Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

House Plants - Tips & Tricks?

kibaspirit

Lairian
Hello,

We have several plants in the house that I would really rather not part with. Worst case, I can probably bring them to work, but I LOVE having lush green in the house. We live in the far north with very little sunlight for most of the year and the green helps to mitigate seasonal depression.

I have found on the lair that many decide it is not worth it and abandon plants all together. But what about a deterrent? Here are my thoughts, if anybody has experience, please reply.

- Several plants are already hanging in corners where it would be tough for kitty to reach, not so worried about those.
- I have read that cats hate citrus, white vinegar & cayenne. My current game plan is to put lemon juice and water in a spray bottle and preemptively spray all my plants before we commute for gotcha day. That way when we return, our boy will immediately associate the plants with something he hates. In my head this strategy works.
  • As an alternative, I was going to soak a cotton ball in vinegar and put it under the plant on the soil (rather than spray and kill the plants). Apparently this smell will deter them. If that fails, putting cayenne powder around the soil.
  • Another alternative - putting a small "cat friendly" garden. With live catnip, oat grass and dill. As far as I know they can eat those & also love the oat grass. My one concern here is that encouraging any chewing on plants may cause him to shift gears onto the plants that he isn't supposed to.
I am willing to foster an effort to maintain an symbiotic relationship in the house with plants and a cat. Only one of my plants is for sure toxic to cats and that one will be coming to my office (a small ivy).

Thanks for reading my plea for plants (I am a forester, so it comes with the territory). Thanks for reading & any suggestions you may have.

B

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Try this website to see if your plants are on the list :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Green in your house is so important. It bring life to a home.
I have a lot of plants in my home. Just make sure you don't have poiseness onces they can chew on. @Sheldon13 attached a great list for checks!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think those all sound like great plans and any of them could definitely work so I would give it a go and see what happens.
I do recommend getting some cat friendly plants too like you suggested so they have their own little patch of green they can eat and sniff :)

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have quite a few plants also. We removed all that are toxic. We had one plant that Cleo wouldn’t leave alone so removed that one also. Then just spent time encouraging her to leave the plants alone. She is two now and basically ignores them. Time and patience.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Molly won that round. I tried for years to have plants... so far the only thing she has left alone are window sill cactus and my hanging spider plant. But even that I had to move because she found a way to chew the leaves once it hung down far enough. She will eat anything green and then puke it up. I like having puke-free carpet more than I like having my plants :(