked, etc. I worry so much that someone will steal her and try to make a buck. I never tell them either - lol I give them pretty much the same answer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about that. Every Time people ask how much I paid for Alice I say "I forget, not too much." And they go away, or I say it depends on the breeder, if their up to standard for showing, if their pets, breeders or show cats and sometimes which state. Then they get confused and leave.

I'd hate for someone to think stealing Alice would be a way to get money. Because I'd probably come after them with a baseball bat.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I get the questions also because my cats are in the window.
BTW breeders of other breeds almost have a fit at shows when I say what they cost.
You should see the look on their faces.
Then they say what not get their breed.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When we first got our boys we went to a speciality "Cats only" vet in the city where we were living. We used to get so creeped out by the people would constantly quiz us on how much they were and if we lived in the area. A few years later we moved to an area outside of the citiy limits where I felt more relax about them hanging out in the windows.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I live out in the country so I don't get pestered when we're out in the yard. But I do get a lot of the same questions/comments when we go to public places. When asked how much Pedda cost I always say that she was a gift. As far as I'm concerned she's a gift from God so I'm not really lying - am I?

holly_savage

Banned
I have those same fears. Especially when a delivery person or work man comes to the house and sees her (them now). I worry that someone will come back and steal them!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I live out in the country so I don't get pestered when we're out in the yard. But I do get a lot of the same questions/comments when we go to public places. When asked how much Pedda cost I always say that she was a gift. As far as I'm concerned she's a gift from God so I'm not really lying - am I?

I don't think your lying! :ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When asked how much Pedda cost I always say that she was a gift. As far as I'm concerned she's a gift from God so I'm not really lying - am I?

Not lying one bit....Owning a Sphynx is so heavenly that they must be a gift from God.

I have those same fears. Especially when a delivery person or work man comes to the house and sees her (them now). I worry that someone will come back and steal them!

This is why I now microchip my pets. Just for that peace of mind that if my pets were lost or stolen I'd have a better chance of getting them back.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am pretty protective too and always am asked "How Much". People these days do not use manners. I just want to ask them how much that dress or purse cost them. I have manners though.:Wink:

Back